Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverkidrock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Reconfiguring a netgear router
    I need to reconfigure my netgear router. Can someone help with this issue?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jan 8, 2009, 07:36 AM

Reconfigure how?
    What do you want to do, and what model is it?
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 07:17 PM

Yeah! We are unsure of what you want the outcome to be.

What brand/model?

Where's it at now?and where do you want it to be?

We cannot help without more info.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 14, 2009, 07:23 AM

We can get you into some general settings, but it's best to not mess around with them unless you know what they do :)

That said:

Open up the command prompt (most versions of windows, it's start > run > cmd (or command)
    Type ipconfig /all
    Under where it says "Default Gateway", type that number into the address bar on your browser. Generally it will be something like "192.168.1.1" or 192.168.0.1"
    This should bring up a login page. If it doesn't try it with http:// in front, like this: http://192.168.1.1/

If you haven't changed the password on the router, the username and password are usually one of the following:

Username: admin, administrator, root, user, or leave blank
    Password: admin, administratos, root, password, or leave blank

I've seen a lot where the username and pass were both admin, and where the username is administrator and password is blank. I'd start with those two.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 09:01 AM

There should be a reset button on the back of your router. (you may have to hold for 30 seconds)

Once this is pushed it deletes all security that has been setup and puts your router back at a default state. (like when you bought it)

Like the previous poster said your default gateway depends on your router ie:
    http://www.anameless.com/blog/default-passwords.html
    The link above will show the default IP for all brands and also includes the default username and password.

Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Netgear router issue [ 2 Answers ]

So I got an xbox 360 and set up a wireless network. Everything was working fine, but the next day when I turned on my laptop I got a "passkey invalid" message. Retyped it a few times, then gave up and reset it. Again, everything works fine... until the next day, "passkey invalid." My network...

I need to reconfigure my NETGEAR Router [ 2 Answers ]

My internet provider has confirmed with me that I have a successful internet connection (obviously, because I am writing this), but they tell me I have to Reconfigure my router and won't help me past that. I have a Netgear WGR614 v4 wireless router. I had some issues with my provider over the...

Reconfiguring a netgear router [ 1 Answers ]

After Aol main computer went down ny riyter setting need to be reconfigured how do I do this?. I can't ring them as I'm only using broadband and don't have a phone :(

Reconfiguring my router for the Nintendo Wii [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have recently bought an Nintendo wii and I keep getting an error that it cannot connect. After browsing a few help sites for the Wii I discovered that I have to switch my router into mixed (whatever that means) I have already tried to put 192.168.1.1 in my internet explorer, but he...

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search