Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rustybouquet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2014, 08:46 AM
    Tiny black bugs in litter boxes with newspapers in them
    I am using newspapers in place of litter, and there are all kinds of tiny black bugs that seem to like the feces. I also see these crawling hopping little things in my bathroom sink, and in the trash can in the kitchen. They are the size of a cat flea but they are not a cat flea.

This I south Jersey. They could be in the trash because the dirty newspapers are in there.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 09:16 AM
    Be sure to tightly bundle up the discarded shredded newspaper, and immediately take it outside to the garbage can. Wash the litter box daily and refill it with clean shredded newspaper.

Our cat expert will be along to give more tips and information.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybouquet View Post
    I am using newspapers in place of litter, and there are all kinds of tiny black bugs that seem to like the feces. I also see these crawling hopping little things in my bathroom sink, and in the trash can in the kitchen. They are the size of a cat flea but they are not a cat flea.

This I south Jersey. They could be in the trash because the dirty newspapers are in there.
    How do you know they are not fleas? Flea larvae do not have to incubate on an animal, but can fall of the host and incubate anywhere. So, larvae are falling off the cat onto the newspaper and it only appears that they are into the cat feces because how do you know this for sure unless you have a magnifying glass? In fact, unless you have a magnifying glass how do you know it is the same bug in your sink ?

Newspaper is about the filthiest medium you can use for cat litter, even sand would be a better alternative.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 11:45 AM
    Do you see these small insects flying at all. What there is of your description sounds like the small dung fly.

Name:  small dung fly.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  14.7 KB
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 3, 2014, 12:43 PM
    Oh, well I tried, but if you Google 'flea larvae incubating' you can see the stages. So yes, flea larvae do inclubate to whoever didn't like my answer. Sorry my answer was insulting.

I didnt think it was disjointed though, but very properly written. :) Cheers !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very tiny black bugs [ 3 Answers ]

I see them on my tiles carpets and every where.. what are they?

Tiny Black Bugs... Help [ 3 Answers ]

I started getting bites on my arms , legs, thighs, arms ,and back when I wake up in the morning.. I went to the doctor and they said they are bug bites and I am having a reaction and that I need to find out what kind of bug it is. It starts with a little pain then itches. I noticed today a very...

Tiny black bugs [ 2 Answers ]

I have hundreds of tiny black bugs in my bathtub and sink. The are only about 1/8 inch long with about 6 or 8 legs. The body is oval with a point at one end and two little curving antennae (?) coming out from the point. I live in the high desert area of Southern California and I've just started...

View more questions Search