Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwieland Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2006, 10:38 PM
    Lavatory sink not flat?
    We're replacing a lavatory sink, and it appears that the bottom of the new sink is not flat. It rocks from side to side nearly 1/8 of an inch. It's a 19" round Gerber vitreous china sink. If we spin the sink 90 deg, it still rocks from side to side (relative to the sink, that is). Is this sort of thing normal? Or is the sink defective, and should we exchange it?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2006, 10:49 PM
    If you bought this sink from a discount store like Home Depot that is a normal thing... if 1/8 of an inch is all that it raises up then you should raise it 1/16th of an inch on each side and put a shim under it to hold it in place and then use "Dap Tub and Tile Caulk" around the sink where it meets the top. Just enough to seal the crack and to make it look good. In a few months it will shrink a bit so then add some more caulk.

Jul 8, 2006, 11:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    If you bought this sink from a discount store like Home Depot that is a normal thing......if 1/8 of an inch is all that it raises up then you should raise it 1/16th of an inch on each side and put a shim under it to hold it in place and then use "Dap Tub and Tile Caulk" around the sink where it meets the top. Just enough to seal the crack and to make it look good. In a few months it will shrink a bit so then add some more caulk.
    It's from a local builders' supply place. They aren't open again until Monday. The high spot is right in front by the overflow. I may try going to Lowe's or Home Depot tomorrow just to look, but since the color we need is "biscuit", they'd probably have to order.

If I were trying shimming it as you suggest, what material would I use? Wood?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 9, 2006, 05:29 AM
    I've never used shims on lavatories that "rock" a little and if I did it wouldnt' be a wood one. If you have to shin something use sheet lead or those plastic shims that hardware stores sell. If the gap's a small one I load the underside up with Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk and set the lavatory. The Caulk is also a adhesive and when it sets up makes a firm underbase. Just give it time to set up and cure. In all the countless lavatories that I've set over the years I've never been called back to recaulk one because of shrinking grout. That's not to say it can't happen, just that it hasn't happened to me.
    Good luck, Tom

Jul 10, 2006, 07:45 AM
    They're going to re-order the sink, since I could show them the high spot (or low spot :) ) on the rim. We also noticed that the counter top has sagged a bit on the left and right side of the sink, exaserbating the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lavatory trap to wall connection [ 2 Answers ]

Tom - This is a real amateur question, but I can't seem to find the answer in my books. I'm installing a pedestal sink in profile opposite the bath door and need to connection to look good. The drain line is 2" PVC . I have a 1.5" chrome trap and can't figure out how to attach it to the drain...

How many turns can a lavatory drain take [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bathroom project I am working on and as I understand I can have minor drains come into the main one as long as they are vented. Is this correct? The way the bathroom ended up being laid out the toilet is the farthest from the point where the stub comes up out of the concrete in the...

Flat Paint [ 1 Answers ]

I have some flat latex paint and would like to use it in the bathroom. Is there anything I can add to the paint ot make it #1 semi glossy and #2 Mildew resistant?

Lavatory drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new lavatory in proximity to a toilet 2" vent pipe. Is it okay to tie the lavatory drain to the toilet vent pipe?

Lavatory pop up stopper [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new large Kohler sink installed in the bathroom. The pop up stopper can be twisted and pulled out. I've got the pivot rod piercing the eyelet of the stopper and I've tightened the retaining nut, but with minimal twist, the stopper just comes out of the drain. I would think that the pivot...

View more questions Search