Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armandoelizalde Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
    Can an F-1 claim dependents on income tax?
    Hi I'm married to a us citizen, currently still F-1 but legal residence papperwork has been sobmited, can I claim credit for a dependent besides my wife on my income tax? Will this geopardize my current process ?thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 01:17 AM

You can file joint return as residents.

Or you can file nonresident tax return on F-1. On nonresident tax return, you can not claim dependent.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
    We REALLY need to know from which country he originated, because some non-residents CAN claim their spouses as dependents on the non-resident alien return.

Jan 19, 2010, 01:13 PM

I'm from mexico, now I'm sure I can claim dependents filling jointly with my american wife, but will this jeopardize my residenci process with DHS?

Jan 19, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    You can file joint return as residents.

Or you can file nonresident tax return on F-1. On nonresident tax return, you can not claim dependent.
    OK, but if I file jointly as resident will it make more dificult to fix my residence process? Since I'm getting a credit for my dependent
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Filing jointly with your American wife will in no way jeopardize your standing with the Department of Homeland Security.

Such a filing is legally permitted under the IRS regulations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do my parents have to file a separate income tax if I claim them as dependents? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a quick question. My situation is the following: My mother arrived to US with a green card in June and my father joined us later in September. My husband and I provide both of them with food, shelter and living expenses. My mother made less than $600 as a consultant for a school in...

Claim Dependents on tax return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a residential alian for tax (indian citizen , H-1B) and planning to claim my wife who is a canadian citizen and staying with me since Oct 2008 on visitors visa. She moved here permanently and we are waitng for her TN visa sponsorers thus didn't move to H-4. Can I claim her as my...

Sample tips for foreigners who wants to claim their dependents for tax purposes. [ 4 Answers ]

I just want to share my experience in filing my tax return. I'm a foreigner working in the United States. If your spouse and child/children are not in the U.S. and you want to claim them as your dependents for tax purposes, here's what I did: 1. Instead of filing my returns through mail, I...

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a H1 holder. My parents came to visit me from China since last October. Is it possible for me to claim them as dependents on my 2007 tax return?

Minimum days H4 dependents should be in US to save income tax [ 6 Answers ]

This is the first year I am working in USA on H1 B visa. My family is coming to USA on 27th December. I just wanted to know minimum how many days the dependents should be in US to save income tax on them. Regards, Prakash

View more questions Search