Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jalute Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 10:56 AM
    How to do forced defrost on Maytag fridge/freezer
    I have maytag rsd2200eam side by side fridge. Fridge side had been getting warmer over a week now.. I cked airflow vents were free of ice.. Cleaned out fridge and freezer found ice on lower back wall of freezer and the evaporator coils frozen pretty solid.. But while emptying freezer I did find a piece of plastic blocking about 80% of bottom grate vents in bottom of freezer. I defrosted coils completely and plugged in again.. Took off perfectly and two days later good temps on both sides ( I have not put much back into either side of fridge/freeze yet). Took off freezer panel after two days and all coils are clean, just a little frost on bottom four rows of tubing behind/thru coils.. How long do I let it run to see if it freezes over again? Could the plastic have been blocking the air flow enough to cause the evap coils to freeze over? Or is it still the defrost cycle? If so is there a way to check if (1) defrost timer, (2) defrost thermostat, Or (3) defrost heater is faulty by myself?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 8, 2007, 12:13 PM
    I'd give it another week before trying more repair. 80% blockage by the plastic was more than enough to cause the freeze up. Air must be circulating to be effective.
    blownb310 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jalute View Post
    I have maytag rsd2200eam side by side fridge. Fridge side had been getting warmer over a week now..?
    I have the same refrigerator with the same problem. It's 13 years old now. I too, found the coils frozen over. I defrosted the unit and it worked fine again for about twelve days, but now I am back where I started, with 50 degree refrigerator temps. The cooling coils are once again frozen. I tested the defrost timer and it seems to work fine. What am I left with the defrost thermostat and defrost heater? How do I check them?

Jalute, what was the end result of your problem please?

Thank you,

Mike
    blownb310 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blownb310 View Post
    The cooling coils are once again frozen. I tested the defrost timer and it seems to work fine. What am I left with the defrost thermostat and defrost heater? How do I check them?
    I found the problem myself. It was the defrost heater element. It was physically broken at the bottom of the cooiling coils that were frozen over. The coiled heating element is housed inside of a glass tube. The tube cracked, water got in, and the element failed. This is a very cheap fix, just plug in two wires on the new one. Ebay is your friend.

Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removal of the freezer panel (Maytag refrigerator) [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maytag refrigerator MTB1504ARW. Could anyone be so kind to explain me how I can remove the sheet metal panel inside of the freezer section to check the coils for ice buildup? I have tried this but the panel doesn't come off easily so I am worried not to brake something. Cheers!

Maytag Side-by-Side Freezer ice buildup on floor of freezer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a five year old Maytag side-by-side #MSD2754GR. I have had this problem for the last four years and have cleaned out the clogged drain plug each year myself. Seems that the ice buildup is coming somewhere else since water is not dripping down the back. Yes, it is humid and we are using...

View more questions Search