Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Aug 7, 2011, 06:28 PM
    Pouring Concrete in My Basement
    I am finishing up installing a french drain system on the inside perimeter of my basement. Since I was already using a jackhammer, I decided to break up a slightly larger area in one corner to add a floor drain for the utility room.

I am a novice when it comes to concrete but I have poured a concrete walkway before. Keeping a slight pitch and screeding was simple because there was a wooden form on each side of the walkway. However, in the picture below, you can see that this is a little harder for me because I'm in a corner.

I was thinking of using a 2x4 and ripping it to the proper height. I would place it on top of the footing and rest it against the wall on the right to help get a slight pitch toward the drain while screeding. This would have course require me to pull out the wood and fill in the gap with a second pour, but the floor would be nice and smooth.

Is this a good idea or do you guys have a better way of doing this?
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2011, 08:31 PM
    It looks like the existing slab is above the footing. Mark the wall with a chalk line, pour the concrete and give it 1/2" or so back to the surface drain. Looks like the drain is flush with the floor. Might want to lower the drain a bit, if possible, that way it will easily flow.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Aug 8, 2011, 03:41 AM
    It's hard to tell from the picture but the drain is actually a half inch below the old floor. I figured if the sides matched up with the old floor then I would still have enough of a pitch to the drain.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Perfect setting. Good luck and send us a picture of the finished job. Hope we helped, Brian
    machinedespair Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2011, 07:10 PM

Nail a 2x4 to the wall 1 1/2" above floor level and use the bottom of the 2x4 for guide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring concrete next to existing concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of concrete stairs, 4 steps, that I want to widen. My question is does anything have to be done to where new concrete meets existing concrete, or should I just drill into it and extend rebar into new form ? Also, I intend on topping new and old stairs with pavers. The old stairs are...

Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch....

Pouring concrete over new basement drains [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, After taking up the concrete and relocating the plumbing in my basement bathroom, I am ready to pour new cement. I have a 2" pipe for the shower drain and a 3" for the toilet. Do I cement right up against the pipes or do I need some type of wrapper around the pipe? I sure don't want to...

Pouring Concrete Slap over Concrete piers [ 1 Answers ]

I drew a fairly detailed drawing of the slab that I wanted, with the piers (flagpole support piers, with pipes down to put poles into) shown so they could do it all in one pour. Well, I guess our general contractor cannot read the drawings because all I got were the piers with the metal in them. ...

Pouring new Concrete slab over OLD basement slab [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house placed on its exsisting foundation and basement concrete floor in 1934. The floor is solid, uncracked, and level but has several areas that are very uneven. To the point, the basement is unusable for living space. Is it possible, and reasonable, to pour a new slab over the...

View more questions Search