Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephstombaugh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
    Do I need to have a license to sell my puppies on line?
    I have a litter of puppies. I would like to put a web page up with them do I need to have a licence and charge sales tax for them. Would be considered a small business?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 05:35 AM

Yes, I can see it now. Buy a puppy on line and we will ship Fed Ex or UPS.

If you want to sell your puppies, how do you make sure they are going to a proper home? Why can't you put them up for 'adoption' from an ad in a paper where you live?

What kind of puppies are they ?

To answer your question, no you don't need a license, or charge sales tax, and no is would not be considered a small business.
    Tick
    stephstombaugh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 05:59 AM
    My puppie just do not go to anyone. The new homes have to meet to my standards and if they do not and the family does not then my puppies stays right here at home until the proper family can be found for he or she. I take pride in every puppy I sell and give away to loving homes.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stephstombaugh View Post
    My puppie just do not go to anyone. The new homes have to meet to my standards and if they do not and the family does not then my puppies stays right here at home until the proper family can be found for he or she. I take pride in every puppy I sell and give away to loving homes.
    I am glad you have high standards for your pups (what kind are they?). A lot of people don't care where pups go or what happens after.

Tick
    stepstombaugh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 06:52 AM
    They are beautiful boxers. The come from good loving parent. Not just my husband and I but their mother and father.
    I want to make a web page so people can see how wonderful our hole family is but I am not sure.
    I want my babies to go to loving families.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 25, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Occasional selling has and probably always will be a grey area as far as taxes and licensing go.
    The IRS says you have to report all income over $400 PER YEAR, believe it or not, so naturally people turn a deaf ear and have yard sales and put things on craigslist or eBay without paying a dime to the state or feds.
    I wouldn't go for the state sales license just yet, but I would declare the income to the IRS next year, since your gross could be sizable. Keep track of all expenses, of course. If you decide to be a regular breeder after the first litter, then get the license and start charging sales tax. Breeders have the same problems any business has, with people returning dogs and demanding their money back for all sorts of reasons, so have a cushion of savings (and for taxes).
    Websites do exist for individual sellers of dogs, which is convenient for all parties, especially the shoppers.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 12:43 PM

You will need to look into your local laws on 'breeding' and 'selling' animals. Different places have different laws in place trying to curb the number of back-yard and puppy-mill breeders. Some places are much stricter than other places. Usually, one litter isn't going to be affected but multiple litters can be.

I hope you have thought this through and had your dogs tested for genetic disorders. Also keep in mind that a dog is a living creature and each litter she has puts a greater strain on her body.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stepstombaugh View Post
    They are beautiful boxers. The come from good loving parent. Not just my husband and I but their mother and father.
    I want to make a web page so people can see how wonderful our hole family is but I am not sure.
    I want my babies to go to loving families.
    If you make a web page make sure to include the list of all the titles both dogs (the male and female) have won, include the breeding lines they came from (up to at least 3 generations back), the scores of all the testing you (as a breeder) have done, and a copy of the contract you expect prospective owners to sign.

Show that you are a legitimate breeder, not just a backyard breeder hoping to make some extra money by selling living beings.

Is this the first litter you've had since you started breeding? Have you talked to your breeding mentor about how to go about placing the puppies in a good home? It's always best to go to a pro, and in this case, your breeding mentor would be able to help you the best.

Advertising in the paper is not ideal. Didn't you have a waiting list for your beautiful boxers? Most breeders have people that put in a request for a puppy as soon as, or even before, pregnancy is confirmed. Registered breeders don't need to advertise, their pups sell themselves. :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Is this the first litter you've had since you started breeding? Have you talked to your breeding mentor about how to go about placing the puppies in a good home? It's always best to go to a pro, and in this case, your breeding mentor would be able to help you the best.

Breeding mentor's will also help you with families who have been waiting for dogs. Usually these people have already been approved - so to speak - by themselves. Very important to have all the genetic testing scores down there, people rely on reputable breeders for a healthy dog. After all people are willing to pay a little more for a good blood line.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 06:31 PM

Just realized this was closed. Sorry :o
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2011, 07:20 PM

Ok, moderators right, I am going to add something even though it is closed.

If you are breeding animals for sale, and do it as a business. You are not only going to have to get a business license, but a breeders license and have your facility inspected by the state to insure the animals are being housed and cared for according to state laws
    *** will vary by state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a license to sell wine [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need a wine license to sell in Florida. I will be buying the wine from a wholesale company.

Petland is accused of scheme to sell sick puppies [ 1 Answers ]

Petland is accused of scheme to sell sick puppies I thought I'd share this Yahoo news article with everyone here. This is why you shouldn't buy puppies from pet stores!!

How to get a retail license to sell kart parts [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get a retail license to sell kart parts?

When is the best time to sell the puppies [ 3 Answers ]

When will I be able to sell the puppies my dog just had yesterday? How long do they have to be with the mama?

View more questions Search