Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Mar 17, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Vista Boot problems
    I am looking for some help. I am a Linux – Mac geek and I have a sick Windows 32 bit Vista Home Premium HP Pavilion DV900 with AMD Turion 64 x2 @ 1.6 GHz and 1gb of RAM.
    The computer boots to the progress bar then the screen goes blank and it sits there. I can boot in safe made. I ran msconfig and turned off all start up items and this made no change. I have restored the start up items to where I found them.
    No reinstall disk are available.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 10:37 PM

Is this something new or been awhile?

As long as you can get into safe mode, you can try a system restore to an earlier time.

The link below is labeled XP but the process is the same for Vista

Just do this in safe mode

How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

If you can get hold of an Vista Install disk, you could do a repair installation
    How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair
    b_harish123 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 04:17 AM

If you try with Last Known good configuration from the safe boot screen that will also help...
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Mar 18, 2009, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    Is this something new or been awhile?

As long as you can get into safe mode, you can try a system restore to an earlier time.

The link below is labled XP but the process is the same for Vista

Just do this in safe mode

How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

If you can get hold of an Vista Install disk, you could do a repair installation
    How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair
    Thanks would love to the feature was turned off by the owner. There are no restore points
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 05:08 AM
    I have seen this with PC that has a corrupted Registry. The fix is a little intensive on the command line in Repair Mode but it does require an OS disk to copy the Default Registry files back to the PC in order to get it to boot.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 07:39 AM

Hopefully you can get a hold of a Vista disc from somewhere (someone) to borrow and try the repair option.
    olderexgeek Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
    In the boot menu, is the RAM and other settings proper? I had problems when my PCI-e defaulted to on board PCI-I'ld start there. Any beeps after it starts to boot up, when it gets to progress screen? You could also try removing first one memory module, then the other and see if that makes any difference. If none of this works, I'ld bet on the reg issue also-HP support has dics for Vista-I know I got a set from them just a couple months ago-paid about $20.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by olderexgeek View Post
    in the boot menu, is the RAM and other settings proper? I had problems when my PCI-e defaulted to on board PCI-I'ld start there. Any beeps after it starts to boot up, when it gets to progress screen? you could also try removing first one memory module, then the other and see if that makes any difference. If none of this works, i'ld bet on the reg issue also-HP support has dics for Vista-I know I got a set from them just a couple months ago-paid about $20.
    Please check the post dates of the topics before replying. This is an old topic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Vaio will no longer boot Vista, Hard drive failure? [ 7 Answers ]

Sony Vaio laptop seems bricked 1 week after warranty. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Initial occurance: Wife was loading an app when it froze. She tried a restart and vista failed to boot. Can access BIOS at Vaio splash screen. Windows Boot Manager says : File:...

Dvd/cd drive won't boot from Windows Vista cd [ 5 Answers ]

OK so my cd/dvd drive works perfectly fine and I can play cd's on it and dvd's and any kind of cd, but I recently bought windows vista and I want to reboot my computer with it but it won't let me. (I currently have windows xp sp2) but I want to install windows vista. I changed the BIOS to boot from...

Dual Boot - Vista & XP [ 9 Answers ]

Hi again everyone. I used to have a dual boot system for XP & 98, but I had to install the 98 OS before the XP OS. I now want to install a dual boot with Vista installed first and then XP. These Operating Systems will be installed on separate partitions on my Hard Drive. From what I have...

Issue when trying to hide XP from Vista on a dual boot machine [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am running Vista Ultimate and XP Pro on a dual boot machine in two separate arrays (2 WD raptors configured as Raid 0 for Vista and 2 WD raptors configured as Raid 0 for XP Pro, for a total of 4 hard drives). The issue is this: I loaded Vista first and then XP, after installing XP I...

View more questions Search