Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A_Y Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Drifting with a front wheel drive car
    Hi everyone...
    I drive a 93' toyota great corolla. I'm wondering, is it possible to drift using a front wheel drive car like mine? If it is, can anyone tell me how to do it...
    Thanks for your answers...
    TheBlakNite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Drifting with fwd is a controversial issue, but I believe it can be done because I feel I've done it. The easiest thing to do is rip the E-brake. I'd do it in a parking lot and see if you can start to pull 180 degree spins. If you can do that, it might be a good idea to try 90 degree turns around a cone or something. Remember to keep on the gas. After that, you'll probably start to get a feel for the way the car will respond during a slide. The corolla is a light car, so sliding it will be relativley easy. If I can slide my Bonneville, I'm sure you can have some fun in your corolla.

(BTW, I picked most of what I just told you up from Drift Bible with Keiichi Tsuchiya. It's a good movie and it will teach you a lot.)
    spud8899 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 08:47 AM
    I like to put crate's on the back wheels that works very well
    s1rp3n15xxii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 01:02 PM
    It is impossible to hold a drift in a front wheel drive, like around a circle. However, you can oversteer a front wheel drive around a corner. Lets say you want to whip around a right turn. First make sure you are going a reasonable speed (I find 30mph to be a good starting speed). Then once you come to the turn, turn the wheel sharply right and at the same time yank up on the e-brake. You will start to feel the back end sliding up under you. You must now countersteer by turning the steering wheel a sharp left. Once your car is at almost a 90 degree angle from where you started you straighten the wheel out and let off the e-brake giving it some gas. The back wheels should grip and you should not be up against a tree or upside down. As a note, never let go of the e-brake during the slide and have your thumb pressing the button in ready to drop it. Also, never panic during the maneuver, the key is to be relaxed yet cautious and ready. Remember, to drift you must loose control of the car and you are forcing the car to go sideways which it was not created to do. There is always a risk of the car being torn into pieces. For example, the axle can snap, a tire can be torn right off the rim, your suspension can brake. If you care about damaging your car I do not recommend drifting it. Further more, always watch your rpms, tire tread, brakes, etc. Also, over time your e-brake cord will start to loosen and will have to be tightened.

In response to the crates under the back tires, fast food trays work so much better.
    Nin13 Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Oct 18, 2008, 09:23 AM

Yup! Its possible you will have to drive in reverse for that!
    dizave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Using the e-brake is a great way to drift a fwd car... if you're a chimpanzee. The proper way to drift a FWD car is to approach a corner hot. For example, let's use a left turn arrow through a very wide intersection. Ensure you have an open area in front of you and no oncoming traffic. Now, as you approach the turn between 50 and 60mph, at about 30 yards out let off the gas for a moment. (Beginners will have to stab the foot brake for a quick burst) You've just thrown all the weight of the car to the front wheels and lightened the load on the rear prepping it to break loose. Without touching any pedals, make a moderate turn on the steering wheel and hold it... hold it... hold it... halfway through the corner the rear WILL break loose and begin to slide around, now countersteer and ride it out! Viola. High speed drift without the use of an e-brake. I've been doing this for years in an '89 CRX, a '98 Integra GSR, and now an '05 RSX Type S. The Integra had the best results because I lowered it 2" and put a camber kit on the rear. This left the front tires with negative camber and the rear was set to be neutral... ideal for FWD drifting.
    Kimitaru88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Yes, you can drift in a FWD car. Though it is more complicated than executing one in a RWD car, it is very possible and is done by several drivers on a daily basis. Start in a large parking lot like everyone says. Do not use full sized polls or vehicles when you are first starting.

Basic principles apply. Ride straight towards your (Cone), reaching 20-25 miles per hour, leaving the cone on the left side of your car. Once you approach the cone, pull the Emergency brake for just a second and crank the wheel. Think of it as a 180 degree turn around, only press the gas-pedal then depress, then press again to keep the tires spinning.

It's not as hard as it seems. You can find all sorts of sites and videos on YouTube on how to drift a front wheel drive car. I use my '91 Pontiac Sunbird for Drifting. It helps when you get rid of all weight in the trunk and have a lighter vehicle. The heavier the car or truck, the more momentum you will need to keep the drift longer.

Hope this helps.
    Kimitaru88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dizave View Post
    Using the e-brake is a great way to drift a fwd car....if your a chimpanzee. The proper way to drift a FWD car is to approach a corner hot. For example, let's use a left turn arrow through a very wide intersection. Ensure you have an open area in front of you and no oncoming traffic. Now, as you approach the turn between 50 and 60mph, at about 30 yards out let off the gas for a moment. (Beginners will have to stab the foot brake for a quick burst) You've just thrown all the weight of the car to the front wheels and lightened the load on the rear prepping it to break loose. Without touching any pedals, make a moderate turn on the steering wheel and hold it....hold it...hold it....halfway through the corner the rear WILL break loose and begin to slide around, now countersteer and ride it out! Viola. High speed drift without the use of an e-brake. I've been doing this for years in an '89 CRX, a '98 Integra GSR, and now an '05 RSX Type S. The Integra had the best results because I lowered it 2" and put a camber kit on the rear. This left the front tires with negative camber and the rear was set to be neutral...ideal for FWD drifting.
    (((Just one problem with that.))) For BEGINNERS, I suggest using the Emergency brake. Like with any FWD car, you stand the risk of just driving in a straight line, no matter how far the wheels are turned. They need safety, not just jump out there right away on a roadway. With a rear-wheel-drive car, usually you spin in circles. Traveling that fast, if you screw up, you're going straight over the curb. Remember that. They need to think logically about practicing first.
    firegx66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Here's how to do a hand brake turn, put into first, go about 20 to 25 mph, put your left hand over the steering wheel,and put your right hand on the button pressing down and holding the hand brake button,steer to the LEFT,PRESS CLUTCH,BRAKE,AND PULL HAND BRAKE,once you reached your point of where you wish to go,you release the button on your handbrake and get enough revs to make the car go again,in first gear of course.
    marcopolo5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 11:52 AM
    You can always "scandinavian flick" a car around a corner, by approaching, fast, along the outside of the corner. Just before turning in, yank the wheel AWAY from the turn, then quickly, while hammering the brakes, turn in. the rear wheels should break loose and slide around the corner, helping point the front end toward the exit. Please don't try this on public roads, though- you'll need space between you and the nearest unwanted object (curb, tree, ditch, parked car, pedestrian, etc.). In iced- over parking lots you can attempt this at a lower speed. Also, with "tray drifting" where you attach mcdonalds trays to the rear wheels, you can drift like a pro drifter in an rx7, even if you're a 50 year old bloke in a toyota prius.
    camo9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
    The guy who said it wasn't possible to hold a front wheel drive drift is completely mistaken. You can hold a drift by keeping on the gas and just lightly pulling your e brake whenever you feel the car is starting to straigten out. Get enough practice and you can drift your front wheel all day.. Good luck
    camo9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
    The guy who said it wasn't possible to hold a front wheel drive drift is completely mistaken. You can hold a drift by keeping on the gas and just lightly pulling your e brake whenever you feel the car is starting to straigten out. Get enough practice and you can drift your front wheel all day.. Good luck
    marcattack24sk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 11:57 AM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKifH1v0HPQ
    Johnsonisstupid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
    Yes you can
    sorinapo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Comment on s1rp3n15xxii's post
    it is possible to do just watch this video... a Japanese guy do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyI20xqrj7k
    jonburf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2011, 02:47 AM
    In response to s1rp3n15xxii, sliding a car does not mean that you are losing control of it. Controlling a slide is perfectly possible in a fwd car.
    If you just want to whip a car around a cone then the handbrake will work fine. But if you want to slide around a corner the best method in most FWD cars is to attack the corner with throttle and turn in sharply then lift of the throttle suddenly. You can also try to brake with your left foot at the same time to increase the effect. This should unhook the back end as it shifts the weight of the car off the back. The slide happens because the weight is already on one side of the car because of the corner. You will need to be getting along for this to work.
    Caution though, since counter steering will be needed fairly quickly. Not one to be tried on the road for the first time.
    xxTONFOxx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 11:44 AM
    Its very possible to drift fwd cars but drifting a round-about is rediculously hard at most I've gotten half way, ill give you a few tips but it'll only apply if you have a manual. The easiest thing to start is find some dirt/gravel with abit of space and start with the 180 the easiest thing to start with. All you have to do for the 180 is get abit of speed flick the wheel around pull the e-brake(putting the clutch in makes it easier) and once you are facing where you came power away and your done.
    Then for actual drifting round corners again find a large patch of dirt/gravel and lay a few cones out or anything as markers your comfortable with the possibillity of your car hitting(I personally just found a gravel carpark the has a few turns in it and did it there but it can go south pretty easy so try the cones first) when you have your corner either marked or real drive around it as you normally would and rip and hold the e-brake which will make the back of the car swing round as this happens apply oppesite lock and more throttle I find 2nd gear is usually good for this if your trying to save your diff with unnessecary wheel spin.
    Once your used to the motion of the car drifting now its time for wet ashphalt, for which you will need your clutch it makes things a lot easier.
    The 180 is very much the same you might just need a bit more force to bring the car around faster steering or more speed will help.
    Back to actual drifting! When you find a place your comfortable with continue to mark out your cruve or find a nice wide bend where there's no chance of traffic or pedestrians so your not endangering anyone without there permission lol, once your all set up head towards the curve at a normal pace and pull and hold the e-brake whilst steering into the corner then as the rear end comes out apply oppesite lock don't worry if nothing happens the road may be a bit grippy in this case when your going around putting the clutch in will get the rear end moving but again if nothing happens it might be real grippy in which case find a slightly more slippery place, doing a few burnouts will give you a gauge on how easy the wheels will spin. There's really not too much else to it other than a bit of practice!
    As for the dry roads I personally don't do it much because there's a lot more strain on the car and everything is a lot faster but there is one trick I frequent in the dry and that's the hand brake park.
    It involves a bit of a scandinavian flick and good e-brake timing but it is fun and impressive when pulled off. All the handbrake park involves is practice as usual, find a nice abandoned car park with open parks so if you go to far or wide you won't hit anything, to do it simply come up to the carpark at about 20-30km/h steer away from the carpark a bit then immediately into the park, as you steer towards the park pull the e-brake and as you line up with the park release the e-brakeand roll forward into the park nicely and check it make sure it all good then high five yourself once you have it down.
    And that's all there is to it just make sure to keep safe and don't do anything stupid and slowly inch out of your comfort zone. As others have mentioned about the scandinavian flick I personally don't like it because my suspension hates it and I have had a better success rate with the e-brake.

So happy drifting and for anyone that says fwd drifting isn't drifting I agree but everyone's entitled to some sideways action regardless of their car
    xxTONFOxx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Oh by the way I'm interested in everyone else's results

My best fish tail on wet roads is 5 in a row and gravel I got 11 last night

Also the longest slide I've held after leaving a corner was roughly 60m in the wet and as for gravel we measured the tracks as 110m mind you it might be a bit less from the trundle wheel bumping on stones lol
    oildale23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 12:11 PM
    NO it is impossible to drift a fwd car, if you want to be able to drift your corolla you have to concert it to RWD or AWD. Now you can hit corners and slide around it, can do tricks such as 180/360 spins but you cannot drift a FWD car. Most people think that drifting is just sliding around corners but that is false. Drifting consists of moving your vehicle sideways on a strait way as well. The fallowing video will show proper drifting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YCo20w1Psk in the video you will notice how the vehicles move side to side and only when ending the circuit do they go strait and come to a stop. A FWD car, race wise is only good for circuit/drag/sprint races. Now if your wanting to do some slanky drag with your corolla and have a powerful engine I suggest putting two food trays under the rear wheels and hit the road, by doing that it will cause the necessary traction for drifting. You will not win any competition that way but its can be fun.
    oildale23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
    And to Sorinapo that race in the video you posted was a free style circuit not drift. The civic slides around corners (which any car can do) yet does not go sideways on any strait aways. (which is drifting, drifting is taking the track with your vehicle driving at angles once your vehicle moves strait the drift ends and the points end) sliding around a corner does not consist of drift. He slides around corners goes strait for a few seconds then slides the next corner (not drifting), not only that but even the speed posted is 76 miles per hour, taking hard point hits at each corner which at the high rate of speed he is hitting the corners sliding he has the momentum to wrap around the corners. Drifting is 45-55mph. Which also the highest gear you would jump into is 3rd and that's a big if.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help Hot wheel down toilet! [ 4 Answers ]

HELP! My son flushed a hot wheel down my up stairs bathroom toilet what do I do, can't see it?

Mower wheel locked [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toro self-propelled mower. I was mowing today and all-of-a-sudden the rear left wheel locked. Any ideas?

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search