Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TT1976 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2017, 02:17 AM
    Single parent sole custody letter
    Background- My daughter's father and I were in a relationship but he was never involved since the beginning of my pregnancy (nor has he met my 11 month old daughter), but he does pay child support. He is not listed on hr birth certificate and she has my last name.
    What document can I carry as proof of sole custody for school applications, in the even of medical decisions and applying for a passport and while traveling?
    Is this a document I can create on my own or would I require his signature? Is it a document I can draw up using a template of some sort? Or must it be issued by a judge? If I draw it up,must it be witnessed by a notary or lawyer? And, I live in Ontario, Canada
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2017, 03:20 AM
    Is the child support court ordered? Custody can only be ordered by a court. If you went to court for support you should have gotten custody ordered at the same time. So you will need to go to court to get such a document. This will mean that he will have to consent to your having sole custody.

Is his lack of involvement by his choice or yours? Without knowing him or the situation, would suggest you may be doing your daughter a disservice by depriving her of a father.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2017, 04:44 AM
    Custody is granted though the court, so the court order granting you custody is what will be needed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 20, 2017, 05:42 AM
    Agree with the others, you need a signed order from a judge. He may be paying child support, but unless that is court ordered it's voluntary. No I don't think a judge will grant you full custody without hearing from the father.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 20, 2017, 07:21 PM
    For schools, they will require a court order showing custody. It will be kept on file in case the non custodial parent tries to pick up the child from school. I'm speaking about California, but I'm pretty certain each state would ask for a legal document filed and entered into court records.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2017, 07:03 AM
    You have received very good legal advice, and it is a great idea to formalize your custody arrangement with the court system. TeacherJenn is correct that if you ever want to stop the father from picking the child up from school, you do need a custody order showing that he cannot.

***Non Legal Advice Below***

In reality however, with the father not on the birth certificate it is pretty unlikely that you would run into trouble registering your child for school, or even obtaining a passport. (I've done both for my daughter with no issues) Your child's school won't allow someone not on the birth certificate to pick up your child unless it has been cleared by you. Honestly, there are simply too many single parents and birth certificates with a mom's name only to put people through hoops every time they need to do something for the child.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 18, 2017, 03:44 PM
    If you intend on leaving the country you will need the fathers permission. If you dont have it then the child can not leave the country. You really need to sort things out now before issues pop up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single mom with sole custody of daughter [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a single mom to my 4yr old daughter. When my ex was told I was pregnant he offered to pay for the abortion and when I wouldn't agree he left and never seen him again until custody hearing. He didn't pay anything the first year of her life and has kept trying to evade social services to try and...

How I can get my sole custody of my daughter she is living with me and my parent [ 6 Answers ]

How I can get my sole custody of my daughter she is living with me and my parents since I give birth now she is 3 years old she never see her father because we don't know where he is... But her last name on his fathers last name but I never get support from her father because he ...

Additional Child Support to the Parent with Sole Legal Custody [ 2 Answers ]

Based on the settlement agreement, each party agrees to pay equal share of private school tuition fees and extracurricular activity expenses. Does the parent with the sole legal custody has the full authority to decide on what school and activities are chosen without consulting the other parent?

Single mom wanting sole custody [ 3 Answers ]

I am due to have my baby on July 11, 2005 and I want to take my ex-husband to court to get sole custody. I work fulltime and rent a two bedroom house and my ex lives with his girlfriends parents and has had several juobs in the past year and never stays at a job for a long time. He has 2-3 felonies...

View more questions Search