Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vikes1961 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
    911 usage
    We recently deactivated our home landline to be cell phone only. We were told 911 service was still active with the landline. If we leave the phone physically connected to the jack for 911 service (because our jack is behind the bed and would be useless if we should need to use it in an emergency at night and had to go behind the bed to plug it in) and we receive and incoming phone call on the landline at some time will we receive charges?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Calls can't come in on that landline once it is set for dialing 911 only.

Nov 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
    But we are still getting incoming calls. I talked to a tech from our server and she confirmed that it remains active for DSL. The line is still active because our DSL is used with that line.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2012, 06:52 AM
    You are either paying for the landline, or they forgot? To disconnect it?
    Ask an Incomming caller what number they are dialing.
    Maybe through some Glitch? You have free Incomming?
    Never heard of before.

Nov 16, 2012, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    You are either paying for the landline, or they forgot? to disconnect it?
    Ask an Incomming caller what number they are dialing.
    Maybe through some Glitch? you have free Incomming?
    Never heard of before.
    I don't think I am gtting this across correctly... in a sense we are paying for the landline (our DSL runs through the landline so we are paying for DSL) This is/was a "shared" line for home phone and DSL. We dropped the home phone part of the service and upgraded the DSL to the faster speed. The tech verified we would be able to have incoming or outgoing calls if we leave the lines to home phones plugged into jacks. She also said we would still have the 911 service (obviously). So, I asked if we were supposed to unplug the home phones, wait until we have an emergency in the middle of the night, fumble around in a dis-oriented state and try to plug the homephone back into the jack behind and underneath the bed, and finally dial 911? She said she could put a work order in to relocate the jack to a handier position. So, now we are wondering if they can monitor incoming calls? The DLS line is a separate line coming all the way in from the outside box using many more wires in the box. I have a .357 mag on the headboard, but if the incident is health related that probably isn't the best answer. Cell phones aren't as reliable with reception and glitches, but we do have two. I hope this clears the picture up as to what I am asking.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Yes, they routinely track incoming calls, but it's possible that this is a rare situation and you have free service. I would wait to see if you get charged before saying anything.
    ~45 years ago, when LD was expensive and each call charged by the minute at different rates, I was never charged for any of them. It can happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU usage at 100% [ 20 Answers ]

My computer recently started to be very slow. I have a 800 mghz pentium. I'm running XP. I did a complete virus scan with Norton and found nothing. When I look at the processes, I can see the CPU is running at 100% most of the time. There's no specific file that is using all the power. Why is...

Cpu usage [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I've been having a problem with my Acer laptop, model Travelmate 2310 I have noticed when I open media player or flash games they work normally But when I run tnem in full screen mode, the window run very slowly and The quality becomes very low and become very irritating. I have...

The CPU Usage is 100% [ 2 Answers ]

I am using P-IV 2.8 GHZ processor and Intel 945 series motherboard. When I am using DOS application my CPU Usage goes to 100%. There is no virus and no warm in my system. Please tell me the possible solutions to follow.

Pf usage [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering why my pf usage sky-rockets every time I open a specific folder. This folder is used to store all my Utorrent downloads. My system runs at about 375mb (pf usage) when hardly worked, then when I open this folder (named Downloads) 5 seconds later the pf usage goes up to 500mb then...

Cpu usage [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have recently gotten a new computer.. it was about about 2 months ago actually And everything with it has been perfect,but this morning it just got slower... I don't mean internet speed just like.. opening prgrams or installing things slower... I opened the task manager and its using...

View more questions Search