Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honda6119 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 06:22 AM
    1994 Honda Civic EX will not start
    I am having problems with getting my 1994 Honda Civic EX to start. I am getting no spark at the spark plugs, but I am getting fuel to them. I have read through the FAQ listed in the forum on the subject. I have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, distributor cap and Igniter Module. I have checked the coil resistance and found it to be in spec. I have also run the resistance checks on the sensors inside the distributor and have found them to all be in spec. I have inserted the jumper wire in the diagnostic connector to read the codes from the ECM. The response that I got was that the Check Engine Light stayed on continuously (no flashing of any kind) and the SRS light flashed steadily (no pattern for reading a number). I have removed power (disconnected battery), rerun the test, and got the same response. This condition is not identified in the Haynes manual that I am using. Can anyone provide any guidance? Sounds like the ECM is bad (not much else to replace, unless the distributor sensors can pass the resistance check and still be bad).
    Van Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 03:45 PM
    You are getting no spark at the spark plugs. I have to civic 92. The engine cut off after 5 to 20 minutes. We checked and found no spark at the spark plugs. We let the engine cool down or put on ice pack on the distributor for a few minutes , the spark will come back then the engine start again.
    This is just a though since you checked and replace most items but not the distributor yet. Good luck.
    :)
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Nov 26, 2005, 12:04 AM
    One thing I always suggest is that you find someone who has the same engine as you, and ask them to try their ECU in your car. If it works - you know you have a faulty ECU. If it acts the same way - you know your ECU is fine. Just make sure you get the same ECU (same engines use same ECUs).
    djcleer Posts: 5, Reputation: 4

Nov 26, 2005, 08:09 AM
    94 civic no start
    One more thing you should check is to make sure the distribtor is turning while cranking the engine. If not, check the timing belt. It is possible to have fuel pressure and no spark on that engine with a broken timing belt, as the fuel pump is primed when the key is turned on.
    honda6119 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2005, 07:03 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I have been unable to get the engine started, so it does not appear to be an issue with cooling down the distributor and sensors inside to get it to work. I have checked the distributor to make sure the shaft and rotor are spinning. With regards to the ECU, I do not have another one available to swap with. I was hoping that someone had seen the response to the diagnostic check that I described before I go out and get a new ECU.
    evil_civic Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 07:14 AM
    93 ex also not showing ecu codes...
    Hi, I've had the same problem with my civic.. It has fuel but no spark... Not sure if it's the distributor or the timing belt. I replaced the cap, rotor, and resoldered the main relay. I tried shorting the circuit on the passenger side and had the same problem you had. Either we both have faulty ecus or it only works for the generation of civics before ours.

Jan 24, 2006, 07:15 AM
    93 ex also not showing ecu codes...
    BTW, I also replaced the spark plugs. I don't want to end up replacing random parts but am not sure how to check resistance in the distributor.
    copen Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 05:11 AM
    The same thing has just happened to my 95 Civic EX.Parked it night before last and it wouldn't start yesterday morning.No spark.Can someone tell me where the ECU is on this model?Or make any further suggestions?

Jan 28, 2006, 10:07 PM
    The ecu is under the carpet against the wall near the passenger side door. Just behind the glove department should be a green housing with 2 harnesses. One harness has 3 pins and the other has 2. If you get a paperclip or anything that shorts the 2 pin wire and click your ignition to "II", it should show you some error codes on the cluster. I believe it was the SRS light that flashes but one of them on the cluster will flash. Long flashes represent the first digit and the short flashes represent the second.

Here's the codes:

0: Engine Control Module

1: HO2S Or O2S

2: HO2S Or O2S{2}

VSS{1}

3: MAP Sensor

4: CKP Sensor{2} - Vacuum Switch{1}

5: MAP Sensor

6: ECT Sensor

7: TP Sensor{2}

M/T Clutch Switch Signal{1}

A/T Shift Position Signal{1}

8: TDC{2}

Ignition Coil Signal{1}

9: No. 1 Cylinder Position Sensor

10: IAT Sensor

12: EGR System

13: BARO Sensor

14: IAC Valve{2}

EACV{1}

15: Ignition Output Signal

16: Fuel Injector System

17: VSS

19: Lock-Up Solenoid Valve

20: Electric Load Detector

21: VTEC Solenoid Valve

22: VTEC Pressure Switch

23: KS

30: A/T FI Signal A

31: A/T FI Signal B

41: HO2S Heater

43: Fuel Supply System

48: HO2S{3}

Please let me know if you get any error codes because from what I've read, none of the people with our model civics have gotten any codes but they state that it'll show error codes in the service manual...

Jan 29, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Thank you evil civic.I'll let you know what shows up asap.

Jan 29, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Evil civic... I found the two female connectors,one 2 pin and one 3 pin in blue plastic housings in a green wrap.I tried jumping the 2 pin connector with a paper clip and got nothing in the way of a diagnostic code in the instrument cluster.Does this tell you anything?I hate to take it into the shop cause they'll probably just start installing parts.

Jan 29, 2006, 06:07 PM
    You did turn the key to position "II" ("ON") when you jumped the 2 pins and then checked for codes?

Jan 30, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Yes sir I did.And just this aftrnoon,replaced the ignitor.Nothing

Jan 31, 2006, 07:50 AM
    So you're not getting any spark whatsoever? It may be a faulty ignition coil. You've only replaced the coil? I have the same problem as you right now as I'm not sure about purchasing an ignitor unit... I've ran diagnosis for the ignitor unit and it turns out that all voltage/resistance going to it is perfect...

Jan 31, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Not the coil .The ignitor assy.That was the easiest,least expensive and best first guess I came up with.Aftermarket.I worked in a Honda dealership service dept. for about 11 years and the ignitors used to cause problems then,just in a different way.When they were failing,the engine would die until it cooled off.
    I left Honda in 89 and don't have any manuals to refer to for the "later" models.Was hopeing to get back to you with good news on the ignitor ,but...
    May try the coil next.Let you know.

Jan 31, 2006, 04:25 PM
    If all the circuitry (around the igniter) tests show up good, then the igniter is most likely bad.

Feb 1, 2006, 01:33 AM
    CroCivic91... Have you had any problems with aftermarket ignitors?
    Quite a difference in price!
    Aftermarket-92$
    Honda/Hitachi-212$
    Trouble is,didn't fix anything.:D

Feb 1, 2006, 04:45 PM
    I haven't had any trouble with them. I found this spare igniter that had NEC written on it (forgive me if I don't know what that stands for) and it works fine in my car (Civic '90) for half a year almost. Also, my friend has the same one, and it works for over 2 years in his car (Civic '91).

Feb 2, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Hey guys... Just wanted to let you know that a new ign. Coil solved my problem.
    Thanks for your help/input.
    Sincerely,copen

Feb 2, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Can you now take your old ignition coil and run the tests in the FAQ on it, and report back what you got?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

1994 Honda Civic No-Start [ 1 Answers ]

1994 Honda Civic,156k, No-Start Problem. Car ran great until I left it parked outside for two weeks (unusually hot weather). Now it cranks but won't turn over. I removed and inspected the main relay, joints looked okay but I replaced with new part just in case. Still no start. I can hear the fuel...

Need to start my Honda Civic [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 93 civic and it decided to stop working the other day, doesn't even try to start. I tried jumping it but that does't seem to work. I just checked this website here and realized that there are about 7-8 different things that it could be, and I would probably have to take my axel off to...

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so now the ignitor and the coils have been replaced and the car still will not start. My neighbor, who is a Honda mechanic, says that my only other option is to replace the computer... IS THIS TRUE>>?? :(

91 Honda Civic 1.5 won't start [ 11 Answers ]

I bought this car... it ran terrible. I had the fuel tank and lines drained due to contaminated fuel. Then I had a tune up done to it by my friend who is a Honda Mechanic. It ran but continued to have a miss (w/ no noise) just a jerk in the car that I could feel and my passengers. If and when it...

View more questions Search