Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irnoob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Netgear router issue
    So I got an xbox 360 and set up a wireless network. Everything was working fine, but the next day when I turned on my laptop I got a "passkey invalid" message. Retyped it a few times, then gave up and reset it. Again, everything works fine... until the next day, "passkey invalid."

My network looks like this:

Cable in>
    Modem>
    Router(netgear, wgr614)>
    Xbox 360(connected via cat 5 lan)
    Desktop(connected via belkin usb adapter)
    Laptop(connected via built in wifi)

The xbox works fine and I can connect my laptop via lan to reset the passkey, but id rather not have to reset it every day.
    Thanks for your time
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Dec 30, 2008, 10:00 AM

Does your router have a built-in 4-port switch?

If so, connect your Desktop PC to the switch and NOT the USB adapter.

Remove any saved wireless profiles on your laptop and add a new connection. Save this new connection with the correct wireless security information.
    irnoob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    Does your router have a built-in 4-port switch?

If so, connect your Desktop PC to the switch and NOT the USB adapter.

Remove any saved wireless profiles on your laptop and add a new connection. Save this new connection with the correct wireless security information.
    Hey thanks for the advice,

It does have a built in port switch, but the problem with that is the xbox. If I connect the router to the desktop I then have to either purchase the xbox 360 wireless network adapter for another $100 or run a 30' cable across my apartment, neither of which are very appealing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to reconfigure my NETGEAR Router [ 2 Answers ]

My internet provider has confirmed with me that I have a successful internet connection (obviously, because I am writing this), but they tell me I have to Reconfigure my router and won't help me past that. I have a Netgear WGR614 v4 wireless router. I had some issues with my provider over the...

Reconfiguring a netgear router [ 1 Answers ]

After Aol main computer went down ny riyter setting need to be reconfigured how do I do this?. I can't ring them as I'm only using broadband and don't have a phone :(

D-link adsl router and netgear wi-fi [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am bit confused what has happened in my office. I will explain to you people briefly , if possible help me out. We have a broadband connection the lone is configured through D-LINK ADSL router and its connected to a 8 port switch. Now recently we purchased a NETGEAR WI-FI...

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search