Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pinto12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2013, 10:30 AM
    Point of studying other extinction theories.
    To help with answering the question of a project I'm doing, what is the point of studying alternative theories to the Asteroid collision, for example, huge volcanic eruptions, when it is widely accepted that the Asteroid collision was the cause of the K-T Extinction?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 10:35 AM
    Why do you think other theories exist? Post your answers here and we will help you. We don't do homework for you on this site.
    Pinto12345 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2013, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Why do you think other theories exist? Post your answers here and we will help you. We don't do homework for you on this site.
    The project I'm doing counts as a GCSE. I've been reading since February and understand the reasons for and against the key suggested theories. This answers the Literature Review section of my essay which I plan to be 2000 words. My trouble is the discussion section.
    In a meeting I had the other day, I was told that interviews are a really good way of getting an answer to my question, especially from people who are associated to the question I'm answering, in this case, paleontologists. In order to find someone who can give more reasons scientists continue to explore alternative theories, I thought that this website could help.
    I already have my own answers to my question.
    The purpose of my question wasn't to get someone to do my homework, but for it to act as an interview question directed to someone who can give me more reasons, on an interview bases.
    If you want to know what I've done so far as regards to research, I'd be happy to tell you, but my question is, directed to a paleontologist:

'Despite the Asteroid theory being backed by so much evidence that it was certainty the cause of the extinction of the dinosaurs, why do other scientists continue to explore the other theories? Isn't it a waist of time? In other words, If you are a paleontologist that explores alternative theories, why do you do so?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 02:35 PM
    We don't have any paleontologists on this website.
    FYI: You need to check your spelling in the following parts of your question:
    "Despite the Asteroid theory being backed by so much evidence that it was certainty the cause"
    "interview bases."
    "Isn't it a waist of time?"
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 4, 2013, 04:05 PM
    I am not a paleontologist. I am starting to wonder about the mass extinction myself, because there is more than one person who believes there is plenty of fossil evidence to support a much slower extinction. The asteroid theory isn't that old, and was dramatic, and looked good. But it stands to reason that it would be challenged again, just as it was when it first was presented. All theories in all areas of science need to be tested and tested again, as new techniques and data become available. That's the 'point' as you put it.
    Also I'm not so sure that volcanoes and other cataclysms are the cause. There's some pretty mundane factors to look at too, such as climate change and water levels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extinction Pop [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody can tell me about the word "extinction pop: refer to

The extinction of the dinosaurs has been associated with [ 23 Answers ]

I Have a list of possible answers, but am not to sure which one it is. Question:The extinction of the dinosaurs has been associated with Possible Answers: a) a layer of soot containing iridium. b) a meteor impact at the end of the Cretaceous that caused major cooling.

Evidence for extinction [ 3 Answers ]

What is the evidence given by scientistic to support that an asteroid caused mass extinction of plant and animal life?

View more questions Search