Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jarbell1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Painting house
    I recently had painters come in and paint the outside of the house. I noticed that they mixed the paint with water. When I questioned them about why they were diluting the paint, they said it was necessary in order for the paint to come out smoother. Is this true that you normally mix paint with water or are they just trying to save money? If so, should painting the inside of house also require diluting the paint with water.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 12:33 PM

No paint manufacturer that I know of tells you to dilute their product unless you are spraying it, where they? Diluting paint gets you no where since thinned paint will likely need several coats to cover.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:54 AM

Hi, jarbell1!

Were they diluting it all of the time or just some of the time, please?

Thanks!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 01:27 AM
    When I questioned them about why they were diluting the paint, they said it was necessary in order for the paint to come out smoother.
    Many times on a day that is either to hot or usually cold, thinning paint is a normal practice. Yes thinning will make it come out smoother. The job talk is ( when you can't brush it out, thin it out)

Is this true that you normally mix paint with water or are they just trying to save money? If so, should painting the inside of house also require diluting the paint with water
    If they are trying to save money then the jokes on them as bal1 mentioned here in coats. It's a hair split here. Don't know site conditions/temps

If so, should painting the inside of house also require diluting the paint with water
    99% of the time that's not done unless you are spraying inside or out. Or again to cold.

Diluting paint gets you no where
    Some site temps require thinning of paint that's brushed on. It also depends on the quality of the paint which is basically how much pigment is put in it. I use Benjamin Moore which is a top quality paint and on occasions I need to thin it out

The only time any paint is thinned out/diluted is because it's a really HOT day painting an exterior door and the paint needs to be thinner to brush out better and not leave brush makes. Painting in the sun on a hot material is usually when that is done to a paint( it gets sticky). Then it's a gamble. Diluting paint too much not only weakens the paint it also cause the sheen to be duller.

Dilution is only done in very SMALL quantities at best.
    jarbell1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    No paint manufacturer that I know of tells you to dilute their product unless you are spraying it, where they? Diluting paint gets you no where since thinned paint will likely need several coats to cover.
    Yes, they were spraying it on.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 02:48 PM

Ok paint must be a certain viscosity to spray and different equipment has different viscosity requirements. If the coverage turned out Ok they were reasonable to thin with water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House painting [ 2 Answers ]

I'm thinking of going into house painting, I've done a little yrs ago on the side. What is the cost of being licenced and insured and bonded? I live in the detroit area. What is involved in getting started?

House painting [ 2 Answers ]

How do I estimate the costs of painting a both the interior and exterior of a house for a budget? The home is a single story w/ 3500 sq. ft. and interior cathedral ceilings. JBdil

Painting my house [ 2 Answers ]

I plan on painting the exterior of my house this summer, again. I have had trouble getting the paint to adhere to the cedar siding. It bubbles and peels quickly even though I prepare the siding by sanding and applying exterior primer. Is there something else I should do or is there a type of paint...

Painting my house [ 1 Answers ]

Plan to paint my house this summer, but have not been successful in finding a paint that will last on the cedar siding. Bubbles and peels quickly. Is there a paint that will adhere to this siding?

View more questions Search