Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IfixIt Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    In that case, I would forget about the switch, leave on high, and get a wall Speed Control.
    Thank you for your suggestion. It's a great fix around and I will do just that if this second switch doesn't work. The point is, however, to let other users that run into the same problem know about these replacement switches that HD sell for their exclusive Hampton Bay fans.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 08:24 AM

I do know it can be a pain finding correct switch, being stuck in High is best case.

Jan 25, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IfixIt View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion. It's a great fix around and I will do just that if this second switch doesn't work. The point is, however, to let other users that run into the same problem know about these replacement switches that HD sell for their exclusive Hampton Bay fans.
    Sorry! My statement should read:... the GE replacement switches that Home Depot sell for their exclusive Hampoton Bay fans are not interchangeable and do not work.

Jan 25, 2009, 02:49 PM
    Follow-up to my previous posts. OK... as I said before the first 4 wire 3 speed fan switch did not work and had to return it. I then got the other switch they had in stock which is a Westinghouse #77020 3-4 wire 3 speed switch and this one did the trick. It works just fine.

Here is what you must do:
    1. Once you have access to the switch and before you pull the wires make sure to write down the color and position of the wires like this: #1=gray, #2=brown, #3=black and #L=purple. Also, do not make the mistake of cutting the wires; there is no need to cut the wires.

2. To pull the wires from the old switch, insert a straightened out paper clip into the wire terminal and push down the spring while you pull the wire.

3. Rewire the new switch with the color/position wires as the old switch

If if your fan is stuck in high speed like in my case and you can’t find the correct switch; the other work around as suggested by ‘Stratmando’ is to opt to install a ‘wall speed control’ also known as a dimmer switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 01:11 PM

First of all, when you say it was stuck on high, what happened when you attempted to switch it to a different speed, did it click?

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Jan 26, 2009, 03:38 PM
    [QUOTE=ceilingfanrepair;1509572]First of all, when you say it was stuck on high, what happened when you attempted to switch it to a different speed, did it click?

I said it was stuck on high because the pull chain broke off inside the switch and luckily the fan was running in high speed. I could not switch it to different speeds because there was no chain to pull.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 04:24 PM

Some can be dissassembled by pressing 2 or 3plastic clips, can be reattached, a little tricky.
    Wouldn't suggest repairing the rivited ones unless, able to do safely.

CeilingFans Link is very helpful for finding a replacement switch.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 08:43 PM

What make is the fan?
    jdmclv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 09:36 AM
    I am also needing to replace the switch due to a broken chain. I tried a similar switch from home depot and it did not accommodate for the 'off' position which I must have as there is no wall switch for the fan (it is wired directly into the breaker box). The original switch is a dual layer switch that I disassembled to see how it works. One layer controls the on & off with the line wire and in the on position it gives power to the other layer for the 3 speed control. Mine also has the black capacitor box that I was able to test by straight wiring each speed position individually. I have pretty much figured out that I must obtain this same particular type of switch in order for the fan to be controlled properly. Home depot basically only sells a 4 wire switch that does not provide for the 'off' position and an 8 wire switch which is dual layer that fuctions entirely different (although it it shaped exactly the same as my broken one). So I'm basically still at square one with the switch and have decided to straight wire the low speed setting and use the breaker box for on & off until I find the right switch (hopefully by next spring).
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2009, 10:07 AM

If you cannot find correct switch, maybe wire for Full Speed, and use a Fan Control?
    You may find additional info on one of the last 9 pages.
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2009, 10:17 PM

What make is the fan?
    rmavriam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 12:27 PM
    A hunter fan

A hunter fan

A hunter fan

A hunter fan
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 01:21 PM

Let me see if I get this right, You have a Hunter Fan? If so, what colors do you have?
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 10:50 PM

What about your Hunter fan?
    ILBARONE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 06:50 AM
    This is an old question; However I will endeavor an update; First the
    3 speed 4 wire switch wiring connections are always the Power to 'L' Which is the BLACK WIRE Silver/grey #1,Brown #2,Purple #3..
    The high speed wire is usually the SILVER # 1... A simple test would be connect the Black (Line wire) to #1 Silver directly w/o switch should make fan fly. Check each wire same way note results. As fragile as the pull chain switch is I always turn on/off from a wall switch. Leaving the pull chain on medium will result in lesser strain on pull chain. SECONDARY cause of malfunction is the Capacitor Module
    Which connects to switch. This part has to be ordered from Manufacturer.. Most electricians do not carry them except they may utilize spare parts from broken fans etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by boojumm View Post
    did not work as the chain broke off inside. The wires were in this order. Purple to the "L" connector, Black to the "1" connector, Brown to the "2" connector, and Grey to the "3" connector. The new switch is identical to the old one from the outside... I guess it could be different inside. I obtained it from Home Depot and the staff there seemed knowledgeable and pointed me to this one. When I thought it was defective, I returned it and purchased another at Lowe's... Same problem.
    Kenadale Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 05:29 PM
    The fan I have is about 20 years old. The neck of the switch broke, but the switch still worked. I did what most everyone else did, went to HD and Lowe's for a 4 wire, 3 speed switch and installed it. The fan would not work! I uesed my OHM meter to check and compare the switch configuration of the old switch with the new switch. The were very different. The original switch was a KTE 308-A. Using my meter I measured between L and each of the other three connections( 1,2,3) for each position of the chain pull. The following are the results of the test.

Position L / 1 L / 2 L / 3
    1 ON ON OFF
    2 ON ON ON
    3 OFF ON ON
    4 ON OFF ON

This is the switch configuration that I need. It may be time to replace the fan.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 12:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBARONE View Post
    This is an old question; However I will endeavor an update; First the
    3 speed 4 wire switch wiring connections are always the Power to 'L' Which is the BLACK WIRE Silver/grey #1,Brown #2,Purple #3..
    The high speed wire is usually the SILVER # 1... A simple test would be connect the Black (Line wire) to #1 Silver directly w/o switch should make fan fly. Check each wire same way note results. As fragile as the pull chain switch is I always turn on/off from a wall switch. Leaving the pull chain on medium will result in lesser strain on pull chain. SECONDARY cause of malfunction is the Capacitor Module
    which connects to switch. This part has to be ordered from Manufacturer.. Most electricians do not carry them except they may utilize spare parts from broken fans etc.
    1. High is not always silver in many fans
    2. Don't go randomly connecting wires, you may fry something
    3. Leaving fans on medium is silly. The speed switch is there for a reason
    4. Capacitor malfuction is actually more common than pullchain malfunction, and they can be ordered online.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Replacing a pull chain switch [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My new pull chain switch has (only) two black wires; how do I connect it to the ceiling wires (one black, one white, plus the ground wire)? Thank you! Willow

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

Ceiling Fan Pull String 3-speed Switch [ 1 Answers ]

What if someone by mistake wrongly connect the load on the switch (L) to one of the other wires (yellow, red, green)? Can this (cross wiring or mixing) cause (cross-wire) damage to the motor? Please help. I need this help urgently.

View more questions Search