Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wrinky Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2014, 06:45 AM
    Hot point 40 gal gas hot water tank Model HG40T1A
    I suddenly have a leak at the top of the unit coming from a hexagon bolt type fixture! Just had it serviced for winter, cleaned and checked, last week! There is a 6 year warranty on the unit and it is only three years old. Shut off water valve to the unit and drained the water from the fixture at the bottom of the unit until no more water would flow. Got about 1/2 a pail worth of water. Checked on the unit again and the same leaking is happening! Went through the same steps of draining the water from the bottom fixture 3x now! Why is this happening to begin with and how do I stop the leak until I get a technician out here? Thank you.
    Rose

Oct 30, 2014, 07:35 AM
    Hotpoint 40 gal hot water gas tank Model#HG40T1A
    Hot water tank leaking on top through a hexagon bolt type fixture. I shut the water off, turned off pilot light and drained water from the fixture located toward the bottom of the tank. The amount of water that came out was a 1/2 bucket full. I closed this fixture and shortly thereafter, the same thing with the leaking through that hexagon bolt fixture on top of the tank was leaking! How do I stop this reoccuring leakage and also, why is this happening; can it be fixed??
    Thank you,
    Rose
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 07:36 AM
    You should call the technician back immediately, as it may be as simple as tightening the bolt, no telling, but there should be no reason for anything less than an immediate response. Did you try tightening the bolt on top?

Oct 30, 2014, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You should call the technician back immediately, as it may be as simple as tightening the bolt, no telling, but there should be no reason for anything less than an immediate response. Did you try tightening the bolt on top?
    Yes, I do have a wrench! Lol! I will give it a try and tighten that bolt! Thank you so much! I have no clue of problems or how to approach a solution with this item! I don't have my good ol dad anymore to call who would guide me through ANY problems I had!!
    I appreciate your response! Thank you so much! I'll let you know if that's the solution! 😃
    Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 07:55 AM
    I hope it is that simple, however turn off the water supply first as a precaution just in case it's NOT so simple.

Oct 30, 2014, 07:57 AM
    The bolt won't budge!

The bolt won't budge!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 08:03 AM
    I'm not a plumber, but if this is still in warranty, any work you do on it may void your warranty. Time to call for service.
    Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinky View Post
    The bolt won't budge!

The bolt won't budge!!
    You tried, call the tech. It ain't so simple. Should be for the tech though.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 08:26 AM
    The hex nut you are referring to is the anode rod. An anode rod is a sacrificial rod immersed in the water to reduce corrosion in the tank. These have a fine thread and are screwed quite tightly. Takes quite a bit of force to break the loose after a period of time. You will never move it with a wrench. Use a 6 point socket and a 1/2" breaker bar to tighten

I have never heard of one of these leaking unless someone replaced it and didn't properly tighten the replacement. In other words, I have never heard of one of these leaking from the factory. Further more, to start leaking after 3 years, is very strange indeed.

Just had it serviced for winter, cleaned and checked, last week!
    I am a very suspicious person. Was that done under some service maintenance contract? Will its repair come under the contract or will it be for a fee?

Then there is the "Anything can happen" category of life.
    The fitting that the anode rod screws into is welded to the tank. That weld could have broken loose and the leak is occurring not from the anode rod but from the weld. Tank leaks almost always occur at welds. While this does come under the "any thing can happen " category it is most likely what has happened and should be covered under the tank warranty.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2014, 10:01 AM
    I agree with Hkstroud this can be the Anode rod, the anode rod is attached to the Hex nut and it requires 1 1/16" socket and it is very tight you will need a breaker bar and have some one to hold the tank.

To remove the anode shut the water to the water heater drain approx. 5 gal water now try to remove it with the proper tool and help from some one, when it is removed inspect the anode rod and the fitting for any crack or corrosion if every thing is good clean the threads apply some Teflon tape, install and check for leak, if you have further problem contact the Rheem tech support at 800-431-1549 or 800-432-8373 have your model number and Serial number ready before you call them, also I have attached a PFD file please open it for more information, good luck.

John
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 1201.pdf (254.2 KB, 97 views)
    Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 10:33 AM
    Tinkering around on your own may void your warranty, and cost more than its worth, so make the call FIRST to your Hotpoint tech, and then decide what you should do after you get the facts.

Oct 30, 2014, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinky View Post
    The bolt won't budge!

The bolt won't budge!!
    A Friend is coming over to look at the water tank. Called the plumber and he wants $100-150 dollars to replace the seal on the hexagon nut thing (if that's the problem)!
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2014, 01:47 PM
    Once you remove the hexagon nut you will see what the problem is normally the anode rod does not fail soon, thanks.

John

Oct 30, 2014, 02:12 PM
    Thank you so much everyone for your input!! It is greatly appreciated, especially John, (afaroo)! The PDF file attachment is very informative and helpful with everything I need to understand my tank better and info on who to call to fix the problem! 😄
    Cant ask for anything more than that! 😃
    Have a great day everyone!
    Rose

Oct 30, 2014, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    The hex nut you are referring to is the anode rod. An anode rod is a sacrificial rod immersed in the water to reduce corrosion in the tank. These have a fine thread and are screwed quite tightly. Takes quite a bit of force to break the loose after a period of time. You will never move it with a wrench. Use a 6 point socket and a 1/2" breaker bar to tighten

I have never heard of one of these leaking unless someone replaced it and didn't properly tighten the replacement. In other words, I have never heard of one of these leaking from the factory. Further more, to start leaking after 3 years, is very strange indeed.

I am a very suspicious person. Was that done under some service maintenance contract? Will its repair come under the contract or will it be for a fee?

Then there is the "Anything can happen" category of life.
    The fitting that the anode rod screws into is welded to the tank. That weld could have broken loose and the leak is occurring not from the anode rod but from the weld. Tank leaks almost always occur at welds. While this does come under the "any thing can happen " category it is most likely what has happened and should be covered under the tank warranty.

The he check and clean of the hot water tank is through the Nicor Home Solutions program. And no, they don't do plumbing repairs and referred me to someone and yes, I will have to pay a fee! There was only an1!year warranty on parts!
    Thank you also for all your helpful knowledge! 😄 Rose
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 30, 2014, 03:02 PM
    Reading John's PDF on yearly maintenance.
    The anode rod should be removed from the water heater's
    tank annually for inspection
    I was a bit surprised to see removal and inspection as a part of yearly maintenance.
    If this was done, as recommended by the manufacturer, then it is quite likely that the technician simply did not properly tighten the anode rod.
    So, if the technician removed and inspected the anode rod he should return and correct the leak.

Your question to Nicor Home Solutions should be, "Is inspection of the anode rod part of the your yearly maintenance program?"

PS
    Be sure your friend uses a 6 point socket when attempting to tighten the anode rod. Anything else and you risking damaging it and then you will have a very difficult time removing it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2014, 09:27 PM
    Hello Hkstroud,

I have a Whirlpool gas water heater model #NU50T121-403 installed in 5 years ago and I do the anode rod inspection almost every year haven't have any problem with it, I agree with you may be the technician have not tighten it properly.

Rose before you do any thing please try to tighten the hexagon nut and see if the leak stops, if that will not help will suggest to remove, clean the threads and apply some Teflon tape and install, as Hkstroud says use a 6 pint 1 1/16" socket, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot No Hot Water From a 40 gal Whirlpool electric Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have the 40 gal Whirlpool electric.. same problem here, after two minutes (not even 10 gallons) the water gets cold or barely warm with the shower valve all the way to hot.. Very disapointed with Whirlpool.. my old tank was working like a champ before it started leaking.. I recomand Keenmore next...

Why is new 50 gal. Hot water tank running out of hot water during a 14 minute shower? [ 4 Answers ]

Drip tube needed replacing in 4 year old 50 gal. tank so we did that but it did not fix the problem. With a full tank 1 person could have about a 7 minute shower as hot as you want it but then you have to start turning off the cold to make the shower go 15 minutes. Next we replaced the tank with...

Gas hot water tank does not stay hot [ 0 Answers ]

My gas hot water tank heats up to the right temperature when it turns on but then it doesn't maintain that heat. It cools way down before it turns on again.

Do I replace a 50 gal tank HOt water heater or go TANKLESS, if so what brand [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know what to do about purchasing and installing a new hot water heater. I don't know whether to go with tradtiional hot water heater replacement or tankless. I am in the mountains at 6000 feet. It would free up a closet area, but more venting etc. IF I get tankless which is best Bosch...

View more questions Search