Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnmall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 09:34 AM
    failed dot drug test
    after 20 years of driving does 1/2 joint seven days before failed random finish career as driver?& if so .how stupid will all this b.s. be when they finally legalize pot for personal off duty use. Rite now if I was a raging alcoholic I'd be working! Funny rite?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 10:16 AM

No, it's not funny. I'm an accident investigator - I see accidents all the time, accidents involving drugs and/or alcohol. It doesn't matter what the future will bring concerning legalizing pot or what I think on the subject. What matters is the law.

I'm surprised you aren't also tested for alcohol.

If you failed your drug test, yes, I see your career ending.

If you want to discuss the unfairness of this as far as you are concerned, then this should be moved to a conversation thread.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 14, 2010, 10:51 AM

That really sucks. When that happens (assuming it's the first time), does it really mean the end? Nobody's perfect. EVERYONE makes mistakes. It wasn't like you were under the influence while you were driving. Right? If I were you... I wouldn't just "roll over". Maybe this situation can be addressed through litigation or something.

Look into it. Good luck.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 11:03 AM

If you are required to PASS random drugs tests and do not you will lose your job - it's as simple as that.

They have no idea when/where/how the OP was smoking. They only know he tested positive. How do they know he wasn't driving under the influence?

For that matter, how do you know he wasn't under the influence while driving?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 14, 2010, 11:43 AM

Thank you for your comments JudyKayTee. You're right... I don't know if John was under the influence while he was driving for work or not. I'm not an expert in these matters but from the standpoint of what I perceive as fair: one "dirty" test with an otherwise "clean" driving record with no evidence of breaking any law(s) while working; no accident or damages related to driving under the influence and maybe severe results of any further positive tests (or even a suspension of driving privileges for the first offense) would seem more productive. Our current unemployment rates are way too high to add more to the roles for what has apparently become socially accepatble (albeit illegal) behavior. I sure don't want to minimize the seriousness of the risks of DUI, though. I'm starting to think that our elected officials are getting "too personal". Here in California, there is legislation afoot to require safety seats for pets while in one's car.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

May 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    If you are required to PASS random drugs tests and do not you will lose your job - it's as simple as that.

They have no idea when/where/how the OP was smoking. They only know he tested positive. How do they know he wasn't driving under the influence?

For that matter, how do you know he wasn't under the influence while driving?
    I believe the DOT tests for a variety of drugs (including alcohol). Alcohol having a very short half life (time that it will show positive); marijuana has a half life of around 30 days (if memory serves) and cocaine is the longer lasting but needs to be tested through hair.

Bottom line, rules are rules--Laws are Laws! If you want to be a trucker don't smoke pot, if you want to smoke pot don't be a trucker... pretty simple.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmall View Post
    how stupid will all this b.s. be when they finally legalize pot for personal off duty use.
    Hello john:

Of course, it's stupid. I've been smoking every day and all day for 40 years. I drive too - pretty safely, I might add. I ain't no fool.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2010, 04:26 PM

It is a rule, and it is a law. DOT tests are done for the safety of the public, Most likely no it will not be legal but if it does, I will light one up myself, but for now, you knew the rules, and risked your job and your future for it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 09:33 AM

When you are subjected to a random drug test as a professional driver holding a CDL you know that you could fail if you are doing drugs or alcohol at the time of the test. This is part and parcel of the responsibilities of being a professional driver. It has nothing to do with being "fair" or the laws are changing, etc.

As a professional driver you have the responsibility thrust upon you once you've obtained that CDL and drive professionally. If you fail you don't drive. Simple as that. The DOT does not want MORE accidents on our roads especially with extremely heavy equipment being the cause of the accident.

True story from a trucking company I used to work for: How would you like a fully loaded semi trailer truck with 53' dry van smash into your home after it smashed through a concrete retaining wall in a one vehicle accident narrowly missing your 2 kids just sitting in front of the TV? This scenerio happened to a professional driver who had been smoking dope during his 8 hour break. Yes, he was fired and the accident cost his company 1/2 million dollars in damages to pay. He was a one vehicle accident with no other vehicle causing his accident. He lost control of the vehicle and smashed it.

If you smoke dope, expect to lose your professional driver's CDL license. And if you are a drunk and flunk your random drug test expect to lose your CDL as well. Drunks are fired on the spot as well so don't think just because a professional driver is a drunk that they are not fired either.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstar4u View Post
    Thank you for your comments JudyKayTee. You're right...I don't know if John was under the influence while he was driving for work or not. I'm not an expert in these matters but from the standpoint of what I perceive as fair: one "dirty" test with an otherwise "clean" driving record with no evidence of breaking any law(s) while working; no accident or damages related to driving under the influence and maybe severe results of any further positive tests (or even a suspension of driving priviledges for the first offense) would seem more productive. Our current unemployment rates are way too high to add more to the roles for what has apparently become socially accepatble (albeit illegal) behavior. I sure don't want to minimize the seriousness of the risks of DUI, though. I'm starting to think that our elected officials are getting "too personal". Here in California, there is legislation afoot to require safety seats for pets while in one's car.

In order to be licensed in my State many, many professions require random drug testing - you test dirty, you are unemployed. It's as simple as that.

Not taking a stand on one side or the other - I am aware I am subject to random testing. If I don't test clean I am no longer employed.

For me it's a simple choice - I need the employment.

Every time I investigate an accident and alcohol is involved the person had "2 beers." Every time it's anything else it's half a joint two days ago. I have no idea what the situation of OP is but that's what I hear every day of my life.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

May 15, 2010, 09:40 PM

LMAO... yup, Judy that's the same story I heard in the ER from everyone who blew a .200 or .300 or .400 BAL--dude I only had 2 beers.

Our rule of thumb was to double the amount of alcohol any man told you and tripple any amouth a woman told you. (women tend to minimize it even more due to social stigma, though that is not as true with women under 30).
    pirateman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 06:06 AM
    I am a licensed A&P mechanic and an alcoholic. I failed a dot test for alcohol and lost my job as well I should have. I immediately called A to seek help. Job or no job I was putting myself and others at risk. Whether its drugs or drink seek help before rather than after. In my indusrty we can be evaluated by a substance abuse pro and treated and at least get or license back. Will an employer hire me? Probably not. The main thing is to just stop. I could'nt do it alone. But with A or NA you have the support and fellowship of others like you. Some of us have the disease of addiction. We can't just stop. When we are in active addication ( drugs or alcohol) we lose the ability for rational thought.The outcome of not dealing with it is jail, insanity, or death. As for me I go to meetings every day. I commit to A because I'm tired oIf the alternative. I woke up and said " i'm done!" I found my God and ask for help hourly and thanks at the end of each day I don't drink. If I never touch an airplane again that's OK because anything we put before sobriety we will lose and I'm living proof.If I'm flipping burgers for the rest of my life that's OK.mopping floors sober beats risking others lives drunk. Before you get caught.Before you hurt someone. Get help. It's there. Its free. It works if you work it.
    Cprestone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2012, 12:10 AM
    How do u legally get back to driving truck after failing a drug test and have been clean for a little over a year and have a certificate for completing a drug councilling but didn't have enough money to finish sap program?
    AandEbailbonds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 05:15 AM
    What's so stupid about all this is, 9 out of 10 truck wrecks are caused by idiots in cars that cut in front of a truck and cause the wreck. But they don't drug test the car driver and take his licences, but they do always blame the truck driver even though it wasn't his fault.This is one of the reasons I turned in my cdl and told them where they could shove it.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2012, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AandEbailbonds View Post
    Whats so stupid about all this is, 9 out of 10 truck wrecks are caused by idiots in cars that cut in front of a truck and cause the wreck. But they dont drug test the car driver and take his licences, but they do always blame the truck driver even though it wasn't his fault.This is one of the reasons i turned in my cdl and told them where they could shove it.

I'm an accident investigator. I've never heard this statistic before. What is your source?
    polarcelt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2012, 11:27 AM
    So I have a policy guide for an apprenticeship I am in. It states something about going through a counsiling program before being eligible for work. I smoked a little over a long weekend... right after passing a preemployment test for a new job. The apprenticeship selected me for a random. Is it a federal thing that I can no longer drive? I totally understand the seriousness, but I have also worked very hard to be where I am. I made 1 mistake and hope it is not the end of my career.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2012, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by polarcelt View Post
    So I have a policy guide for an apprenticeship I am in. It states something about going through a counsiling program before being eligable for work. I smoked a little over a long weekend... right after passing a preemployment test for a new job. The apprenticeship selected me for a random. Is it a federal thing that I can no longer drive? I totally understand the seriousness, but i have also worked very hard to be where I am. I made 1 mistake and hope it is not the end of my career.

The program is not going to be terribly sure that this was one mistake and you have learned. I'm not sure if you learned from the possible loss of employment or breaking the law standpoint.

What kind of license do you have?

Why would you have to go for counseling if you have no previous record?
    pot head Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Yes you can smoke pot and pass any urine test at any given time. For all you jack asses that are cocaine, heroin ,junkies yes it OK to do all these drugs cause they are out of your system in 3 days. Right? Wrong Pot is the safest drug that should never be tested for because it stays in your system for up to 45 days. Also pot helps in many ways that other drugs that I mentioned above do not. I say stop the madness and stop testing for pot. Your idiots that talk negative about pot users are the biggest uninformed idiots on earth. Smoke pot and pass a urine test every time.
    pot head Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 07:06 PM
    There are many drugs out there that are very bad but only stay in your system for 3 days. So there are a lot of junkies out there driven and can still pass a drug test. Pot which is good for many uses including lowering blood pressure,help cancer patients,sleep problems and many other good effects. Stop testing for pot and get rid of all the other driver junkies. You can pass a urine test for pot anytime every time with out any notice.
    dogged Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2013, 05:20 PM
    With all the tecknoligy today, you would think they could tell if you smoked today or 3 weeks ago. The testing is what needs to be changed. If you are on your own time for say aweek. And you smoke Monday, and as studies proved that the high effects of marijuana lasts for up to five hours, then test next Monday and fail. The effects have been long gone. You can't tell me with all the scientists in the country they couldn't be a little more specific. Our testing methods are from the sixties.. and that is just unacceptable. It ruins good peoples lifes every day. This is america and we are losing our freedoms everyday cause of a system that refuses to advance. Come on, the testing has not advanced in 50 years...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am on probation for theft, and I think I failed my first drug test.. [ 9 Answers ]

Here is my record: 2 thefts on my Underage record, one theft and one minor in possession of alcohol. I had a Diversion for the MIP, and I am done with that. Now I am on probation for theft--a class D felony. And needless to say, I stole a 4 DOLLAR PIZZA and I got 2 years of probation. I have...

Prescribed Lortab 7.5 but having an airline dot/faa drug test? [ 1 Answers ]

I am scheduled to have lapriscopic surgery to repair a hiatal hernia and prevent acid reflux. The doctor has presribed lortab 7.5 for post op pain. I am in the process of changing jobs from one airline to another airline. The new airline I will be working for is going to be sending me for a...

Failed drug test [ 5 Answers ]

On probation for DUI in FLA. Took drug test last week. Probably tested positive for cocaine. They used a panel test and made me wait, but said nothing of the results. Then, they told me to dump the remaining urine in toilet, throw the cup in garbage and leave. Would they revoke without...

Did drugs overseas.failed drug test in the you.S. [ 14 Answers ]

So. I'm asking questions on a thread I never thought I'd approach. I got a friend who just got back from a semester in Europe, and while she was there, she smoked some marijuana and did some ecstasy while on one of her excursions in Amsterdam. She came back, applied for jobs and failed a...

View more questions Search