Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southernman7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 02:18 PM
    How far back will Canada check on a felony?
    How far back will Canada check on a felony? My felony was 10 years ago.

Also how far back do employers go to check for felonies? The job I'm applying for requires traveling to Canada.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 20, 2009, 02:24 PM

Prepare to travel with your passport. That is all you will need. Anything they need to know will show up on that. If you are applying for a job in Canada you will still have to be sponsored and acquire a visa. It isn't all that easy !

Have you applied for your passport where you are ?

Tick, A Canadian
    southernman7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Tickle,
    I may need to update my passport (I got it 6 years ago). So who checks my background before I get to Canada? Do they check my background before I get (or update) my passport?

Or doen't Canada check my background? The felony was 10 years ago.

Or am I just screwed?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 20, 2009, 04:31 PM

Hello s:

There aren't any mandated limits on how far back either the Canadian government or your employer can check on you.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2009, 04:51 PM

Felony ( or even misdemeanor) don't ever drop off your record, when a record check is done, any and all convictions show up.
    Expert

May 20, 2009, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman7 View Post
    Tickle,
    I may need to update my passport (I got it 6 years ago). So who checks my background before I get to Canada? Do they check my background before I get (or update) my passport?

Or doen't Canada check my background? The felony was 10 years ago.

Or am I just screwed?
    When you fill out your application your social insurance number tells all they need to know as far as the application office on your side goes. Anything that shows up will appear on your passport. You will be checked when you cross over, they will inspect your passport, they will want to know why you are coming across and you will tell them for a job interview ? And they will say, okay, what job interview ?

Excon may be correct, but he hasn't been reading the papers lately. Our side says we will be just as stringent as your side regarding travellers. And I do believe they will. Have you ever had a female border crossing guard? Well I have, going over on your side even with an updated passport. It isn't easy fella. So don't expect it will be. Cross your tees and dot your eyes and good luck.

All I am saying is do your homework before you come and you will have no problems.

Tick
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

May 25, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Felony ( or even misdemeanor) dont ever drop off of your record, when a record check is done, any and all convictions show up.
    Even if you were a minor when you got the charge?
    Expert

May 25, 2009, 11:30 AM

Canada doesn't check your background unless your felony was serious enough to be posted between borders. Your background is checked when applying for your passport from the country you live in.

If you have release papers, done your time, then you are okay to go.

Tick
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 01:18 PM

Canada does not allow people with felony convictions to enter as a visitor in many cases, you definitely need to call the closest Canadian embassy or consulate and ask them if you will be allowed to enter Canada as a visitor for business purposes, this is usually decided on a case by case basis.

If they say you are not allowed entry into Canada because of your criminal record you can apply for what is called "deemed rehabilitation" basically you are applying to prove this conviction is quite old (over 10 years) and you have not committed any crimes since that time.

I would not just drive or fly into Canada and hope they let you in since your going to do some work, you may be refused and face bigger problems at work. Below are some links to help out

More info: Visiting Canada: Who is eligible

About criminal records and "rehabilitation": Frequently asked questions: Overcoming criminal inadmissibility

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Entry to Canada with a felony [ 1 Answers ]

I need to go to Canada in 7 dats and I have a Felony. Any suggestions?

Felony entry to Canada [ 2 Answers ]

I was convicted of a felony in 2002. In 2005, as per my court paperwork my felony was to be dropped to a misdemeanor. In spring 2007 I obtained my passport with plans to travel to Vancouver, BC, Canada. I departed for Vancouver in September 2007. Upon arriving at the airport, I was denied...

Can I enter Canada with a 3 degree felony [ 2 Answers ]

I am a United States Citizen, recently I was arrested for something I did not do, I hired an attorney to take care of the case and they find me not guilty of the third degree felony I was accused.I have a paper from the court proving I am not guilty. Now I am in the process to have the case...

Convicted felony, still get into canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my name is david, I have a felony conviction from aug 1995, theft by contractor, I deposited money from a business acount into my personal account, I served my 5 days sentence, and 2 years probation, can I still enter into canada? I being relocated for work.

Felony c d l driver interance to canada [ 4 Answers ]

Felony c d l driver entrance to canada

View more questions Search