Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    netmomru Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 08:02 AM
    When the hot water is on upstairs cold water runs through all faucets downstairs why?
    We had our carport turned into a room for our handicapped son and the plumber came out to plumb the bathroom. Now where we always had plenty hot water downstairs and upstairs the water downstairs only gets lukewarm and when someone is taking a shower upstairs cold water runs through all the faucets downstairs when you turn them on. Before we were able to take hot showers upstairs and downstairs at the same time. No one knows the answer and the plumber says it hooked it up right. We don't have the new room faucets hooked up yet so we don't know if we will even have hot water in it or not. Please, Please someone help us.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 08:18 AM

Did your plumber put in new shower / shower valve in this new addition ?

Jun 11, 2010, 09:47 AM

All I know is that he ran the plumbing for the shower, sink and toilet. Another man put the shower in but he hasn't got the faucet on yet.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 09:49 AM

Is that new shower finished and fully functional ?

Jun 11, 2010, 09:53 AM

The shower is just installed without being functional as of now because they don't have the shower sprayer installed or the turn on knob.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 10:00 AM

What kind / brand of shower faucet was installed in that new shower ? Delta ?

Jun 11, 2010, 10:13 AM

Yes, it is a Delta
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 11, 2010, 10:23 AM

Delta faucets come with temporary cartridge. That cartridge is nothing else but a plug to prevent dirt from entering interior of the body of the faucet. Therefore, and as a result, Cold water is allowed to enter Hot water side and to flow throughout your house. Since Cold water has more pressure than Hot water, you are getting luke-warm, or cold, water throughout the house.

Temporary cartridge is designed to stay there during construction to prevent damage to the fully functional cartridge. This cartridge is installed after shower walls and floor are tiled and sealed.

Some less experienced plumbers are not aware this detail.

To correct your present problem:

1. Close water to the whole house
    2. Remove temporary cartridge (plug)
    3. Locate real cartridge ( should be inside the paper faucet box )
    4. Insert new cartridge and trim. Leave handle in Close Position
    5. Open water service to the house

This will solve your problem. If you are reasonably handy, you could do it yourself in few minutes. Only tools you need is medium size channel locks and screwdriver.

Or call back the original plumber and ask him to correct his installation.

Let me know how you did. Milo

Jun 11, 2010, 10:35 AM

Thank you we will certainly get this checked out and I will let you know. Thank you so much.

Jun 16, 2010, 07:16 AM

I finally got ahold of the contractor that put the delta faucet in our shower and when I told him what you said he knew immediately that you had the answer and he was really impressed he said you was right on top of it and he wondered why the rest of them wasn't. He came out today and put the other one in but the water still isn't heating and he said the mixer or whatever it is called doesn't want to go in right so he has called a plumber to come out this afternoon but they are sure you are right so thanks a million and may God Bless You.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 07:59 AM

Milo I was going to rate but it will not let me You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Milo Dolezal again.

Excellent troubleshot Milo you are a live saver, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have 2 thermostats, 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs, the upstairs always runs to cold [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1 heating/AC unit and 2 thermostats. 1 for the entire downstairs and 1 for the room above my garage. The duct for the upstairs room has a butterfly valve that I think is supposed to be controlled by the upstairs thermostat. The upstairs room is always warmer in the winter and cooler in the...

I have cold water downstairs but no hot or cold water upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have water coming into the house as I have cold water in the downstairs tap but I have no hot water upstairs in the taps and no water in the toilet but there is water in the tank any suggests

No cold water upstairs, OK downstairs. Hot OK everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board. Hello. The above title is pretty explanatory, happened in my home today. Why should this be? I have run the cold tap downstairs to see if it will run dry but it is fine. Hot OK too. Happened this morning. Thames water have no cut offs. Any takers?

Hot water downstairs but not upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not getting hot water upstairs but I am downstiars. If I switch the shower on the run the tap upstairs at the same time the water gets warm but not hot but downstairs its really hot water:confused:

View more questions Search