Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philsyracuse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2005, 05:07 PM
    Gfci breaker
    My question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it OK to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I don't need two GFCI's but I have them and wanted to just use them. Is this wiring OK thanks phil
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2005, 06:23 PM
    There is no...
    Quote Originally Posted by philsyracuse
    my question is I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker that I will be installing in the breaker box. I have another 50 amp GFCI breaker box that must be installed within 5 feet away from the hot tub. Is it ok to install both 50 amp GFCI breakers for this hot tub I realize I dont need two GFCI's but I have them and wanted to just go ahead and use them. is this wiring OK thanks phil
    ... max limit on the number of GFCI's feeding the same circuit. Ought to be considering the cost...
    Sparkie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 04:54 PM
    It is OK to use the additional GFCI. The National Electric Code states only the minimum legal requirements. It will not be detrimental to the operation of the hot tub. However, you are confused by the 5 ft. rule. GFCI does not need to be located within 5 ft. of the hot tub, a readily accessible disconnect is required within 5 ft. of the inside wall of the hot tub and within line of sight except if it is for a single family dwelling. If it is for a single family dwelling, then it is highly recommended to provide it not only for safety reasons, but for maintenance shutoff as well.

Clear as mud now?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

Warm GFCI Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

In our electrical panel we have 2 AFCI breakers next to each other. One is for the master bedroom the other is for 2 guest bedrooms. Each of these breakers is warm to the touch. We have had no electrical problems in either room and it has never tripped. I just thought it was strange that these...

Gfci [ 1 Answers ]

Is there ever a situation where it makes sense to have a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker? Will having a GFCI outlet on the same circuit as a GFCI breaker cause any damage? I recently bought a house and found the situation noted above.

Gfci breaker popping [ 8 Answers ]

After installing a second outdoor fan, I tied into an existing fan under an enclosed porch.I decided it would be smart to install a gfci breaker to protect them (vs the standard breaker). The circuit is tied into my kitchen an outdoor spot lights. With all the individual light circuits either...

GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3...

View more questions Search