Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 24, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Polyurethane over paINT
    Do I put a satin polyurethane over a painted cabinet?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 07:22 AM

Yes you can but tell us what you are trying to achieve.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 07:28 AM

In my experience, this will not work. Polyurethane stain is designed to "sink into" the material it's put on. It will not be able to penetrate the paint. You'll end up with a runny mess.

Sep 24, 2008, 07:29 AM

Rick I think your mind transposed the word satin into stain.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 07:33 AM

Haha, yes it did!

I was focusing on the word Polyurethane. I've tried only a couple times with Poly over paint and had no luck. I don't think that the finish (satin - flat - gloss) would matter, though, would it?

PS - in any event, I'd highly recommend trying it on a spot before going full out on the whole project.

Sep 24, 2008, 07:36 AM

They pretty much eliminated flat from the poly lineup but the others are still going strong. I have had good luck with spray poly over paint, two light coats. If I brush the poly my first coat is not thick, more of a tac surface and the second coat sticks better and flashes better. Always got to watch for runs.

Sep 24, 2008, 08:55 AM

Hey Rick, thanks for the compliment. Minwax does make a stain poly called PolyShade. I do not use it much because each coat makes things get darker and you just don't have as much control as with rubbed stain. Have a good one.
    Bob
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 24, 2008, 10:13 AM

ballengerb1 - you earlier told me if I put a polyurethane in my cabinet with an odor I didn't like, it would take care of the odor. Should I put it over the paint? I think it's latex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Polyurethane on engineered hardwood flooring [ 4 Answers ]

I installed engineered hardwood floors in my living room in the instructions it said to put polyurethane on the floor when finished so that's what I did but now some spots on the floor are spotty and some are smooth and shiny what should I do. How can I take the polyurethane off the floor.

Brick Fireplace hearth - can I put polyurethane on it? [ 2 Answers ]

The brick on my fireplace hearth seems very dull compared to the shiny refinished wood trim in the den. I would like to put polyurthene on the hearth to give it some sheen. Is it safe to do that?

Polyurethane glue on engineered hardwood floor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband and I installed an engineered hardwood floor in our living room/dining room/kitchen. We used urethane glue per the manufacturers instructions and mineral spirits again per the manufacturer's instructions to clean up any excess glue. Unfortunately we are left with "glue smears" on...

I am a girl and have to figure out what paint and how to paint my barn? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so now that I have your attention.. I have a very old existing barn with not much paint on it. Who knows when and with what type of paint was used it is so weathered. I think I can just paint over it. In its condition I would have to sand it. The paint is not flaking it is just very weathered...

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

View more questions Search