Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rehaan_genius Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 07:41 AM
    I have an IQ 0f 180, am I gifted?
    I have an IQ of 180 and I am 17yrs old. But I need extra time to understand things in maths, physics etc but finally I become successful to understand the concepts but taking so much time. So what does IQ signifies?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Hello Rehaan

Having an IQ of 180 is rather unlikely, though not impossible.
    How and when was that measured?
    Was there not an automatic follow-up by the authorities after that test ?
    A real case of an IQ of 180 would be retested immediately, and selected for special schooling.

IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient, a figure relating to the capacity of the brain to think, not to knowledge in the brain. The AVERAGE IQ of all human beings is 100.

Here is a link to general information on IQ : note that this is just an introduction!

Note that the graphic shows that an IQ of 180 is extremely unlikely. There are very few real geniuses.

Get into contact with Mensa, if your IQ is above 140.

All the best with you.

:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Hello R:

Most genius's don't need extra time with math. I think you got a bum test.

excon
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Rehaan:

I'd hate to rain on your parade... but the IQ tests you took on myspace or Facebook mean nothing. Real IQ tests are held by real organizations where you actually have to go into a testing session, be monitored while taking the test, and you also pay a hefty fee to get tested.

Even if you did take a geniune IQ tests, the tests generally don't test how smart you are. There are certain people with autism that test extradordinarily on IQ tests... but they can't tie their own shoes.

It tests your cognitive abilities and test taking skills, as well as some logical thinking.

This, of course, doesn't mean you're not gifted. But being "gifted," ironically, takes time and effort. You have to work at it. Some genetics play into factor, but Tiger Woods can't just simply get up and start playing golf and expect to be good.

So, with that said, Rehaan_GENIUS, work on it.
    Rehaan_genius Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 09:12 AM
    A phsychiatrist took my test about a year before!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 05:15 PM

I know this is an old post, but I simply couldn't resist this one.

If you had an iq of 180, you probably wouldn't need to ask this question. Someone with an iq that high would regularly find himself far exceeding the limits of those around him. Out of curiosity, if math is not your forte, what is?

What is the name of the test you were given, and were the results documented?
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 05:29 PM

I wouldn't knock him too fast guys... while 180 is VERY rare and considered the "highest genius," he could still be one despite the fact he has trouble with math. There are several different types of intelligences... Just because he asks a question about his intelligence doesn't mean he's not intelligent either. It's probably confusing receiving such a high IQ score (maybe? ) and having trouble with math. Smart people ask questions! That's one reason they are smart ;)
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rankrank55 View Post
    I wouldn't knock him too fast guys.....while 180 is VERY rare and considered the "highest genius," he could still be one despite the fact he has trouble with math. There are several different types of intelligences.... Just because he asks a question about his intelligence doesn't mean he's not intelligent either. It's probably confusing receiving such a high IQ score (maybe??) and having trouble with math. Smart people ask questions!! That's one reason they are smart ;)
    You're right in saying that the OP may in fact have an IQ of 180. It's certainly not common, but it's not impossible either. We can't possibly know whether he does or he doesn't. Questioning the origin of the results is more than fair, especially considering the number of fun internet IQ tests found scattered throughout internet, which are not considered valid. You are right in stating that there are many different types of intelligence, and some, like musical genius, will not necessarily show up through traditional IQ tests. I think the smiles in the room come from the irony of the question itself. It's something like asking, "i am a genius, but does that mean i'm considered smart?". It was fair enough of the OP to ask his question, but it still brings a chuckle. No insults implied.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I gifted [ 6 Answers ]

I think I'm gifted... am I?

Am I gifted [ 2 Answers ]

I just found out today that my IQ was 129 and I'm 12 does that man I'm gifted?

Is he Gifted? [ 5 Answers ]

Since the age of 3 my son has spoke of Religion or anything to do with Religious aspects. One day he told my husband and I Jesus was standing right behind him. Then he went into this detailed discription of how Jesus was crucified. He descriped how he had a "nest" on his head. He physically...

Gifted or not [ 10 Answers ]

My question is: I have a 6 year old daughter that I think is gifted... she started to walk at 9 -10 months old... went from sitting to walking... has been talking very clearly since 10 months and does everything ahead... I have told the school that I think she is gifted and nothing has been done...

Is my son gifted or not? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can any one tell me if my 18month old son is girfted he sleeps inn a single bed doesn't like the cot we can understanted what he wants and he tell up what he what's he can tell us what a car a truck, motor bike and a plane are by the sound they make as they go pasted the house so is my son...

View more questions Search