Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajacobs725 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Is getting my ears pierced safe with scar tissue in one ear lobe?
    I have a small lump of scar tissue from clip-on earrings in my right ear lobe. I am interested in getting my ears pierced, but I don't know if it will be safe. I am concerned about the earring going through or touching the scar tissue. It feels like a small, firm sphere inside my ear lobe. I don't know if that will put me in extra pain or risk of infection. Should I just pierce near it, or should I not pierce at all? Thanks for you time.
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

Jul 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
    I have scar tissue on my ear lobes and in the cartilage from getting my ears pierced and repierced and from having them pierced with a piercing gun.

You should be fine getting them pierced, the ones on my lobes are OK and don't hurt. The issue that I have with them is that I have trouble wearing posts sometimes because they aren't long enough to make it through the scar tissue and stay on. Usually I wear leaver backs in my lobes, or anything with a hook. Hoops would probably work, too, though I don't wear them.

I did have an issue with piercing through scar tissue on my cartilage, however. In that hole I had originally put a barbell, but it fell out and I replaced it with a post earing. As I said before, posts can be problematic as they aren't long enough to make it through the scar tissue and stay attached. Well, things turned out pretty gross. I kept pressing on the back of the post to make sure it stayed on my ear, and eventually the skin on the back of my ear actually grew over the back of my earing! I ended up having to go to the ER one day (it was starting to really hurt, and my mom freaked out when I showed it to her lol) and have a doctor cut the earing out of my ear. It hurt less than getting it pierced in the first place, but it wasn't worth the 5 hour wait in the ER.

EDIT: I recommend you go to a piercer with a good reputation, don't go to some place in the mall to have this done.
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Jul 21, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ajacobs725
    I have a small lump of scar tissue from clip-on earrings in my right ear lobe. I am interested in getting my ears pierced, but I don't know if it will be safe. I am concerned about the earring going through or touching the scar tissue. It feels like a small, firm sphere inside my ear lobe. I don't know if that will put me in extra pain or risk of infection. Should I just pierce near it, or should I not pierce at all? Thanks for you time.
    I have over 20 years of professional ear piercing experience. DO NOT let anyone pierce your ears near that scar tissue, called a keloid. The tissue can actually start growing again and you could end up having to see about Doctor about having the excess scar tissue removed. ( not to mention, it's ugly!)
    sarah1524 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 06:44 PM
    I agree with jamiet I had to go to the doc because of my keloids I have 3 in one ear they removed two of them its pretty gross id advise you its not worth it wish I would have had this information...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bump on the back of my daughter's newly pierced ear [ 8 Answers ]

About six weeks ago my daughter got her ears pierced. She was doing perfectly well with them and was taking care of them beautifully. She spent the weekend with her grandparents and now has a flat somewhat painful bump on the back of one of her ears. What is this and how can we fix it?

I have a lump behind my ear lobe [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lump behind my ear lobe that is quite big. It is sore but I cannot squeeze anything out of it. I have tried bathing it with hot salt water but this does nothing. I think it is some sort of boil but how can I get rid of it.

Lump behind my left ear, constant ringing in my ears [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a lump behind my left ear and it has gotten a little bit larger. It doesn't hurt, but now my ears are always ringing,they tingle and pop a lot.This is starting to effect my sleep. I also have a constant headache , I don't know if this is related to my ears or the bulging disc in my neck...

Red itchy ears but not ear mites [ 4 Answers ]

I have a red bone coon/ grey hound pup. I have taken her to the vet and got medicine but it did not help at all. My pup has a left red itchy ear but it is not ear mites. He gave me a medicine for yeast and infection but it is not working. Has any one ever had this problem? Please help before I...

View more questions Search