Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prestigeservice Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 09:54 AM
    HOW to obtain cleaning contracts and also how todo marketing for my cleaning business
    Hello
    I just started my own cleaning business 5months ago with my husband
    I have one contract so far... its a small restaurant cleaning once a week which is not much... I just basically looked through the phone book and that's how I got it really called a bunch of people and got lucky...
    What I need too know is how I go about getting more contracts how do I approch the client?
    What do I say too keep them interested..?
    Is there anywhere elese that I can find contracts other than a phone book can someone guide me where too go and how too find them?

I also would like to know how I can market my business that will attract the eye?

My business is called prestige cleaning we do commercial and residential

Please answer :confused:

Hamilton ontario
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2009, 08:29 PM
    Hi, Prestigeservice!

The fact that you're making personal contact with potential clients is good! How about stopping in at places and asking people in person? Are you in the Yellow Pages of the phone book? Have you advertised anything online? Also, are you a member of or attend meetings where a goup of people might gather, like a church, club or other type of organization, please?

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2009, 03:38 PM

Yes I have called people through the phone book and also have gone and met people face to face... no I haven't joined a group of any sort... but it would be nice if anyone could help me in trying to point me in a good direction for my buiness
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 06:33 PM

Cold calling is hard work but it works and gets results.

Be upfront when talking to them; " I am in the cleaning business and we would like to be of service to you. We do cleaning, windows, scrub floors and wax them, we clean carpets, etc. Can we take a moment and talk?"

Groups:

Local Chamber of Commerce

Local net working groups

Newspapers (business sections)

Trade magazines

Local business fairs

Etc...

Stringer
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Hi again, Prestigeservice!

Do you have businuess cards and flyers printed up that tell some things about the services that you provide, please?

Thanks!
    Business Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post

Do you have businuess cards and flyers printed up that tell some things about the services that you provide, please?

Thanks!
    HI Clough, you are right. I made a bad assumption and thought that they were already set up.

Incorporated, liability insurance, business plan, equipment, supplies, possibly flyers, etc?

Stringer

Oct 12, 2009, 08:10 PM

Yes I do have those
    Business Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestigeservice View Post
    yes i do have those
    Good, now get out and knock on doors, that's where it all starts...

Stringer
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    HI Clough, you are right. I made a bad assumption and thought that they were already set up.

Incorporated, liability insurance, business plan, equipment, supplies, possibly flyers, etc?

Stringer
    Hi, Stringer!

In my opinion, your assumption was totally "in place", appropriate and "on the ball!"

A lot of things go into the business planning of this type of business and things might not get sorted in the correct order at first. Best to be thinking of everything involved, right off the bat!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
    yes i do have those

Do you mean everything that Stringer has mentioned, please?

I also asked you earlier on this thread if you've advertised anything online about your business. Have you?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2009, 12:21 PM

No I have not yet how do I do that?
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
    no i have not yet how do i do that?
    If you mean advertising online, I can help to show you how to do that so that it doesn't cost you any money and so that you get the best exposure for what you do, where you do it.

I'll be on here much later this evening.

Thanks!
    FacilitySupport Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

May 14, 2010, 11:27 AM
    Greetings Prestige Service,
    Again I'm late getting here but your question addresses my career "pet project" so I need to respond. I consider responding to newcomers to the business a way to pay tribute to those who were gracious enough to share with me in the beginning, so here goes...
    As I read, I learn you have already received some valuable information. I'll add my two cents also.
    Below I'm going to paste a small article that's been floating around the Internet recently and it responds well to your question about direct sales and marketing. The article will suggest setting up a database (I like the MS Works database) and keeping in touch with prospects for future business. You explain that you called through the Yellow Pages. That's very good, but it's not over. Some time down the road the people you briefly spoke with will be re-evaluating their cleaning needs and wishing they could find your information to call you. You will need to call them periodically just to check in and say "just checking on ya.... making sure you're still doing OK. Have a great day!". Believe me, someone will say "Thank God you called! ... this place is a mess" and then that little sound in the back of your head goes "Cha-Ching!". Anyhow here's the article. Good Luck with Prestige Service! - Tom

Set Up A Time Sensitive Database to Grow Your Sales
    By - Thomas Anthony

If your prospect will need to purchase your service or product tomorrow and you call him today good things happen. The most important of which is his belief in your opinion of the importance of his issues (hard sentence, important point). You knew he would need you tomorrow and you called today. That's the company he wants to do business with!

When I stop at the traffic light and the man approaches me saying “Hey buddy, wanna get her some flowers?”, I just close the window. I have absolutely no reason to talk with that man today and I really wish he would leave me alone. But……. When he came over to my car the day I was going to see my girlfriend and apologize…. Well that’s another story! I quickly paid his $20.00 and said “thank you” with a truly genuine tone.

“The squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Truer words have never been spoken and understanding how that phrase applies to your business is absolutely mandatory! Squeek at the right time and get even more grease! Your company may be the strongest, most professional, most experienced and most capable player in your market for a particular task, but if you are the only person that knows that information…. Well… you get the idea.

Every business needs to advertise to grow and establish a client base. Always remember your client base is where your consistent cash flow and your referrals come from. Whether it’s signs, uniforms, print, radio or Internet advertising, telemarketing or direct sales, you need to do something to fuel your business. Telemarketing is the subject of this article, so I’ll touch on it here.

The brief overview of a telemarketing effort would be the understanding of who you are, what your immediate goals are and exactly who you should communicate that information to. As an example, if I were to be cold calling from a list of Facility Managers:

“Good morning, my name is Thomas Anthony and I’m with Facility Support Services. We are commercial cleaning vendors and I’m interested in competing for the cleaning business with your company. Who would be the person I need to speak with?” I wouldn’t offer any other information, unless asked, until I connect with their decision maker. When I do connect with the decision maker I would repeat the above sentences again to him/her followed by:

Are your cleaning requirements re-evaluated and bid annually or only as necessary? Their answer to that question gives you your action date. Forward them a little information about your company and add their information to your time sensitive prospect file. Their contract isn’t available for bid right now, so taking too much of their time now would be annoying and unprofessional (like the guy with the flowers). Set an approximate date with them for your follow up call (never more than 60-90 days), thank them for their time and send a follow up thank you letter/e-mail including brief company information. If your company has a strong client base, include it as footer to most of your correspondence.

A time sensitive database of all the prospects in your area is an incredibly valuable tool. Your time is much better spent, and your closing ratio is substantially greater, when you are sharing information about your company’s abilities with a decision maker at the time their looking for it (again the flowers). Every contact you have should reside in this database and you should check and update it daily. Soon it will be directing you towards new business and new cash flow streams. Try to include every prospect with a short “he said-she said” in the database to refresh your memory as necessary. Always remember the rule of SW:

SW: some will
    SW: some won’t
    SW: so what!. next! … and pick up the phone again.

Good luck with your prospecting!

Mr. Anthony’s service industry websites include:
    Facility Support Services http://www.acleaningbid.com and
    Staffing Tracker http://www.staffingtrack.com
    AdaXZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2011, 09:17 AM
    Advertising in local newspapers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial cleaning contracts [ 2 Answers ]

How to get commercial cleaning contracts in atlanta ga.

Anyone knows how to get cleaning contracts? [ 2 Answers ]

We're getting into a cleaning business, anyone who can give us pros how to get cleaning contracts?

How to get cleaning contracts [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best and most quick way to get cleaning contracts in your area for a business that is already doing residential cleaning, but wants to enter the market in the commercial arena?

Cleaning contracts [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know how to get cleaning contracts for commercial contracts

Getting cleaning contracts? [ 2 Answers ]

My dad started a cleaning company 20 years ago by going door to door and asking if they needed their windows cleaned. It took him a long time, but now he has a successful janitorial service based entirely on word of mouth advertising. I've worked for him since I was 15 and now I'm wanting to...

View more questions Search