Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patrick_McCoy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2003, 08:09 AM
    Pine Tree causes Grass Problems
    My Neighbors Scotch Pine Tree is killing ME !
    It has been hanging over my lawn and house since I moved in here 15 years ago. I get nothing but needles and cones all year round. I put 10 times as much lime in my lawn and nothing helps. It seems to have killed 2 Rhodadendrums and also a Pink flowering Dogwood. I get needles everywhere including in side my computer that is on the other side of the room facing the nieghbors house! WHAT CAN I DO?
    wannabeDIYer Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Applying lime every year and 10x as much may not be a good idea unless you know what the soil acidity pH is. You could be doing more harm than good especially if you apply too much lime and the soil pH is to alkaline. Most grasses like the pH around 6.5-7.0. However, many trees and shrubs don't like such a level so it's a good idea to know your soil nutrition levels and know the plants that you are growing. Have you ever collected a soil sample and had it tested (in most states, this is a free service)? This not only will tell you the pH but also soil nutrient levels such as N,P,K and micro-nutrients. I am not sure where you live, but here in the south, typical native clay soils are very low in pH and also in K and extremely low in P. Also, there is a limit on how much of any one ingredient you can put down in a given year or period or you risk injuring plants.

I would almost guarantee however that your problem is not with pH but too much shade that the tree is casting over your property. This is a touchy situation with trees and the law. You have the right to cut off any branches that overhang your proprty (of course you may not trespass or cause damage to the tree by cutting too much off, etc.) but this may not help you at all.

With too much shade it will be difficult to get grass to grow here. Have you considered creating a large landscape bed here and planting shrubs and maybe even a tree. This will cut down on your maintenance costs?

Hope this helps.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Accidentally run over the tree with a bulldozer, just kidding. If the limbs cross the property line, you can have them remove the limbs in most areas at their expense.
    jdpsp Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Mar 15, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Easy. Late at night, go to the Pine trees with 3" long copper nails and a rubber hammer. Nail three in using 120 degrees spacing around the trunk... insert at the two to three foot mark.
    Minou1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Also have a very large pine tree in front yard, probably 60 feet or more, along with a type of Maple at the street and a small tree --- don't know species --- with long leaves that produces yellow flowers in the early summer, as well as carob-like pods occasionally.

These 3 trees co-existed with our sod lawn for several years, but in the last year the lawn just started to wither and die. I don't know if the pine tree is entirely to blame but it is certainly a culprit.

Should I get rid of the pine tree? It produces needles all year, cones some of the time, and only looks good in winter (as we live in LA area, not enough humidity and rain), otherwise brownish half the year. The tree is home to several squirrels and birds, I feel bad about wanting to cut it down, but I am tired of having a terrible looking front lawn (about 40 feet wide, 20 feet deep).
    georgie430 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpsp View Post
    Easy. Late at night, go to the Pine trees with 3" long copper nails and a rubber hammer. Nail three in using 120 degrees spacing around the trunk ... Insert at the two to three foot mark.
    Hi I'm asking this for my own tree, does this stunt the growth? What do the copper
    Nails do?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
    DO NOT LISTEN TO JDPSP. You could go to jail for doing that. Cut any limb that crosses the property line.
    sharkkiller1 Posts: 55, Reputation: 10

Mar 8, 2013, 12:23 AM
    Pine needles are very acidic and will kill all plants under them your best bet is to trim the tree or rake up the needles
    georgie430 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Thanks ma0641 and sharkkiller, only saw the posts today!

The pines are mine. I have to get rid of them if I'm ever going to be a serious gardner. Not only because of acid pines killing plants.. The needles get in with any leaves I want to use for compost. The worms don't like them and biggest
    Problem they are taking over my yard and all the SUN

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass types? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you tell what type of grass you have so you can re-seed your lawn?

Serbian pine [ 1 Answers ]

My Serbian pine, which was planted almost two years ago is losing it's pine needles (not cones). At present the top two feet are bare and one/two middles branches. I fertilized it this spring and have sprayed it twice with fungaside and diazon, as per instruction of the landscaper that planted...

Grass [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new house in December and my yard is full of weeds. How do I start growing grass?

Pine needles [ 1 Answers ]

I have clumps of pine needles and pine cones that fell from a red pine tree Covering the ground. The clumps look like they were chopped off the tree. There is only 2 pine trees that this is happening to. There is a lot of clumps Covering the ground. It looks like someone covered the grass...

Grass and Tree Problems [ 3 Answers ]

First I live in a home that was just built in Dec of 04, I live in Houston Texas, which we have lately been receiving a lot of rain. 1. I have St. Augustine sod which was planted in Dec, it has patches that look like the grass is just rotting away. Black on the ends then is turns yellow and...

View more questions Search