Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandycody123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 09:20 PM
    How do I change the jurisdiction from Florida to Michigan
    I would like to get the jurisdiction from Florida to Michigan changed for my children,4 and 10. He has remarried and now wants the kids it will go to court down their and I don't have a job for money to do this. He did not want the kids then and now I guess he trying to imprress her please help
    justv Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Mar 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
    Dear Sandycody; try not to worry too much because most likely if you and the children have lived in Michigan for, I think, 6 months, the jurisdiction is automatically Michigan. Get on the web. Do the Google. Call any family court. They will tell you that they can't give legal advise but these people usually speak our langage. Just get on it! You can learn so much in one day that it will astound you. So if I'm correct and mind you, I am only guessing because so many family laws are similar, YOU can be the one to impress her. Already! Sounds more like to me, he's just bugging you so you will know how bliss his marriage really ain't. Prove me right or wrong by pm tomorrow. Go for the KNOW!

JustV
    sandycody123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 09:40 PM
    Thanks, but he will not concent to it we have been mi for 2 years
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2011, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justv View Post
    because most likely if you and the children have lived in Michigan for, I think, 6 months, the jurisdiction is automatically Michigan.
    This is NOT accurate. We don't "guess" in the law forums.

To Sandy,

Jurisdiction stays with the court that originally issued the custody order until a change of jurisdiction is requested. A change will be granted ONLY if both parents have moved from the jurisdiction of the court. So if the father is still in Florida, jurisdiction will remain in Florida. If not, then jurisdiction can be moved to where the children reside, but only by petitioning the court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jurisdiction [ 6 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can help me. I lived in CT with my two children for the past 14 yrs. I divorced my ex 5 yrs ago. On August 6, 2009 he filed a motion for sole custody because I wanted to move to MA. To live with my new husband ( I got married the next day and yes he served me on purpose the day...

Married in vegas, live in Florida and I want the divorce. Can I do it in Florida? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in Vegas.. I'm from Guatemala, we are still in the process of legalizating me, but we've been having a lot of problems, and I'm actually contemplating a divorce. We live in Florida... do I have to go back to vegas to get a divorce, can I do it from here in Florida.. what about...

Who has the jurisdiction ? [ 17 Answers ]

I live in Alberta, Canada and I got a car from a seller in Ontario, then I sent a $1000 deposit and he sold the car to someone else but never returned money to me. I sent it with western union (bad idea, I know now) but my local police was actually helpful. They got his IP from Google (since...

Change of status from J-1 to H1B [ 1 Answers ]

I have J1-visa currently which will expire April 2009. A place where I am being trained would like to hire me and change my visa to H1B. Do I need to leave the country or not?

View more questions Search