Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 12:27 AM

Although as I have said, I did know Starby, but not as well as some of you here.
    I had only been talking to her for maybe a month before everything went down hill. I wish I could have gotten to know her better, from our brief chats to the high praise she has been given by others she truly sounds like someone that cares about others.

I know it may sound strange but sometimes it feels like I know some of my friends on here better than I know my ones in "real life"
    If I have a question or a worry, I can always count on the good people here to answer or comfort me (or get me into line like Starby did :rolleyes:)
    In real life, if I have a problem, my friends would just go "well... that's life"

When something like this happens it really brings into perspective your relationships with people.
    Bill-K Posts: 54, Reputation: 16

Sep 1, 2009, 02:09 AM
    FWIW, Shaz, I was very skeptical about these online forums 3 years ago, when I first ventured into them. I have since been amazed at the depth of the relationships we have within them. When all we have is words, then perhaps we take more time, give more thought, and make a special effort, to express ourselves. Before we know it, we are baring our very souls.

When we do this, and we have no secrets to hide, it makes us very strong. BUT we must still protect ourselves - we are still not invincible.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 1, 2009, 10:41 AM

I just came upon this post. Oh my :( where to start. Well when I first came on this site it was so I could talk to someone. Starby was the first to care, the first to make me feel like I knew her even though I had never met her. She knew a lot about dogs, and helped with every question I had about my husky.

But a big thing she did was understand and ''listen'' to what I had to say, she was one of the first people I could talk to. I would talk to her about my mom's illness and she seemed to understand, having to also fight an illness.

She was a great person and always gave great advice.

**You will not be forgotten Starby. You've helped me more then you know. And I wish I could have returned all the good advice you've given me. Once again Thanks.

Sep 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Well, I stumbled into this site for the first time just last night, and was drawn toward this lady 'Starby' for some reason. I don't wish to seem irreverent - and maybe I'm just being a bit 'dramatic' - but she had me in tears. From where she is now, I believe she has helped me face up to a big problem in my life which needed dealing with. I have a bad drinking habit, and I am now going to do something about it, before it's too late for me.

I have now started a thread in the Addictions section here, and received some good advice there. Thank you to those who have advised me, and - if I may - thank you to Starby for kicking my @$$ into here, and making me face up to this.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
    One of the reasons I finally decided to join AMHD instead of continuing to pester Cats by reading over his shoulder was to say that Starby touched me through reading what everyone had to say about her.

I am sorry that I didn't get to meet her, however, I feel fortunate that I can get to know her through all of her friends. Somehow, I can see years from now members telling the newcomers about the Legend of Starby.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 06:47 PM

friend4u178 agrees: She touched a lot of us Cat , glad you joined up :)
    Where? Where did she touch you? :eek:
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Where? Where did she touch you?! :eek:
    Under my Franny pants :D
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    Under my Franny pants :D
    I thought you only let me touch you there. :(
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 07:21 PM
    I thought you only let me touch you there. :(
    Not while you got that carrot :cool:
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Not while you got that carrot :cool:
    Are you asking me to go back to my old avy?

You liked her, didn't you? ;)
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 07:30 PM
    Are you asking me to go back to my old avy?

You liked her, didn't you? ;)

Your choice but yeah I liked Keira ;)

Mind you then I couldn't tease you about the carrot up your clacker :D
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 07:30 PM

I wanted to post something that was sent to me when my Mom passed a couple years ago and I fell it applies to Jo also:

Death is nothing at all; I have only slipped away into the next room.

I am still I, and you are still you; whatever we were to each other, that we are still.

Call me by my old familiar name; speak to me in the easy manner which you always used.

Put no difference into your tone; do not wear a forced air of sorrow or solemnity.

Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.

Play... smile... think of me; play for me.

Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.

Let it be spoken without an effort; without the ghost of a shadow upon it.

Life means all that it ever meant.

It is the same as it ever was; there is absolutely unbroken continuity.

I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just around the corner.

All is well.

-Henry Scott Holland
    Business Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks, I loved this also, but I am sorry if I brought the mood down, that wasn't my intention. For Starby.

EDIT: Wow, I guess that I did...

Stringer

Sep 2, 2009, 08:19 PM
    SOZ. I was away. I have to go out now, but FWIW, I always thought that poem lifted the spirits of those left behind. A reassurance that death is just a door - no more. I never see it as a bring-doewn, Stringer.

CUL8R.
    Business Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-K View Post
    SOZ. I was away. I have to go out now, but FWIW, I always thought that poem lifted the spirits of those left behind. A reassurance that death is just a door - no more. I never see it as a bring-doewn, Stringer.

CUL8R.
    Thanks Bill.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 08:27 PM

You certainly didn't bring the mood down in my opinion stringer.

Besides we were just foolin' around like normal and it was a bit off topic... BUT that's just how starby would want it ;)
    Business Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 08:29 PM
    You certainly didn't bring the mood down in my opinion stringer.

Besides we were just foolin' around like normal and it was a bit off topic......................BUT thats just how starby would want it ;)
    Thanks for coming back M.
    Business Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 08:32 PM

No, Alty that wasn't my intention at all hon, seriously. That was what I was afraid of...

Got to go, tomorrow.
    Pets Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    No, Alty that wasn't my intention at all hon, seriously. That was what I was afraid of....

Got to go, tomorrow.
    Oh goodness. Stringer, I was kidding. Also, the greenie to M was to say that we should take the "carrot" talk to a room where we can talk about carrots in arses. Not because of your post. Not at all. I posted the greenie to M before you even posted sweetie.

I had to go put the kids to bed, that's why I left. Never because of you. You could never
    Ever ever do anything that would make me leave. Okay?
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 09:05 PM

::singing::

Shiny Happy people... :)

Haven't seen you over here yet Alty ;)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/humor-...ys-392444.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Our poor Starby [ 1170 Answers ]

Some of you already know that our Starby (Starbuck8) is in the hospital awaiting surgery. She's a klutz, love her tons, but it's the truth. ;) She tripped on a shovel, broke her leg in two places, broke her wrist and her eye is swollen shut. She'll need surgery to fix her leg, it's the...

Starby & Alty's Castle of Doom. [ 1500 Answers ]

Come in my sweet, and join us! Your hosts will be Starby and Alty. We have everything your little heart desires in our Castle! Come into our web, said the spider to the fly. Mwaaahahahaha! YouTube - Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast

View more questions Search