Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WearyHandyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Connecting PVC P-Trap to Metal Waste Pipe
    I am replacing the drain in the bathroom lavatory. Is it OK to connect PVC to the existing metal pipe in the wall?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Hey WH...

If you are talking about threading a pvc adapter to say a threaded metal fitting in the wall... then yes... absolutely!

If you are talking about connecting to an older pipe using a flexible clamp... then yes... as long as you use the right clamp (ask about this if planning to use this alternative).

If you are talking about soldering a threaded fitting onto older copper pipe and then connecting a pvc adapter to that... then yes... for sure!

Describe the metal pipe you have.. silver... copper? A picture would also help?

Let us know...

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 10:46 PM

If you are ".....replacing...." drain, than you should already have threaded female T in the metal pipe. Use plastic male adapter, wrap threads with teflon tape and screw it in. Continue with plastic. Just like Mark said, yes, it is perfectly OK...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 22, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WearyHandyman View Post
    I am replacing the drain in the bathroom lavatory. Is it ok to connect PVC to the existing metal pipe in the wall?
    Solder on a 1 1/2" copper slip to FIP(female ironpipe thread) to the wall stub out. Now you may transition to PVC using a PVC slip to MIP (male iron pipe thread) with a 1 1/2 to1 1/4" nylon gasket. See image below. Don't forget to wrap three turns of Teflon Tape around the male threads. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting basement plumbing to cast iron waste stack [ 1 Answers ]

I'm putting in a half bath and a washing machine in our basement and I'd like to like to connect it to the main stack and drain, which is all 4-inch cast iron. The sweep where the stack meets the sewer line has no clean out and appears to have some corrosion, so I'd like to replace it. I was...

Reposition P-trap, waste line to accommodate new vanity shelf [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, It seems that this has been a common problem for many. But the problems that are posted have not exactly been identical to mine, thus I am still on a quest to find a favorable solution. I am remodeling my half bath on the first floor. The new vanity has a fixed shelf measuring about 15.5...

Connecting brass drain of a tub to pvc waste line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am plumbing a new american standard tub. The overflow/waste drain is attached and in place. My existing waste line is 1 1/2" pvc, but the brass drain seems to be someplace between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". What is the best method to attach to the wast line (with a p-trap before the...

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

Connecting second floor waste to main waste stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I have new new modular cape that had the first floor plumbing complete, and the second floor stubbed, and want to know the right way to connect the second floor waste drain which was installed in the house, to the main waste drain. The main waste drain comes up verically from the basement floor...

View more questions Search