Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princess1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Private calls on land phone
    I keep getting random calls from a private phone number. They do not say anything on the other end, they simply wait for me to hang up and they always call late at night. I try to call back and find out the number by using *69 but they intentionally mark their call as private. How can I find out the phone number and who is calling me?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 05:59 AM
    I'd recommend a feature called Privacy Director. It usually won't ring through from a private caller. And while you're on with the phone co, tell them you feel you're being harassed.

(Heck, it might be them calling just to try to sell more subscriptions to Privacy Director)

I've learned, too, from a friend in the business, that telemarketers get a "call credit", towards their call volume, if all they do is complete the connection. Once data is sent and the phone has rung, even if there's no completed contact, they have another "notch".
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2007, 06:47 AM
    There is another * # you can use, I think its *57, that will mark the call for your telco records. You won't see the number, but they will have a record of the call. If you get several of these calls, they can then provide the info as part of a police report of harassment. Call your Telco and ask about this.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Good info above, look through this:
    Trace Phone number, Cell Phone Directory, Phone number lookup, Phone Search, 411, Trace phone call
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    I'd recommend a feature called Privacy Director. It usually won't ring through from a private caller. And while you're on with the phone co, tell them you feel you're being harassed.

(Heck, it might be them calling just to try to sell more subscriptions to Privacy Director)

I've learned, too, from a freind in the business, that telemarketers get a "call credit", towards their call volume, if all they do is complete the connection. Once data is sent and the phone has rung, even if there's no completed contact, they have another "notch".
    I've worked for a contractor for Charter, and installed VOIP for them. We called it 'Anonymous Call Rejection'
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 25, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Try to think of who all you know of that you may think it is. And if it bothers you call the police
    corsican Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Well, there are several possibilities. 1 - use *77 in most location- this sets your phone so it rejects private numbers. 2- if 1 does not work, then set private number rejection by calling your phone service provider. 3- set your phone to accept calls only from your phone list (some cell phones only). 4- call police or use *57 (needs prior set up with phone provider). 5- contrary to popular believe it is possible to find "private" number and trace-but one needs special equipment (much bucks- 10K+) and it may be illegal to use such equipment by private individual ( I do not know USA laws regarding this issue):eek:6- Sprint users can pay for extra service which for a fee ($35 per call, an some paperwork-notary statement) calls can be trace. 7 ***Hacking advice edited out *** <>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to trace private phone calls [ 9 Answers ]

I need to know how to trace private phone calls on my phone.

Unwanted phone calls [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been getting some harassing phone calls from my boyfriend's ex I called told her stop calling is there a way to stop this without changing my number? I was going to call the police but now her daughter is harassing me too. Any suggestions please ? Phone help4

Phone Calls [ 3 Answers ]

:( my husband and I have known the other for a year this past may '07, but we got married feb '07. I found numbers in his wallet and found out he had been calling these two women. He works hard and takes care of our family and I know he loves the hell out of me. We have a very good sex life and...

Unwated phone calls [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have been getting some harassing phone calls from my boyfriend's ex I called told her stop calling is there a way to stop this without changing my number? I was going to call the police but now her daughter is harassing me too. Any suggestions please ? Phone help4

Late night phone calls [ 24 Answers ]

I have always been somewhat of a night owl, and especially so now that I have a young baby to care for. Most nights I am up until 2 am and sometimes later. However, I don't like getting phone calls after a certain time, say, 10 pm or so. Tonight a friend of mine called after 11, just to talk about...

View more questions Search