Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 09:37 PM
    New Year's Resolutions - How to Keep Them?
    Hi, All!

I'm just wondering about the mindset that you might use in order to keep your New Year's resolutions. That is, if you have any New Year's Resolutions.

It's going to be the New Year very soon. I have some things that I'm resolved to do. But, it's hard for me to come up with strategies to actually achieve that which I'm resolved to do.

What are some strategies that you might use in order to achieve that which you might be resolved to do, please?

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2009, 09:42 PM

Don't have them,don't want them,don't need them.

I know what I have to do and I usually give up something during lent.

If I were going to have any I would say be realistic in your expectation and don't attempt something to just set yourself up for failure,that's feels lousy.
    No one needs that.
    Know your limits and be real.:)
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 09:50 PM
    Thanks, artlady!

I can understand the "being real" part. I too, normally give up something during Lent.

It's just that the start of a New Year, seems, at least to me, a chance to reflect and try to do something that's "new", that might make an improvement to my life.

There's been a brief period of respite, because of the holidays...

I would simply like to make a resolve to do something that I haven't done previously, but am looking for the mindsets that others might "get into" in order to achieve that which they've resolved to do.

Thanks!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2009, 10:05 PM

I don't make New Years Resolutions. Personally I think they are pointless, because most of the time people make unrealistic goals! I had a friend who wanted to lose 5 dress sizes by the end of winter, and another to quit smoking cold turkey...

Needless to say, she kept eating and he kept smokin' ;)

Happy New Years guys :)
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 10:13 PM
    Okay, I just thought that I would give it a try...

My goals are realistic, though.

I will say, that it seems to me to be much easier to keep a goal because of it being a religious season.

Thanks!
    simplepine Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2010, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    I don't make New Years Resolutions. Personally I think they are pointless, because most of the time people make unrealistic goals! I had a friend who wanted to lose 5 dress sizes by the end of winter, and another to quit smoking cold turkey...

Needless to say, she kept eating and he kept smokin' ;)

Happy New Years guys :)
    I quit smoking cold turkey.

MY new years resolution, is to get in shape, slowly but surely.

I do as many push ups as I can before I go to bed, I get up in the morning and stretch and run. 4 days in, I'm still doing it, but its only four days, Wish me luck!
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 12:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simplepine View Post
    i quit smoking cold turkey.

MY new years resolution, is to get in shape, slowly but surely.

I do as many push ups as i can before i go to bed, i get up in the morning and stretch and run. 4 days in, I'm still doing it, but its only four days, Wish me luck!
    I knew someone years ago, who quit smoking cold turkey. It worked!

Good for you with sticking to a regimen of some kind, simplepine!

Congratulations! :)

Thanks!
    seashell99 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Jan 6, 2010, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Okay, I just thought that I would give it a try...

My goals are realistic, though.

I will say, that it seems to me to be much easier to keep a goal because of it being a religious season.

Thanks!
    Not sure that I agree with you. I think people tend to make new goals due to the fresh, new year. Then, reality hits and about 95% of those goals are never reached.

As far as realistic goals, if they are realistic, then you should be able to achieve them provided that you 1) want them and 2) can stay motivated to achieve them. (don't even ask about how to stay motivated, I;m still working on that one!)
    -shel
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 03:30 AM
    Whoever has made New Year's Resolutions, have you been keeping yours or even started on them?

I'm having trouble even starting mine...

Thanks! :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fordyce spots on penis (resolutions?) [ 4 Answers ]

White bumps just underneath the skin from the bottom of the penis shaft to about 3/4 of the way up, the more noticeable ones are lower down or on the underside, and could be sebaceous prominence (hair follicles). Nothing feels weird or any symptoms of any kind, just kind of there. The weird thing...

Notice and resolutions [ 2 Answers ]

I am a student and I have a presentation tom. On notices and resolutions . The teacher wants it to be very practical. Please help me accordingly I would also like to know where can I find a notice and a resolution of any company as I can handover to my classmates as an example. Suggestions...

Lines on my screen at certain resolutions. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dell Monitor and I'm working with resolution 1152*864 although the recommended resolution is 1024*768, I noticed lately curved lines at the right and left edges of the screen looks like the lines of a magnetic field, these lines appear only at 1152*864 resolution and disappear on higher or...

Fit all screen resolutions [ 3 Answers ]

I am using a backgroud image in a web site, how can I make it to fit any screen size or resolution, I set all to 100% but it still displays different on different pc's, please email me at [email protected] Thanks

How supportive of UN resolutions will Obama be? [ 2 Answers ]

How far do you think Obama will go in supporting UN resolutions? Will he defend the US Constitution as he swore to do, or will he support resolutions that counter our Constitution? It is a vital question that we need to keep our eyes on. We don't want to wake up some morning to discover that we...

View more questions Search