Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 2, 2013, 05:35 PM
    Mark Chapman
    Does anyone think that Mark Chapman will ever be released from prison? I certainly hope not, but he's only 58 and gets a parole hearing every 2 years. I think he should have either gotten the death penalty or life without parole since his crime was premeditated. I feel bad for his family, they have to worry every 2 years that he might get out. I'm surprised that he hasn't been killed by another inmate since Lennon was so popular. The guy who shot George Wallace was release after serving about 35 years so you never know what could happen with Chapman.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2013, 06:07 PM
    I think he might get out when he's about 70-75, but possibly never. The public outrage is still strong, and it's also not clear that he won't do something again - and where will he be safe from all the people who want to kill him (not that I think that should be part of the consideration). He had planned to kill several famous people, and his 'statement' of Catcher in the Rye is deranged. Despite being ordered to have some mental health treatment in prison, I doubt very much that he changed his mindset, even if it's been under wraps all these years, while he's a model prisoner.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2013, 06:49 PM
    I don't think he will - there will always be ardent Lennon fans who will protest his release.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2013, 03:25 AM
    One never knows, the popularity of the victim should not be the reason for punishment, if others doing same crime gets parole, they should also.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 3, 2013, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    One never knows, the popularity of the victim should not be the reason for punishment, if others doing same crime gets parole, they should also.
    True, but public outcry involves politics and clout from high places.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2013, 05:03 AM
    "One never knows, the popularity of the victim should not be the reason for punishment, if others doing same crime gets parole, they should also."

True, and that's why I said "I think." I do think high profile criminals have a lessor chance of release to the public's awareness and involvement. Not that he should ever get out and run around loose but Charles Manson is another example. Sharon Tate's family will never lose interest (for lack of another phrase) in keeping him in jail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mark 7:31-36 [ 8 Answers ]

How does this verse impact our lives

Mr John Chapman [ 1 Answers ]

Given the address of an old friend in the 1970s, is it possible to trace their current address (eg. By searching electoral rolls or land registry records)?

View more questions Search