Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    venkat2308 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 10:46 AM
    My laptop doesn't connect to wireless internet
    I have a dell inspiron laptop which has wireless capability. The OS is Windows XP Professional with SP 2.
    It used to connect to internet with the built in Wireless connector some time back . I have a desk top which I use to connect to Timewarner cable connection. It has a wireless router . So, my Dell laptop should have no problem in connecting to the wireless router. The laptop has 'intel pro/wirelss 200 BG Network Connection' wireless network adaptor. But, it doesn't connect to the internet any longer. I don't understand what the problem is.
    I thought of updating the wireless driver and went to Intel website and downloaded the latest driver for the network adaptor ,but, it still doesn't work.
    I reformatted my laptop hoping it would solve my problem,but still I cannot connect to the Internet.
    I have a linksys wireless router . My laptop identifies the router (network) and when I click on connect button, it doesn't connect to the network. I haven't set any password for my network and other laptops ae able to connect to the network. Then why my laptop is not able to connect to the wireless network ?

I tried an external wireless adaptor but still it doesn't work . The same external adaptor works fine on other laptops.
    Any suggestion?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

May 7, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Have you tried resetting the router? A couple of times (last time was during a thunder storm) my Netgear router has lost the connection to my PC and had to be set up again.

May 7, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Thanks . Itried that too... Any other suggestions?

May 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Errrmmmm... it's broken.

May 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
    The only thing I can think of is that the network card in your laptop may be faulty or has come loose.

May 7, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Thanks... But, Itried the external network card , which works on other patop, but doesn't work on this one.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

May 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by venkat2308
    I have a dell inspiron laptop which has wireless capability. The OS is Windows XP Professional with SP 2.
    It used to connect to internet with the built in Wireless connector some time back . I have a desk top which I use to connect to Timewarner cable connection. It has a wireless router . So, my Dell laptop should have no problem in connecting to the wireless router. The laptop has 'intel pro/wirelss 200 BG Network Connection' wireless network adaptor. But, it doesn't connect to the internet any longer. I don't understand what the problem is.
    I thought of updating the wireless driver and went to Intel website and downloaded the latest driver for the network adaptor ,but, it still doesn't work.
    I reformatted my laptop hoping it would solve my problem,but still I cannot connect to the Internet.
    I have a linksys wireless router . My laptop identifies the router (network) and when I click on connect button, it doesn't connect to the network. I haven't set any password for my network and other laptops ae able to connect to the network. Then why my laptop is not able to connect to the wireless network ?

I tried an external wireless adaptor but still it doesn't work . The same external adaptor works fine on other laptops.
    Any suggestion?
    Check you laptop for a winsock or TCP/IP problem...

In the DOS/Command line window, enter:

ftp localhost (& press enter),
    If the response is "connect unknown error number - your windows socket is OK;
    Post your ftp result is different.
    Enter quit (press enter) at the ftp > prompt to exit ftp.

Also, disable ALL your firewalls - including WinXP firewall

P2E
    MissAdvice Posts: 63, Reputation: 9
    -

May 7, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by venkat2308

Any suggestion?
    I have had the same problem with my dell inspiron, I found that it kept losing the drivers, why and how I have no idea. What I did to resolve the matter, was to stop using a wireless card all together. I purchased a wireless adapter and begin using it in the usb port. I have not had any more troubles. If you are committed to using the wireless card, you may want to check dells website for some of these issues. Last I checked there were no solutions. Best of luck
    ashwin809 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Hi... I had d same problem where my lappy was working fine in my college and everywhere else but just doesn't work at my place... well what I did was to check if the ip address and the gateway are the one's that were prev before formatting... ok try doing this... goto network places,right click properties.. right on wireless network connection... click properties... select TCP/IP,click properties... in general tab click advanced... c wats d ip there and the default gateway... they should be empty because d system configures by itself!. I think it should work...
    drtmusik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2009, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Press2Esc View Post
    check you laptop for a winsock or TCP/IP problem.....

in the DOS/Command line window, enter:

ftp localhost (& press enter),
    if the response is "connect unknown error number - your windows socket is OK;
    post your ftp result is different.
    enter quit (press enter) at the ftp > prompt to exit ftp.

Also, disable ALL your firewalls - including WinXP firewall

P2E
    Thank you user Press2Esc this worked for me and fixed my connection in less than a minute... I would have had to pay hundreds to the company to fix it... and again thanks :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I get internet connect through my wireless router? [ 6 Answers ]

I am on my 3rd router trying to solve this problem originally thinking it was the brand of router. I now have a netgear router and I am trying to run it on Windows XP system, the problem is this: once inserting the program cd into the desktop and loading it up I have went through all the prompts...

Wireless connection connected but can't connect to the internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I just hooked up a Linksys wireless router to my PC, and I have a connection on my laptop, but I get a "the page cannot be displayed" message when I try to connect to the internet. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks!

Connect laptop to PC problem [ 6 Answers ]

I want to connect my laptop to my PC. PC setting: Ip 192.168.1.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Laptop setting Ip 192.168.1.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0 I'm using cross over ethernet lan cable.

How to have two computer connect wireless [ 3 Answers ]

Two computer wiriless How to have two computer connect wiriless

How to connect laptop to PC [ 9 Answers ]

I've been meaning to transfer the files from my laptop to PC for a while and today I've finally bought Ethernet crossover cable... But unfortunately I do not know where to go from here. They are both running XP with SP1. As I want to transfer files form laptop to PC, I understand laptop is going...

View more questions Search