Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Oct 3, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Can't use 3rd PC with either a ethernet lead or wireless usb connector
    Hi,

I have a netgear router to run the main PC and a laptop. I want to run a 3rd ps using an ethernet cable. I have tried in vane to use a usb wireless connector and despite it only being 4mtrs away it will not pick up a signal.

I have tried using the ethernet lead but am having the same problem. I don't know what the problem is. When I plug the lead into the router it doesn't show a lit up number on the front of the router, yet when I move the lead from the modem into any of the 4 ports on the router, which ever one I plug it into the light show up in any of the 4 ports.

Could it be a faulty router or a problem with the PC.

Thanks Richard
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 3, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cornedbeef View Post
    Could it be a faulty router or a problem with the pc.
    If the router ports are successfully negotiating a link (light comes on) with another device, the router would seem to be OK. So, first try a known good Ethernet cable and then suspect that the network adapter in the computer is faulty.
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Oct 10, 2009, 03:16 PM

Check in the control panel that the network adapter is not disabled

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 2nd mac via ethernet and wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

HI.. I have a mac and am trying to connect a 2nd mac for internet access with a wireless router and an ethernet cable. It all appears to be working, but then we don't actually have a connection. Any ideas much appreciated. Imelda

Wireless ethernet LAN network PCI card [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a used (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) & a used (Encore 802.11g wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) from Ebay for my desktop with XP Pro & SP2.I have the instructions & disc for my (Netgear WRG614 wireless router) but the (wireless ethernet LAN network pci card) did'nt come...

Abe to connet to Wireless but not through Ethernet Cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have a strange problem... I am able to connect to Wireless network but not able to connect through the ethernet cable to same network. I am not able to renew my IP address with ipconfig /all or inconfig /release/renew I tried rebooting my router but it doesn't help. I am using belkin...

Ethernet connection slow, wireless is fine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am using the Actiontec MI-424WR or MI424WR router that I am provided by verizon. My service provides 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up. When I first got the service earlier this month tests done at speakeasy showed 15/1.7 which was normal. The past week or so, my connection has deteriorated to being...

Interfacing ethernet to wireless LAN [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Dear, I am currently using ethernet connection.I have ethernet slot in my room.I want to make a wireless connection of 4 or 5 laptops with this available slot. How can I do this?What necessary products I will be requiring for this. Guide me, I am new in this field. Regards Imran

View more questions Search