Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Need help deciding on school
    Hi there,

So I have no idea what I want to do with my life, so I thought I would take a shot in the dark. Can someone help me decide? My deciding factors are basically this: Will the school accept financial aid? Is the entire course less than a year?

Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 08:14 PM

Less than a year? Not if you really want a good education.
    Vision Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 08:42 PM

I'm not looking to become a doctor. I'm looking for a trade program.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 08:53 PM

Your county's community college should offer a number of certificate programs that usually run a year or perhaps 15 months. There are nursing programs, library technical assistant programs, auto mechanic programs, cooking programs, child care programs, blood lab programs, etc.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 08:58 PM

Maybe this?

Welcome to Clark College

Check financial aid.
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 11:00 AM

I know where I can find the programs. I was actually asking for opinions, personal experience, good ideas. A list of programs isn't going to give me any perspective.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I know where I can find the programs. I was actually asking for opinions, personal experience, good ideas. A list of programs isn't gonna give me any perspective.
    Actually, yes, a list of programs will tell you what's available in your area. Distance courses are also an option with those programs.

I suggest you go to your community college's career office and take some interest and personality tests to find out who you are and what you're good at. That might guide you a bit. Talk with a career counselor. What do you like to do -- work with your hands, do lots of math and enjoy working with numbers, help people physically or emotionally or by waiting on them somehow? Do you like to work alone or with a bunch of people? Do you like working during night hours? Indoors or outdoors? In a strict structure or with lots of freedom?
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 11:35 AM

That's a good idea. But I'm not doing that, I'm asking you people for suggestions. Not for a list of programs. I want personal suggestions, stories, and opinions.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 11:39 AM

Personal story: I started as a teacher, became a librarian, later got a master's degree to be a counselor. I especially loved the people contact and being able to help them in various ways all three of those jobs. I also loved the detail and organizing of stuff that came with all three jobs. I did not become rich doing any of those jobs. In fact, I poured my own money back into all of those jobs to make things better for myself and for my students/patrons/clients.
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 11:42 AM

That's a good story. I like jobs where I'm helping someone. And I feel like I've made a difference in someone else's existence at the end of the day. I just saw a job for a pregnancy yoga teacher. That would be a cool job if I knew how to teach yoga, or even do yoga.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    That's a good story. I like jobs where I'm helping someone. And I feel like I've made a difference in someone else's existance at the end of the day. I just saw a job for a pregnancy yoga teacher. That would be a cool job if I knew how to teach yoga, or even do yoga.
    Combine that with baby massage. I have a friend who is a chiropractor in Boulder, CO. In the evenings, she teaches yoga to any age of people including pregnant ones and senior citizens. She also hold classes on baby massage and other body touching techniques to soothe babies and small children. She's branching out into animal massage.

Reike and other stress-relieving techniques are very "in" right now -- and will continue to be.
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 11:48 AM

That's cool. That's a good idea.
    I will think on that one for a while.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2010, 11:56 AM

If you want a degree in under a year, then I suggest to save your money. The most you'd be able to get is a certificate which a is offered one to anyone with a puls. Employers know this, so the return on this investment is non-existant.

You mentioned yoga. My cousin is now a yoga instructor after years of training with another yogi. No formal education needed.

Even if the trade you want to do is, let's say welding, you'd be better off doing it the old fashioned way by means of apprenticeship. Granted, you have to know a welder but he's not going to charge you for an education.
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 12:24 PM

See even the yoga job that I looked for asks for a certification. I hold a few already and they get me a higher pay and are required. A certification is just fine with me. That's all I'm really looking for. I don't want to be in school for a few years, I just want a better job.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2010, 12:32 PM

Wait, so you're saying you can go to a community college, get a certificate for about $900 give or take, and then be an instructor?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    Wait, so you're saying you can go to a community college, get a certificate for about $900 give or take, and then be an instructor?
    You can here in Illinois -- and even start your own school.
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 01:30 PM

Yeah.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    If that's the case, I'd choose another instructor. I would want one with experience and more education behind them than just a six month course.

I know you don't want to be a doctor Cherish, but anything that is worth it, is worth the time, effort and money.

Take LPN or CNA for example, their courses are over a year... 18 - 24 months in most cases.

If you want something quick, cheap and easy forget your local community college, you will most likely have to take some prerequisites even for the certification classes. Look more at your Vocational Schools.
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 06:54 PM

CNA is not over a year. I took mine in 9 months. I was thinking more like vocational schools.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deciding if to euthenize [ 3 Answers ]

Do I take my cat back to the pound or go to the vet and have her euthenized properly (if this is proper)? We adopted our toothless calicol about six years ago, she was about eight at the time and they didn't know what happened to her teeth. Her mouth was fine and ate quite well when we brought her...

Trouble deciding about what I am going to be [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question for you girls... What worked best for you?. being a tomboy or a girly girl? I was asking this question because I am having trouble deciding what I am going to be. From, Sam the Man or Emily??

Help deciding [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a hard time figuring out what software to use. Can someone please suggest a really good anti-virus software for PC please? Thank you

Help on deciding [ 4 Answers ]

Ok well I want to get an apple but am unsure as to the disadvantages. I have read the entire discussion fourom but still have some questions. Is there a version of Photoshop for the Powerbook G5? Laso, downloading files from the internet. If I went to a site like www.download.com could I get any...

View more questions Search