Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAROLJESTERKIL Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 27, 2009, 06:21 PM
    declaring dividends
    Declared semiannual dividends of $1.20 on the preferred stock and $.15 on the common stock (before the stock dividend) Plus, a 1% common stock dividend was declared on the common stock outstanding at the fair market value of the common stock at $30. The 500,000 common shares outstanding 80,000 preferred stock purchased 75,000 shares of common and sold 40,000 shares of common.

I have tried to answer this question on my own for some time now and I just can't figure it out.:mad:
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2009, 06:27 PM

Well, you haven't actually said what you are required to do. Mathematically, the cash dividend is easy cause they give you exactly what is paid per share and you pay it on the number of shares outstanding. (I can't even tell what is outstanding because of the way you've presented the information - trying to paraphrase from the problem is not a good idea cause the meaning can get lost to us.)

For stock dividends there is some info here:
    Stock Splits and Stock Dividends | AccountingCoach.com
    CAROLJESTERKIL Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 27, 2009, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJESTERKIL View Post
    Declared semiannual dividends of $1.20 on the preferred stock and $.15 on the common stock (before the stock dividend) Plus, a 1% common stock dividend was declared on the common stock outstanding at the fair market value of the common stock at $30. The 500,000 common shares outstanding 80,000 preferred stock purchased 75,000 shares of common and sold 40,000 shares of common.

I have tried to answer this question on my own for some time now and I just can't figure it out.:mad:
    Need to Journalize the transactions.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2009, 01:00 AM

Did you look at the link I gave you? I believe it has journal entries too. You need to figure out all the dollar amounts first anyway. And I can't even really help figure that part out because I really don't understand what you're saying about the number of shares.

If you've been trying to figure it out on your own, what have you done?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate stock dividends shares and cash dividends amounts [ 5 Answers ]

You owe 600 shares of Blueco, Inc. common stock and that you currently receive cash dividends of $.42 per share per year A. If Blueco Inc declared a 5% stock dividend, how many shares of commons stock would you receive as a dividend? B. Calculate the cash dividend per share amount to be paid...

Husband declaring ch. 7, should I? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband and I have been married since March 2008. About a week after we married, he signed a Promissory Note to purchase a restaurant business for about $250k. The business has now failed. The owner is going to sue him for the whole amount of the promissory note, if not more. ...

Declaring a parent unfit (PA) [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I am in need of sound, truthful and solid advice. My husband & I have had custody of our grandson for a over a year. (Note; last year, we were hoping that reuniting them would help resolves some issue so he lived with her and the boyfriend from Feb-May of 08. She moved in with us in May...

Declaring Dividends [ 1 Answers ]

How do you delcare a dividend?

Determining dividends per share and total dividends paid [ 0 Answers ]

If I'm given: Preferred Stock: $50 par value, 8 percent cumulative, 10000 shares authorized, issued, and outstanding. Common Stock: $5 par value, 200,000 shares authorized, issued, and outstanding. THe company paid $30,000, $30,000, $94,000, and $130,000 in dividends during 2003, 2004,...

View more questions Search