Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tombstoner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 09:04 AM
    Bryant furnace problem
    Hi All,
    I have a 5 y/o 80% eff bryant furnace. The problem I have is that my furnace
    Doesn't always kick on even when thew thermostat shows the temp under the
    Temp set. I will sometimes have to go down and turn of the blower switch on the furnace wait a couple seconds and then turn it on again. It will start the furnace
    And it will heat up to just under the temp set and then shut off again. Example:
    The other day the Thermostat showed 62 deg but the furnace was set at 69 and
    The furnace did not come on. I went down and flipped the fan switch off, waited
    20 sec and turned it back on, it started up and ran till the house was warm.
    Someone told me it was the blower limit switch? I don't know a lot about furnaces
    But I would like to fix it myself, but I don't want to replace part after part till it is fixed.
    So if anyone with experience knows what might be wrong I would really appreciate
    The help. Thanks

Henry
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 30, 2005, 12:16 PM
    When you say that you turn the fan switch off - is the fan switch located on the furance or is it located elsewhere?
    tombstoner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 12:36 PM
    What kind of switch
    Hi lotta,
    The switch is mounted on the outside case of the furnace. It looks like a light switch.
    If you switch it off the fan will not blow. This is why my friend said it was a
    Blower limit switch. I have a basic digital thermostat, Heat/Cool - ON/OFF
    Not programmable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Henry
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2005, 01:21 PM
    I have a 10 year old Bryant likely much like yours except no external blower switch. Can't understand the purpose of such a switch. Are you sure it isn't a power switch? Does your furnace have a red light showing it has power? Does it go out when you turn the switch to off?

Unless the wiring to the blower was messed up when the switch was added, likely the problem is on the control board. It has a timer that should activate the relay controlling the blower a minute or 2 after the gas comes on. Problems on the control board are difficult to find and fix. Unfortunately paying for a control board is difficult too, I paid about $300 for one.

Older furnaces use a limit switch to control the blower, but mostly timers now. There are temperature sensors in the furnace, but they shut the gas off if it fails to ignite or the blower fails to come on.

Unless you can find a problem in the wiring to that switch, likely you will have to replace the control board. No big job if you can remove about 10 wires and plugs and get them back where they belong. Note the thermostat wire, red on R, white on W, etc. I hate to say replace an expensive board without being sure it is the problem. The other alternative is to pay a technician another $100 to do it.

Will the blower come on if you select On? If so, you may be able to run the furnace that way, buying you time to order a board over the net.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Dec 30, 2005, 05:39 PM
    Ive seen poor grounding are a loose nuetral make a newer gas furnace with a control board in it do some strange things. You may want to check your grounding and neutral at the panel and at that switch
    Matureman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
    I have a very similar problem with my Bryant Furnace, when the problem occurs, the blower will stay on and the red light will be flashing. To solve the problem I will shut the Thermostat switch to the off position, and then check the red light; if the light is not flashing I will wait a couple of minutes then put the Thermostat switch back to the "heat" position. If the red light is still flashing I will shut the system down by the main power switch (the switch that looks like a wall light switch). I also noticed problems where the heat would kick on then 5 seconds later shut down, when this happens the main blower stays on and the red light would be flashing. I would also like to know why this problem occurs and how it can be fixed. Labman seems to have the best answer to the problem, and I believe what tombstoner refers to the external blower switch is actually the main power switch.
    Triumph guy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Hello Labman and Matureman,
    I have a 9yr old Bryant with the same power switch mounted on the outside. I am currently having similar problems where the fan blows but no heat. I cycled the power switch mounted on the outside and eventually it started in about 8 minutes. I can hear the furnace ignite and then shut off several times before success.
    Has anyone figured the problem out yet?
    Frdbrkl Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jan 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
    First... the switch you are referring to is a Service Switch. It's required by many local codes to shut power off to the furnace when working on it. The reason the fan shuts off... well you get the picture.

Second. Shutting off the furnace is simply clearing the error from the memory of the board, and resetting the board-it is not a repair or remedy.

The flashing red lights are Diagnostic Codes for the furnace, and the codes are listed inside the outer door. Count the slow and long flashes and refer to the code, and it will tell you what the problem is. Continuing to reset the unit will only result in delayed (and possibly additional) repairs.

Check/Change filter. Do this before ANYTHING else. If it's packed, remove it and run unit until a new filter gets there-no more than 2 days.

Reset the furnace 1 time, watch the sequence of operation (inducer motor, glowing ignitor, main burner, fan). Chances are that there are leaves stuck in the intake of the furnace and it's failing on the pressure switch OR the hot surface ignitor is bad (look for glow 30 seconds or so after little motor/inducer comes on). If it's pressure, disconnect the PVC pipe from the burner housing and remove the leaves from the intake. Then put some screen or chicken wire around the intake outside the home to prevent recurrence. If it's a hot surface ignitor (unplug ignitor and check for 120v approx 30 seconds after inducer starts), you will only be able to get one from an A/C supply house or a mechanic.

Beyond these 2 errors, I recommend calling a professional.

Good Luck!

Jan 9, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph guy
    Hello Labman and Matureman,
    I have a 9yr old Bryant with the same power switch mounted on the outside. I am currently having simalar problems where the fan blows but no heat. I cycled the power switch mounted on the outside and eventually it started in about 8 minutes. I can hear the furnace ignite and then shut off several times before success.
    has anyone figured the problem out yet?
    Pull and clean flame sensor (little metal rod on bottom left of burner compartment) held in by 1 1/4 inch screw. Remove screw, let it gently drop down-don't chip the porcelain-and clean it with double ought steel wool (you can generally find it at NAPA). Do not touch metal, do not chip porcelain, and reinsert it and restart furnace. This should clear up the problem.

Good luck!

Jan 9, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matureman
    I also noticed problems where the heat would kick on then 5 seconds later shut down, when this happens the main blower stays on and the red light would be flashing. I would also like to know why this problem occurs and how it can be fixed.
    See the post regarding "cleaning the flame sensor". Hope this helps.
    rbryantfix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 01:25 PM
    I can't answer the question but I have a similar problem to the original posting. I've been trying to troubleshoot my problem but w/ no success. Evertime I think I have a solution it doesn't work. My furnace function properly sometimes for up to a couple weeks and then I find it in a fault mode. I think its 1 then 3. The following is what I do. I turn off then on the service switch. Main blower kicks on for XX seconds. Exhaust blower kicks on then... comes the strange part. Sometimes everything works fine and continues cycle and no problems for usually a few days/weeks. The other times when it doesn't work is where it gets strange. The blower motor will stop and no ignitor and it goes into fault BUT if I give the main contol board a little knock (sometimes 2 or 3) the exhaust blower will continue and the rest of the cycle will continue. It's good again for a few days/weeks. I have taken off all the wires to the conrol board and cleaned them. I've tried to wiggle them one by one to see if one is causing the problem but... no luck. The real question is... Should I break down and buy the $300 control board?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
    If you have a fault code the furnace is shutting down for a reason. If you have a bryant code 13 is limit lock out. Its hard to tell you need to start a new post, this question was from 2005. Give as much info as you can good luck.
    coxconstruction Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 05:03 AM
    Once again... clean the flame sensor. Many times, when the furnace acts the way you are describing, it is a dirty flame sensor (or defective one).
    aljenkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Bryant plus 80 unit, my blower w/not come on, w/heat or air. I put a capacitor on and new filter. Furnace ignites but fan never comes on, no heat.
    alyshap Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 10:48 AM
    I have a question I have someone looking at my furnace he told me it was my control board so got one and he put it in no lights or anything is coming on but my board coming into it is showing it is getting 115 volts help please
    alyshap Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Comment on alyshap's post
    My furnace is a rheem classic 90s plus made in 2002
    tnepps Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 11:09 PM
    Hi, my problem is the same. The thermostat is set at 69, it gets down to 60 or 61 and blows out cold air. Eventually we turn the switch off and back on again, and it stsrts over again. Any sugestions?
    e8080 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
    If blower keep running with the burners off you got to check high temp limit switch
    GARFIELD107 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 04:18 PM
    The furnace comes on ,but it does not reach the temperature set on the thermostate before shutiing down example if I set it on 80 it goes to g65 and shuts down . When it shuts down if I jump the two wires in the thermostate the furnace will start . I do this to check the thermostate . I think the digital thermostate is bad
    tillie4me Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2013, 03:55 PM
    I have a 20 year bryant furnace model sx242nbox and the pilot light knob is stuck on, I am trying to re light it because the gas company had to turn our gas off and its stuck, I cannot move it to off or pilot. Please help someone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace with Generator problem? [ 27 Answers ]

I have a York Two-Stage Deluxe Diamond (PDU) furnace that I have recently wired to a 6 CKT transfer switch (Reliance Controls) to use with my Coleman 6250 (5000watt) gas generator. All my ckts. Work well with the generator connected, except the furnace. I switched ckts on the transfer switch-no...

Trane Gas Furnace Problem [ 13 Answers ]

I recently experienced a problem with my heat. I have a programmable thermostat and noticed that the heat wasn't on when it was suppose to be. The temperature was set to 75 but the temperature in the room was only 68. I canceled the program and manually set the temperature again to 75. The heat...

Miller trailer furnace problem [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I have a Miller oil furnace in my garage that burns very dark orange and sooty. It also keeps burning inside after the unit shuts down. I have replaced the nozzle twice with no change. The flue from the top of the unit all the way through the roof is clear. Any ideas??

Furnace blower motor problem [ 2 Answers ]

I need some help with a non-working furnace in Colorado. The furnace is an 1988 “Inter-City Products” induced draft furnace in our crawlspace. I thought I smelled a slight burning smell from a vent a day or so before the furnace stopped working. A day or so later, I noticed there was no heat. I...

New Bryant A/C compessor will not run [ 1 Answers ]

I have a newly installed Bryant 2 1/2 ton compressor unit that was installed in August 2005. When I turned on the A/C the unit would not start. I checked the disconnect near the compressor and found it to be faulty and replaced it with a new one and there is still no start up. I pulled the panel to...

View more questions Search