Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda49058 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Drain pipe leaking
    :confused: under my kitchen I have drain pipes that run to a large pipe that goes down into ground.I have no idea what this called(sorry)where the drain pipe and this large pipeconnect is leaking.How do I repair this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2006, 08:10 AM
    Hi Amanda,
    Before we can help we need to know exactly what you have. You describe a "S" trap but it could just as well be a horizontal pipe that runs over and connects into a large pipe that serves as a vent. Also you failed to tell us what joint was leaking. Solder joint? Glue joint? Compression joint? And what material and size the pipes were. In short we just don't have enough information to address your question. Regards, Tom
    amanda49058 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Sorry new homeowner.my house was built in 1960.in my kitchen drain pipes are 3 inch metal pipes that run to the main drain.where the metal pipes connects main drain is leaking.this area is also threaded.help?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Hey Amanda,
    " my kitchen drain pipes are 3 inch metal pipes that run to the main drain"
    Mandy, You're doing great. I now know how old your pipes are and that they are made of metal. What kind of metal? Copper? Galvanized? Chrome over brass?
    " my kitchen drain pipes are 3 inch metal pipes that run to the main drain.where the metal pipes connects, the main drain is leaking.this area is also threaded."
    What's threaded? A galvanized drain line? A brass threaded adapter for copper slip to IPS threads?
    Threaded into what? A cast iron drainage tee on a stack?
    Would there be a compression fitting That you could loosen up so that you can tighten the threaded joint with a pipe wrench? Is the joint that's leaking on a horizontal pipe or a vertical one? Talk to me, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking pipe, again [ 9 Answers ]

My mains water is supplied via a lead pipe, which has now decided to spring a leak. How can I fix this? Help please, as it is driving me nuts.

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Leaking drain pipe in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a drain pipe coming from my sink that is backing up into my kitchen floor. It seems that has ate away at the concrete and the water is backing up through the damaged pipe through a hole located under my sink and bottom cabinets. I can see the where the water is coming out but I don't know...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search