Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldie_9256 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Getting refund from debt settlement company
    I started with a debt settlement company (GHS Debt Solutions) in Oct 2008. I was desperate and misunderstood "how" they actually negotiate the debts. I am out $1100 and they have informed me that I am not due a refund because it was money "earned". I read the contract and have found that actually, they are owed the first 3rd of the payment, so I really owe them another $1100, but they have terminated the agreement and because I gave them enough notice, they will not take any more money. My question is, should I try to fight to get my $1100 back or just leave it alone? I am afraid they will try to collect the other $1100 if I push it too hard.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie_9256 View Post
    I started with a debt settlement company (GHS Debt Solutions) in Oct 2008. I was desperate and misunderstood "how" they actually negotiate the debts. I am out $1100 and they have informed me that I am not due a refund because it was money "earned". I read the contract and have found that actually, they are owed the first 3rd of the payment, so I really owe them another $1100, but they have terminated the agreement and because I gave them enough notice, they will not take any more money. My question is, should I try to fight to get my $1100 back or just leave it alone? I am afraid they will try to collect the other $1100 if I push it too hard.

If push comes to shove - legally - the terms of the Contract will be enforced. If the Contract says you owe $1,100 "no matter what," that's what you will owe.

If you signed a Contract and didn't understand what it said, you will still be bound to it.

(I'm surprised based on what I've read on these debt settlement companies that they are excusing the second payment. I'd consider myself fortunate and run in the opposite direction.)

I just checked them out on the Internet and they have a fairly good rating, a "B" from the Better Business Bureau and not a lot of bad feedback. Some of the others are overwhelming bad.
    goldie_9256 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. I think I will run the other way and consider this a loss and stupidity based on my part.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie_9256 View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. I think I will run the other way and consider this a loss and stupidity based on my part.

Don't be so hard on yourself - it's never stupidity if you learn something from the experience, however costly.

Know what might be helpful? If you'd check back now and then. People have questions about these debt reduction companies all the time and about 90% don't believe that there can be problems. You could really be helpful to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt settlement company [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone use US Debt Relief, INC? If so are you pleased with them? I am looking for a DSC now and feel overwhelmed with the thought of getting screwed. I have made some initial contact with Oakview Law Group through debtconsolidationcare.com. Anyone heard of them? I guess I'm looking for a...

Debt settlement company [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody out there know of a reliable and honest debt settlement company that can actually deliver there promises. I would appreciate anyone's input since I'm in the process of finding one. Thank you

Choosing Debt Settlement Company [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have approximately $9000 in unsecured debt and have been trying to find the right company to go with. However, I have heard horror stories of people getting ripped off by shady "debt settlement firms". Does anyone out there have an idea of which company is the best and is honest? ...

Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that...

CC company offering a settlement? [ 1 Answers ]

The situation is this... The credit card company has offered a settlement that is lower than the balance on the card. The card is deliquent by months. Pay the settlement? How does that effect credit history and credit score? Would the company report this payoff?

View more questions Search