Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldie_9256 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Bankruptcy and car
    My friend has over $20K in debt. Her car is paid off. It's valued at about $6K. The exemption for the car is $3225. How can she keep her car? I read that you can pay the difference to the trustee and keep the car, is this true? She does not want to go to one of those title companies.. the interest and payments are way too high. Any suggestions?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jun 17, 2010, 09:14 AM

Would it be possible for your friend to talk with bk attorney?

Jun 17, 2010, 04:35 PM

Well.. she sort of has but we did not specifically ask this question... but I was curious if anyone in this forum knew.

Jun 17, 2010, 05:11 PM

How can you "sort of" talk to a lawyer? You all either did or didn't and its seems to me that if you discussed bk that would have been included in the conversation. Something does not sound quite right here. But as far as your question maybe someone that is an expert in bk could help answer this for you

Jun 17, 2010, 05:16 PM

I believe they discussed the car.. but not the part about paying the difference to the trustee and keeping the car. I just read this online. I was just wondering if anyone in this forum had experienced this situation. She will be talking w/ a BK attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 06:25 PM

Well she is willing to pay the trustee over 3000 dollars, but complaining about high interest to use a title loan place??

Sorry something sounds wrong,

But some ( not all any longer) bankrutpcy attorneys offer a free first visit, and others do it for a low fee. They need to sit down with all of their property lists and see where they are.

There are income to debt ratios that have to be meet to even be able to file

Jun 17, 2010, 07:27 PM

She has NO assests except the car. The one title place she checked was 12% interest PER DAY.. and the payment on $3000 loan for 24months is one she cannot afford. She has not had a formal meeting with the attorney.. but I am sure we can figure it out.. the other issue is she just got served yesterday.. so she is being sued for one of the credit cards. She has to do something quickly. $20K in debt, $8./hr job, $500/month rent.. I say she qualifies for Chpter 7, no problem. There is a lot more to this story which I can't get into... but that's the story. Just thought I would check it out here. If the only answer here is to check w/ an attorney... she will and please don't respond. We get that. If my question is an issue for anyone.. please don't respnd. Just asking to see if anyone has experienced this and what their situation was.

Jun 18, 2010, 09:21 AM

Look, you come to this site asking for help so please don't tell people not to answer just because the answer is something you don't want to hear. You stated there is more to the story then you can get into and that tells me something still does not sound right.Unless you can give the full story we can't give you the correct information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Bridgeport Bankruptcy a legit company to file Bankruptcy with [ 7 Answers ]

Is Bridgeport Bankrupty online service a good company to file Bankruptcy. Are there any major reported complaints, like not filing Bankruptcy properly or at all.

I live in NYC. Unemployed 2 years. Just paid off car note. Can creditors take car? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NYC. Unemployed 2 years. Just paid off car note. Can creditors take car?

Financed car and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If I am financing a car and go not bankruptcy do I lose the car? Please advise

Court Judgement, Bankruptcy and car value Q's [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am really scared right now and hope that someone can help me answer a few questions. I submitted my answers to a complaint from Capital One and their lawyers/ debt collectors the other week and today I received a court date for the end of this month. The lawyers say that they will be...

View more questions Search