Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KeyshiaMarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 AM
    Can a goldfish live in a Betta bowl?
    I brought two goldfish yesterday.. they are very small... but they are in a beta bowl... I changed the water because it got dirty quick... still they seem to be at the top gasping for air... I have no filter or nothing yet.. I will get that asap! But how long do you think they will survive? I'm scared I don't want to lose my babies!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 17, 2013, 01:08 AM
    Basically lack of prep causes lose of fish.
    You can't simply fill a container with tap water and plonk fish in, they will most likely die.
    KeyshiaMarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2013, 01:14 AM
    I didn't.. I have food and, this stuff to get the calorie out the water.. I had a beta bowl already.. I mean I need actual help her somebody who actually knows
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Basically lack of prep causes lose of fish.
    You can't simply fill a container with tap water and plonk fish in, they will most likely die.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyshiaMarie View Post
    i mean i need actual help her somebody who actually knows
    Ben was right... so he does know.

First, a Beta bowl is way too small for a single goldfish of any size, let alone putting 2 in there. Goldfish need much more room and surface area than a Beta bowl will allow. Notice that it is called a Beta bowl and not a Goldfish bowl.

The general rule I have always gone by is 2 gallons per goldfish, but surface area and filtration also factor into this too. Goldfish are incredibly dirty and use lots of oxygen so they need things to keep them going and a little Beta bowl just isn't the answer.

Ben is also correct in that the water needs to be conditioned for fish. Chlorine must be removed. PH should be adjusted. Temperature matters.

Read this for more information...

Essential Goldfish Care Guidelines

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can goldfish live in fish bowls? [ 14 Answers ]

I went to walmart to get a fish, a betta fish actually, and they were all out so I was just going to get a goldfish instead and put it in a fish bowl but the lady was like "Oh, it won't survive in a fish bowl it has to be in a tank." But, the fish was full grown and it was just as big as a betta...

Beta fish in goldfish bowl [ 16 Answers ]

Unfortunately the other day my Golden Dojo Loach died. I cleaned out his bowl and now sitting here looking at it(the empty bowl) makes me feel pretty sad. I've decide to get another fish but am wondering can beta fish live in fish bowls? A person at a pet store told me yes, but on the internet it...

What can betta fish live with? [ 2 Answers ]

I used to have a girl betta fish and she lived with other fish and people now are saying that bettas can't live with any other fish. If so, what can they live with because I feel bad having my soon to be betta living all alone. I'm getting it tomorrow!

Betta fish [ 1 Answers ]

Do betta fish really need an air pump in their tank/bowl? Can they just sit in still water? And if they are in s5till water, how often do you have to change the water??

GH/KH concern with new Betta [ 1 Answers ]

Hello :), I have a 6 gallon tank in my office with a PH of 7.2, and a GH and KH of about 53.7, (as far as I'm understanding on the API test kit.) I just got my Betta and plan to put him in his new home this evening; but I'm trying to figure out if my GH and KH levels are all right. Some of...

View more questions Search