Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 11:25 AM
    To bounce off what J-9 said.

In my home town the local college's Rugby team (men and womens') just had a incident of hazing and alcohol abuse. The teams were at a party together (majority under 21) and were drinking and hazing the rookies. 5 rookies were hospitalized with BAC more than 5X the legal limit. 2 were already passed out and blue, the police found them in the basement of the house. Those throwing the party had put them there so that the cops would not find them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 10, 2007, 11:30 AM
    5X the legal limit!!

OMG, depending on their size, they are lucky to be alive!!
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

May 10, 2007, 11:34 AM
    I started drinking at 18. Polish culture living in NY. I don't have a problem with people drinking alcochol as long as it is moderate. You can eaven get drunk if you have a friend with you that will keep you out of trouble and you can handle the consequences and headache from it. I have more of a negative view about cigarets and especially drugs than alcochol. I am 22 now and drink less than I did before. Before it was just about every weekend and now it is once a month that I have a beer or more. Only about 3 times in my life I got so drunk that I had to puke and never get hangovers. It not something that is necessary and I doubt that the amount most people use will hurt you. I believe it is eaven helpful for shy people to get/feel accepted in today's culture. Without alcochol or friends that introduced me to it I would still spend my nights playing videogames rather than being social with friends, family and coworkers.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 11:34 AM
    3 were on respirators and in ICU still this morning. The other 2 were still in the hospital but not in ICU. Those who were serving the alcohol are in big trouble!!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2007, 11:40 AM
    I was raised with tea-toating parents. I don't remember, but I think somewhere in my twenties. I like girlie martini's now, but only have them once or twice a year.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 10, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    My mom and Dad allowed my sister and I to try beer and wine when we were 13. I tried it, hated it. Did not drink again until I was 20. I still don't drink beer (can't get past the smell), but I love wine. But everything in moderation...
    Yep! Everything Everything in moderation...
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Had my first drink at a wedding when I was 12 - I was a bridesmaid and got a bucks fizz when they open a bottle of champaign before the church. Made me go a bit lightheaded. Drank Shady at friends houses when 14 - 0.5% we got high on the sugar. Ahh good days.

Oh and baileys at home mmm creamy.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Good thread. My grandson turns 14 end of this month. Been with me two years. In UK, drinks age 18. Have allowed him a flavoured alco drink on special occasions. My thoughts are that I'm letting him get a taste of it rather than have him go mad with it around 16 which seems to be the usual thing here.

I can go down to my corner shop and be asked by kids hanging around to buy them drink. I never would. But I must admit, I look at them and wonder if perhaps they were allowed a drink on special occasions too. Need to know if my ideas about allowing a drink on special occasions is okay or am I making a huge mistake?
    oDarlinDestroyMe Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 09:15 PM
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2007, 09:17 PM
    I was 13 when I had my first drink. I haven't had a drink in over a year, and I'm much happier...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Like Fr_Chuck, I grew up in a German-American home where we drank wine on big occasions and at holiday dinners and beer with pretzels while playing pinochle. Alcohol was always used respectfully and in moderation. As little kids, we were allowed sips that we usually spit out. Bleck!

As an adult I enjoy an occasional can of beer with pizza or a Black Russian with cheese and crackers (always liquor with food!), but have never over-indulged. After two beers, I fall asleep.

excon, pass some herb! I never tried that before. Is it good?
    VictorLy Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Jun 26, 2007, 01:37 AM
    I am 23 years old and have yet to have a single sip of any alcoholic beverages.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Wow, I was 13. All my siblings were older and they were doing it so I did too. Stupid but true. Stopped party drinking when I was around 21 and never have I had a whole beer. I hate it. Wine isn't good to me either. A good crown Royal shot or two can twist things up a bit every long once in a while. I like me with out the drinks. My mother was/is an alcoholic.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 11:01 PM
    I was 14. On my first time drinking, hung out with some buds of mine. We raided the parent's of one of my bud's liquor cabinet. We went out and I ended up jumping off a short wall and breaking my leg! Getting drunk was a very stupid thing to do. Made a huge rumor and joke at the junior high school I attended at the time. I was very embarrassed by what I had done.
    ShaunG Posts: 18, Reputation: 2
    -

Jun 28, 2007, 11:23 PM
    Here in South Africa where I live people (Children) generally start drinking at a very early age, round about 14. On the one hand I think it is a good thing because then you learn how to handle alcohol and how to control yourself. I have seen people exposed to alcohol for the first time at the age of 21 or so and noticed that they can't control / handle it and get very drunk and irresponsible. Just my opinion...
    justinl1234 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jul 1, 2007, 11:10 PM
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 1, 2007, 11:40 PM
    I'm 15, almost 16, and I intend to drink very rarely, and only once I'm at the legal age. My parents have offered sips and stuff, so I can get used to what it tastes like nowadays, so when I turn 18 I don't go on a huge binge.
    Alcohol only with food, never on its own, and never too much I reckon would be best.
    Too many people drink alcohol just to get drunk.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2007, 06:56 AM
    I was one day old! Of course that was drinking mother's milk ;)

Oh you meant alcoholic beverages? Why didn't you say so?

I guess I was 13 or 14 when I raided the liquor cabinetfor a few sips. Didn't like the taste and didn't drink again until I was legal.
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2007, 08:54 AM
    I was 13 when I had beer for the first time. When I grew up I would always see the adults drink beer and I heard other children talk about it. I finally could drink that beer and I spit it out right away. I remember I thought: "Is this it?!?!".
    In high school I had a lot of peer pressure and there were times I got drunk, but now I'm grown up enough to realize I don't like alcohol in general and I never will drink it again. And since I am a student, I will have to stand a lot of peer pressure.
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

Jul 2, 2007, 08:56 AM
    I was 19 and a half when I first started drinking. I had finished my sophomore year of college. Pretty late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search