Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prexiousmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Critical thinking
    What type of fallacy is this statement? We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion.

Thank you,
    Evelyn
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 29, 2006, 09:34 AM
    It implies that giving the special consideration is the cure for a university sinking into athletic oblivion when it indeed may not be, but as to the formal name for what kind of fallacy that is, forgive me, I don't know? I would call it an assumption, in a casual sense.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 09:36 AM
    I've forgotten the names I learned in Philosophy 101, so I hope someone comes along to supply the formal answer, it but in general the answer is because it implies a premise that is 1. not stated and 2. not true.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 09:38 AM
    Is this the exam you are writing?
    http://www.siskiyous.edu/class/phil4...finalexam.html

See question #1.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 09:50 AM
    I can't tell you the type of fallacy... been too long since I took rhetorical criticism and logic.

But the issue is probably the absence of the first event (special benefits) will lead to the second event (athletic oblivion). This is like saying, taking from the church of the flying spaghetti monster, that the decline in pirates inevitably led to the holes in the ozone layer. Well, OK... its not that extreme. But one event isn't necessarily causal of the second.

The ability to attract top athletes is important to staying competitive. The assumption, however, is that you cannot get the top athletes or top coaches or funding without special considerations... or that even getting athletes who are not as good will inevitably lead to loss of competitiveness.

Then why do top programs fall? Sure there are some perrenial powers in any sport, but it all athletes at all schools get consideration doesn't that mean all schools should be powerhouses (by this bad line of thinking).

There's obviously more to having a solid program than that one event.

The slippery slope would then be that the schools with the most lax requirements would have the strongest programs. I think that's not true.

And for example, pro teams use an IQ test on prospects in camp. The tests are controversial in terms of use, but some athletes get lower interest with lower IQ ranking, with the thinking being they will not be able to memorize the complex systems used.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 29, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Doesn't this make your mind stretch back in time! LOL
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 29, 2006, 10:13 AM
    An athlete like the rest of us nonathletic type must deal with society and the laws that those in power selected for us to follow.

Our society have give men and women who are capable in handling themselves physically a higher status within our community(ies).

There is nothing more embarrassing than an athlete not able to read the contact that he or she had signed. They must rely on the kindness of strangers to help them through this jungle.

Our society has digressed to the point that a kind act or actions is considered not normal
    Athletes bring money to the school and prestige to the coaches and teachers... the bottom line is money is...

The arguments or fallacies continues - athletes should be exempt from the responsibilities place on them by our society. Therefore, the adjusting or the lowering of grades and our expectations of athletes... are our way of showing/expressing gratitude for their sacrifice of their bodies... for the sole purpose for/of our entertainment... athletes are our gladiator of the twentieth-second century... and desires are attention with gratuity and high status...

I am however confused with this statement "...we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion..." are you asking society to destroy athletics... because you assume them incapable of receiving an education... I am confused with this point... so please explain? Oblivion is illogical use here...
    prexiousmom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
    I'ts not the same exam, but has a lot of the same fallacies. Do you have the answers?
    Eve
    Credo Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Sep 9, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Hi! I believe it is either one of two things or is both (it looks like it's both). It is an EITHER/OR FALLACY (either this must happen or else this will happen), which is making an assumption rather than a claim based on proof, evidence, and facts. It is also an APPEAL TO THE CONSEQUENCES OF A BELIEF (if this is true then this will result in negative consequences), which is also making an assumption rather than a claim based on proof, evidence, or facts. Hope this helped:)
    myquestion Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Nov 2, 2006, 04:28 PM
    We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion. What type of fallacy?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Nov 2, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Is the term you are looking for "false dichotpmy"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dichotomy
    Credo Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Nov 2, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by prexiousmom
    What type of fallacy is this statement? We can recognize that athletes that participate in sports must be given special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion.

Thank you,
    Evelyn
    Hi! I think this one is a false dilemma; either X is true and Y is false or X is false and Y is true.
    myquestion Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Nov 4, 2006, 07:39 PM
    I think it is False Dilemma

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent question - critical distance [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a toilet on the second floor of our house. We have a very small room upstairs in the center of the house which is ideal for an upstairs 1/2 bath. The main 4" vent is on the gable end of the house about 26 feet away from where I want to install the new toilet. My first thought was...

How to prepare for GMAT Critical Thinking Section [ 0 Answers ]

I am preparing for GMAT. I am taking all the help from the internet. But the Critica Thinking Section is confusing me. Recently, I have started learning logic which teaches categorical syllogisms but the type of questions I see in this subject are completely different from what they ask in the...

I need a critical English eye to my introduction [ 2 Answers ]

:) I am from Poland. I really need a person who speaks English very well. I would like somebody to correct any mistakes in my introduction , conclusion and summary to MA thesis. Thank you.

Boyfriend critical of way I dress... [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I have this boyfriend, and he and I have been going out for 7 months. I like to dress in baggy clothes, because they're comfortable. He, on the other hand, has a problem with them. We had this big fight about a month or two ago and he told me that looks don't matter, so we were okay (with...

View more questions Search