Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vnnkenzs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
    F1 (1 semester) + OPT (2 months) + H1b visa (3 months), how to file Taxes?
    I came on F1 visa and graduated in May 2008 (studied 1 semester in 2008) then I started my job as a physical therapist on OPT base for 2 months and I got H1b visa and worked 3 more months in 2008,

1) how do I file taxes?
    2) which things do I have keep in mind while I file taxes?

Fairly new about taxes and all that stuff, can anybody guide me in proper way?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 12:03 AM

If you are single, you must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843.

Since you have F1/OPT income you will get deduction based on tax treaty between the U.S. and your country.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    newyork_buddy_2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2016, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    If you are single, you must file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843.

Since you have F1/OPT income you will get deduction based on tax treaty between the U.S. and your country.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    What if I am not single and I worked in OPT for a few months and the remaining time in H-4 EAD?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2016, 01:59 PM
    Redundant question; already answered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ for 7 months, lived in PA for 5 months - What taxes should I file? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having some issues with this. In 2008 I lived in Jersey for 7 months, lived in PA for the other 5 months and have ALWAYS worked in Jersey. What forms should I file? I filed PA already and NJ Resident for those 7 months. Do I have to do a NJNR for the other 5 months?

Can I file taxes if I worked 3 months [ 1 Answers ]

I grossed about $900 this year, I have 2 kids 15 & 9

No menstrual cycles after giving birth 16 months ago and weaning 2 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

I gave birth in July 2007 and nursed my son until the middle of September 2008. Unlike after I gave birth to my daughter 5 years ago, I did not resume my menstrual cycles as I continued to nurse my son and would only have a few days of spotting. Now, it has been 2 months since I totally weaned...

Bleeding 3 months straight after depo shot 4 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

The birth control shot I got was supposed to be good for 3 months. I got it 4 months ago, so I realize it should have worn off by now. Everything was fine for the 1st month, but for the past 3 MONTHS, I my vagina has continually been bleeding. After it had been doing this for 3 weeks I called to...

1.5 Months - Should I file tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im in H1B and came here last November. My SSN application got delayed and got it only on January. My company says even though you were paid, you shall not file tax returns for year 2005. That salary will be carried forward and will be treated together with the 2006 salary. They are planning...

View more questions Search