Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Polarenguin Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2015, 06:25 AM
    Moving out...
    Can i move out even though i am 17...i will be 18 on march 29th... Can i move out with my boyfriend who i have been with for a year..who also lives with his friends and his friends parents? I do not like my home situation..my stepfather and i argue and my mom under goes allot of stress because of it... i don't want to continue to live there? So can i move in with my boyfriend on my birthday????
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 25, 2015, 08:53 AM
    Who will feed and clothe you? Do you work?

Feb 25, 2015, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Who will feed and clothe you? Do you work?
    My boyfriend and his friends will feed and cloth me.
    And I will get a job if I can move out to live with him.
    Expert

Feb 25, 2015, 09:44 AM
    I suppose you can move out when you are 18, but I hope you get a good job before your boyfriend dumps you. Or you have a fight and have to leave, and find somewhere else to go. Stop arguing with your step parent, stay home, get a job, and further your education, seems like a better way to reduce the stress and a better plan to me.

I know life with your boyfriend looks like a better deal than being at home to you, but look closer. You might be missing something you need to see, because of the stress at YOUR home now.

Feb 25, 2015, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I suppose you can move out when you are 18, but I hope you get a good job before your boyfriend dumps you. Or you have a fight and have to leave, and find somewhere else to go. Stop arguing with your step parent, stay home, get a job, and further your education, seems like a better way to reduce the stress and a better plan to me.

I know life with your boyfriend looks like a better deal than being at home to you, but look closer. You might be missing something you need to see, because of the stress at YOUR home now.
    My step dad starts the arguments so I'm done. I will move out with my boyfriend no matter what they say...
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 25, 2015, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarenguin View Post
    Can i move out even though i am 17...i will be 18 on march 29th... Can i move out with my boyfriend who i have been with for a year..who also lives with his friends and his friends parents? I do not like my home situation..my stepfather and i argue and my mom under goes allot of stress because of it... i don't want to continue to live there? So can i move in with my boyfriend on my birthday????
    Have you discussed this with your mother? Is your father in the picture?

What are the arguments about?

Are the friends' parents aware of your intentions and are they ready to take you in? Are they prepared to deal with the authorities if your parents request your return to their house and the police show up?

Are you still in high school? If so, are you planning on continuing your education or dropping out?

Why can't you wait one more month when you will be considered a legal adult?

Feb 25, 2015, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Have you discussed this with your mother? Is your father in the picture?

What are the arguments about?

Are the friends' parents aware of your intentions and are they ready to take you in? Are they prepared to deal with the authorities if your parents request your return to their house and the police show up?

Are you still in high school? If so, are you planning on continuing your education or dropping out?

Why can't you wait one more month when you will be considered a legal adult?

My mother cant undergo any more stress.. she has had microheart attacks..
    My father is basically just a sperm donor he lives in New Jersey..
    The arguments are amostly about me taking food because of my meds... (I am on depakote)
    The parents to the friends said that I can move in with them..
    I will be continuing high school with there son aubrey.
    They are prepared to deal with the authorities and so am I.
    I turn 18 on the 29th of march and that is when my boyfrined wants me to move in with him..
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Feb 25, 2015, 05:54 PM
    You are almost 18 years old. I suggest you keep your mouth shut and deal with your parents for a while. What do you plan on doing once you graduate?
    Moving in with friends of your boyfriend and their parents does not sound like a good idea or a good environment. It all may sound grown up and cozy but it won't be. What if they get tired of all the teenagers in their house and say you have to go, then what?
    Get yourself a part time job, start saving money. Moving from you parent's home to your boyfriend's (and he doesn't even have a place) is not a good idea.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2015, 06:16 PM
    First any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

In most places when you turn 18, you are an adult and can go where you please. Before you are 18 you are still under your parents rule.

P.S. A sperm donor is someone who shares his sperm so that childless couples can have children. Your father is someone your mother decided to have sex with. That is very different.

Feb 26, 2015, 03:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

In most places when you turn 18, you are an adult and can go where you please. Before you are 18 you are still under your parents rule.

P.S. A sperm donor is someone who shares his sperm so that childless couples can have children. Your father is someone your mother decided to have sex with. That is very different.

So I CAN move out at 18?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2015, 05:02 AM
    Read what you wrote, he does not live with his own parents, but lives with a friend, and their parent. This says he does not have a job earning enough money to have his own place. First you would have to get permission of the friends parents, ( I will assume boyfriend is at least 18 also)

But if you think there is stress now, living in another home, with boyfriend's friends, this is a disaster ready to happen, This is almost a sure way to ruin a relationship

Feb 26, 2015, 05:51 AM
    So I CAN move out at 18?
    Well the age of majority in PA is 21. So your parents could get your boyfriend in trouble if you move. I would suggest consulting an attorney in PA.
    Expert

Feb 26, 2015, 06:02 AM
    Do you have to change high schools? Can your boyfriend afford your meds and doctor visits, and birth control on his after school job, as well as feeding, and clothing you until you get a job?

Moving out is the easy part. Being independent of your parents is more complicated, even with help from your boyfriend.

Feb 26, 2015, 06:13 AM
    Well the age of majority in PA is 21. So your parents could get your boyfriend in trouble if you move. I would suggest consulting an attorney in PA.
    Merf... I would have no where else to go... so I'm going to move in with him n deal with the consequences then..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2015, 06:16 AM
    So you don't mind if he goes to jail? Yes, that could happen. So could these so-called parents you will be living with. You don't care If all these people go to jail because of you?

Feb 26, 2015, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    So you don't mind if he goes to jail? Yes, that could happen. So could these so-called parents you will be living with. You don't care If all these people go to jail because of you?
    I do! But I do not want to stay in the place I'm living anymore! :(

Feb 26, 2015, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Read what you wrote, he does not live with his own parents, but lives with a friend, and their parent. This says he does not have a job earning enough money to have his own place. First you would have to get permission of the friends parents, ( I will assume boyfriend is at least 18 also)

But if you think there is stress now, living in another home, with boyfriend's friends, this is a disaster ready to happen, This is almost a sure way to ruin a relationship
    The friends parents said I can move in with them. His parents are divorced he wants nothing to do with his mom. He has a job earning enough money. His friends and I get along so do the friend's parents and I.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2015, 06:45 AM
    As has been said, the age of majority in PA is 21, not 18. If you move out you are putting this boy and those parents at a legal risk. That will make it even harder for you at home when you are forced to move back.

Feb 26, 2015, 07:19 AM
    The friends parents said I can move in with them. His parents are divorced he wants nothing to do with his mom. He has a job earning enough money. His friends and I get along so do the friend's parents and I.
    Did you explain to these parents that they could be charged with custodial interference by harboring an underage child? If you do, they might change their minds. You don't seem to understand that, by law, you are no able to control your own life until age 21. Therefore, if you move away from your parents without their permission, they can file charges against anyone aiding you in breaking from their control. This can get them jailed, or dragged into court and have serious consequences.

I would suggest that you consult an attorney about emancipation.

Feb 26, 2015, 08:54 AM
    How do I do that?

Did you explain to these parents that they could be charged with custodial interference by harboring an underage child? If you do, they might change their minds. You don't seem to understand that, by law, you are no able to control your own life until age 21. Therefore, if you move away from your parents without their permission, they can file charges against anyone aiding you in breaking from their control. This can get them jailed, or dragged into court and have serious consequences.

I would suggest that you consult an attorney about emancipation.

How can I do that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I accept my dad moving on - moving into girlfriend's house [ 4 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced for almost 8 years now and I am 16, I am fine with them being divorced and I am happy how it has worked out. I live a week with each parent before I change houses which is great as I get to spend equal amount of time with both of my parents. A little while ago my...

Moving out due to roommate disputes. He is not moving. What about my deposit. [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate and I are both on the lease. Our first year is up and lease is month to month. We do not get along so I am moving. (He asked me to leave too) I notified the landlord I wanted to term lease and move. Landlord will not term unless we both do. Told me, He would not give me my deposit...

A slow moving ocean current will produce the same amount of energy as a faster moving [ 0 Answers ]

Higher density Lower density Higher pressure Lower temperature None of these are correct; they cannot produce the same amount of energy.

Moving washer & dryer connections, adding a shower, moving a toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I know this is a lot for one question, but bear w/ me. We have a half bath in which our full size w/d connections are located. We would like to move them to the kitchen, about 15 ft away. We do have a pier and beam house. Any ideas on how much that would cost? Also, we want to put a bathtub...

Moving on but moving backwards. [ 3 Answers ]

Its been over a year since me an my man split. We were together for 7 1/2 years. I don't know where we went wrong. I remember one day waking up beside him and him showing me a ring asking me to spend the rest of my life with him an that's when everything changed. We were engaged for only 3 months...

View more questions Search