Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samm345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 02:34 PM
    How do I file for child abandonment and when can I file?
    My daughters father has not seen her for over a year and he just left without telling me he was leaving. I do have a child support order and I have full custody of her. Im just afraid that he will try to take her away from me later in life and I don't want her to go through that because Im with a man right now that she loves and he has been there for her pretty much since she's been born. How do I file for abandonment on him and when could I file.
    SmartAlex Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Mar 3, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Hello friend, Thank you for your question.
    Please let me know what state/country you are in?
    Sincerely,SmartAlex
    JennaVanloon Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

Mar 6, 2007, 11:18 AM
    I am basically in the same situation.. I would like to know also..
    SmartAlex Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Mar 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Hello, because sometimes there is a difference depending on where you live,it's important to let me know so I can help. Waiting for you,
    Sincerely,SmartAlex

You have an Audio Postcard(TM). To get your
    Audio Postcard, turn up your speakers, and
    Click on this link:

Audio Postcard

Listen for me...
    JennaVanloon Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

Mar 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
    I live in Texas
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Hello samm and you too Jenna:

Child abandonment is a criminal offense. The term doesn't fit your circumstances. Today, abandonment of a child is considered to be a serious crime in many jurisdictions of the United States due to welfare concerns. For example, in the state of Georgia, it is a misdemeanor to willfully and voluntarily abandon a child, and a felony to abandon one's child and leave the state.

Your respective spouses did NOT abandon their children.

What I think you're both trying to attain, is the removal of the fathers parental rights. You can't do that. He HAS rights, and he will until the child is 21. Maybe he'll seek to use them, and maybe he won't. But, it's up to him.

excon
    Potatodad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Perhaps in Georgia a parent can walk out his or her child's life for whatever amount of time and not risk losing parental rights.

In Texas:

1. A parent who leaves their child with anyone other than the other parent for more than 3 months can lose parental rights.
    2. A parent who leaves their child with anyone including the other parent or CPS for more than six months can lose parental rights.

Keep in mind, leaving the child means leaving the child without support, significant contact, no information on whether that parent intends to return or pick up the child, and showing an extreme disinterest in the child. The statute is out there on the net; you can read it yourself and see all of the details.

There's also a lot of other things that can be taken into consideration that can weigh in your favor or not and most judges will look at all of that. It's best to throw everything you have into whatever you file. No lawyer will tell you that you have a slam dunk case. If they do, fire him or her. But since the courts generally favor moms, you should be in pretty good shape unless you're contributing to the absence of dad in some way.
    dawne98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 10:08 AM
    I live in New York and I would also like know my dd is 10 year old and up to last year we lived in Fl then we moved to New York and now her father after 10 years wants to get custody we have never gone to court for anything so can he do that and what will happen?
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Hello dawne:

You should start your own thread. Maybe someone will do it for you.

You need to go to court to get custody legally established. I doubt that he'll win, unless he can prove that you're unfit as a parent. It'll be a BIG help if you hire a lawyer. I mean really, Really big help.

excon
    Dlady Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 12:47 AM
    :confused: I have a situation to where the father has given us the baby to keep while the mother is in prison (due for parole in Aug) and the father is not stable or fit to parent his child. We have had him for 3months and now he wants to hook up with another woman and move across the state line with him, to lord knows where. We need some type of emergency custody filed? Any advice on what to do?
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Hello D:

Yup. You need a lawyer.

excon
    Dlady Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
    I am looking into getting a lawyer, I really just needed to know if anyone has dealt with anything like this before, to see if I even have anything to go on. The father is wanting to take the baby across state line, with the mother in prison, I am not sure if that is legal for him to do or not. Thank you for your advice, look forward to any other updates posted. Good Luck to all of you!
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Hello D:

He is the father. HE has legal custody. You don't have squat. He can take the baby anywhere and you can't do a thing about it. That's why you need a lawyer, like right now. It is possible to get an injunction against him leaving the state if you present compelling evidence to the court. It's not easy to get custody away from a biological parent.

excon
    nochoice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 04:19 PM
    The step mother of my child is trying to take me to court for child abandonment for my soon to be 18 year old daughter in the state of Georgia, even though she took the child and left me. I can't find where they live so I have not had contact with my child since she left in February 2008. Can she do this?
    jis6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 01:15 PM
    I have the same situation my boyfriend took off and went to the marines leaving me with my baby. I live in Arkansas
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jis6 View Post
    I have the same situation my boyfriend took off and went to the marines leaving me with my baby. I live in Arkansas

This thread is over a year old and the OP has not been back.

Do you have a question or was this simply a comment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Possible to Re-File for Child Support? [ 4 Answers ]

I have kind of a complicated story but hopefully a simple question. My ex and I are trying to come to an agreement about our daughter who is almost 6. He has not been in her life at all since she was a few days old. I am remarried to a man that I've been with since my daughter was 8 months old. ...

Who should file for this child? [ 1 Answers ]

OK, thank you

Can I file for child support after I already canceled it? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to make an agreement with my ex. I told him I will drop the child support order now and file for my current husband to adopt my daughter. I said if he does not agree to the adoption and relinquish his rights, that I am going to file for child support again. But I just have one...

When can you File Child Abandoment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just recently got married and my husband has a 3 year old son, He calls me mom and I do all the motherly things with him. His mother has not tried to see him since his first birthday. She has seen him uptown with me or my husband and stuff like that but she has not tried to make any effort on...

When and How do I file Child abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

My name is Melanie Simpson I live in Washington State Spokane County and I have a one year old daughter with my ex-boyfriend who has not seen her since she was a month old. HE says he will sign his rights over to me for her but than he falls off the face of the earth for almost a year and now since...

View more questions Search