Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajitamneni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 01:41 PM
    How will I pass the substantial residence test if I wait till June 2010
    Hi,
    Here's my case -

Came to US in Aug '06 on F1 visa. Graduated in Dec '08.

In 2009,
    Been on OPT (F1 visa) from Jan '09 to Sept '09.
    Been on H1B from Oct '09 till date.

Evidently I don't pass the Substantial residence test, so I'm a non-resident alien. I read in one of your forums that if I push filing my taxes till June, I will pass the residence test then and can file 1040.

For the substantial presence test, I have to be in US for 183 days on H1B till 2009. How will the days in 2010 be counted into the test? Does that mean I will be filing my taxes from jan '09 to jun '10?
    Could you please explain in detail how filing form 4868 now and filing 1040 later change the status for 2009.

I don't want to file as a non-resident alien because my friend and I bought a new home in nov '09 which is eligible for new home buyer tax credit. My friend being a resident alien, he qualifies for his share of the tax credit ($4000). I was on my H1 visa when we bought the home. Technically, I was a resident alien at the time of purchase.
    But, I'm a non-resident alien on the whole for the tax yr 2009, and I was told by an IRS customer representative that I don't qualify to get my share of tax credit because of the non-resident alien status.

So, is it possible to get that money if I wait till June '10 and file my tax as a resident alien?

Though I will qualify as a resident alien in June '10, I am a non-resident alien for 2009. Is it right to file as a resident for the tax yr 2009 when I was a non-resident alien?

If that is right, can I claim the new home buyer tax credit in June '10 for the home we bought in nov '09?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 10:10 PM

If you are not married, you can not file 2009 resident return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rapid Delivery Service reports the following costs and expenses in June 2010. [ 1 Answers ]

Indirect materials $5,400 Drivers' salaries $11,000 Depreciation on delivery equipment 11,200 Advertising 1,600 Dispatcher's salary 5,000 Delivery equipment repairs 300 Property taxes on office building 870 Office supplies 650 CEO's salary 12,000 Office utilities 990 Gas and oil...

Do I pass the Substantial presence test. [ 11 Answers ]

I am still trying to determine whether I pass the SPT. I worked and paid taxes in Australia until April 2008, all property, family, bank accounts still remain in Australia. Do any of the conditions under "Conditions for a Closer Connection to a Foreign Country" apply? : Conditions for a...

Dependent on H4, need to know if we should wait till ITIN? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband is on H1b and I am on H4, we are planning to file for our tax return for 2008.We live in Connecticut, manchester. All I want to know is: 1. If we apply for w7 we might get it in 6-8 weeks , so is it necessary to wait till that time? What if the deadline of 15th April will pass...

View more questions Search