Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mooredads Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Toilet , 4" pvc to 3" cast
    I have a home with a basement and problems with a toilet on the first floor.
    I had to repair the floor because the old cast flange was leaking. I cut out
    The flange and around 4 foot of old cast 3" pipe. I repaired the floor and used
    a 4" pvc flange and 4" pvc pipe with a 4"to3" rubber boot to connect to the old 3" cast pipe. I thought by going with bigger pipe from the toilet to the old 3" would provide better flow. The toilet flushed great for about a month and a half. Now it only goes down about every 5 flushes.

Sould I have used 3" to 3" ? I do have small kids that might have put something in the toilet. Not sure.

Please HELP. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2006, 10:35 AM
    "Sould I have used 3" to 3" ? I do have small kids that might have put something in the toilet. Not sure"
    I can see nothing wrong with increasing to 4" unless the rubber boot has developed a sag that solids can build up behind. This is why I recommend a No-Hub Band,(see image) in place of a Fernco Rubber Coupling. It makes the line more ridgid and prevents sag.
    To check the bowl to see if the kids dropped something down into it take a double handful of TP and flush it down. If the toilet backs up then the bowl will need to be augered out to remove the clog. Good luck Tom

Jul 30, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Thanks Speedball.

I am using a 4" to 3" rubber boot. It is to thick and short to have a sag. There is a section on it that might cause a blokage from going to 4 to 3.

It is an old Toilet. It would not hurt if I replace it. I will replace it and go from there.

Thanks Again Steve
    allozier Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 30, 2006, 05:04 PM
    If its an old toilet you may have mineral deposits built up in the trap and in the jets. You may try augering out the trap and taking a coat hanger and clean out the jets in the bottom of the toilet and the small jets under the rim of the toilet bowl. Also if it's a old toilet it probably is a 3.5 gallon flush verses the 1.6 gallon flush that they sell these days. I don't know how tom feels about the 1.6 gallon flush toilets but I do not like them. If I were you I would try to fix the old one but that is just my opinion.

Aug 2, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Thanks

I wanted a new Toilet but I do see the advantage of the older Toilets.

More water would flush further down the drain.

Thanks again Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to move toilet left 1" (cast iron) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My current problem is I have cast iron plumbing in a concrete floor in a basement. Once the walls were finished and the new travertine floor in I noticed that the center of the toilet flange was only about 10.5" from the wall. This would make it a little tight on the left side when...

"Bang" when toilet flushed [ 4 Answers ]

The first time a toilet is flushed in the morning, we get a loud 'bang' sound (very rude awakening!). We've isolated it (I think) to an outgoing problem by turning off the water supply to the toilet and then flushing it. What could be causing this?

Two parts: moving toilet over 4" and connecting to 4" black plastic to make shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi friends, I have a concrete slab foundation. In one full bath, I'm changing out the tub to put in a sauna tub, going from 60x30 to 60x32. The toilet is right next to the tub, so I want to move the toilet over at least 4" and change the sink to a pedastal sink to make room for the move for...

Shower flange"cast iron" [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stand alone shower on a slab foundation that leaked I pulled the floor out and the cast iron flange for the liner is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. How do I go about this and where do I get the parts.

View more questions Search