Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hayley31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Ankylosing Spondilitos
    Can you tell me if Ankolosing spondilitos in a disability as I've just been diagnosed with this also I have got irritable bowel syndrome and can I get help with the medical costs as I only work 1 day a week and can't afford presciptions that I need... :confused:

Thank you

hayley31
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:07 AM
    kylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic inflammatory form of arthritis that affects the spinal joints. The hallmark feature of AS is the involvement of the joints at the base of the spine where the spine joins the pelvis - the sacroiliac (SI) joints.

The disease course is highly variable, and while some individuals have episodes of transient back pain only, others have more chronic severe back pain that leads to differing degrees of spinal stiffness over time. In almost all cases the disease is characterized by acute painful episodes and remissions (periods where the problem settles).

Over the years AS has been known by many different names including poker back, rheumatoid spondylitis, and Marie-Strumpells spondylitis. Since the early 70s with increasing knowledge about the disease, there is almost universal use of the term ankylosing spondylitis (AS).

AS is a member of the family of diseases that attack the spine. These are named spondylarthropathies. In addition to AS, these diseases include Reiter's syndrome, some cases of psoriatic arthritis and the arthritis of inflammatory bowel disease.

You have more then just irritable bowel syndrome, because this disease encompases the bowel as mentioned above.

Hayley, you are golng to have to afford your medication. Your doctor should be able to give you some recommendations on how to get a subsidy to this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Hayley, where you live will greatly impact my answer on how to get help with your prescription meds.
    hayley31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Hi hayley again ty for your answers how ever is A S a disabillity?

Also 4 j 9 I live in hemel hempstead, hertfordshire
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Hayley, okay, you live in England and I am in Canada and even so, I couldn't say whether it would be classed as a disability. You will have to ask your doctor there if this is indeed a disability so you can get assistance in paying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search