Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2005, 08:25 PM
    24 V Transformer Bad, No AC
    One hot Summer day, My Central Air went out, but the fan continued to run even when the thermostat was turned off. The smell of burnt electrical wiring throughout the house. I removed the front cover of the air handler, unplugged the 120 VAC power cord and When I checked the circuit it was obvious that the 24 volt transformer had burned out. I replaced it and included a fuse in the circuit. I also discovered that the wires going to my outdoor ac condenser unit had been shorted by the gardeners weed wacker. After making a repair and installing a conduit to protect the wires from future damage the unit appeared to run fine. The following day, after working for a short period, I have been informed by my wife that the unit is not working. I rechecked the fuse and the transformer output. All seem to be in working order. Any suggestions about what to check next?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2005, 08:55 PM
    I would go back over the wiring you repaired. The fan should have quit when the transformer fried. That suggest problems in the furnace controls. Unfortunately, the newer furnaces have them on a circuit board, more difficult to trouble shoot. Thus, when a relay goes out, it is easier to replace the $300 board, than verify it is the relay and replace it. The relay to the compressor and its fan is a stand alone unit easily checked. If you have power to the coil, but not the load side of the relay, the rely is bad.
    genie05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2012, 01:43 AM
    How do I check to see if blower is running in right direction

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

24v Transformer [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find a good source for a 24v transformer. I am working on a project that will use a digital home thermostat to control a couple of 24v relays. I've found all of the parts but a suitable, cheap, 24v thransformer. I thought this would be the easiest part to find but it is turning...

Transformer [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I've constructed a velleman amp, 2x30watt output, model K4003. Now to power this you need a 50Va transformer. I bought one and the pins along the input side are labelled 0 120 0 120 and the output 0 12 0 12

Transformer [ 3 Answers ]

What happens inside a transformer that increases or decreases the voltage?When a transformer steps up voltages,from where it creates thes voltages?

Using AC/DC transformer with flash gun [ 3 Answers ]

________________________________________ I have a pro flash gun (Toshiba ES-38L) which is powered by 6 AA batteries arranged in series. The voltage across the positive and negative terminals is therefore 9 volts. It eats up batteries and I would like to use it with an AC/DC transformer. I...

24v transformer bad [ 3 Answers ]

My 24v transformer is bad on my gas pack heat and ac unit. I replace the transformer 2 months ago... I replaced it again yesterday. This time it went bad in 4-hours. What is shorted to blow the transformer? Also, DC is used to pull the a/c and fan relays, right? Where is the 24v ac...

View more questions Search